Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

What kind of mileage are you getting

Post by The_Eagle » Apr 23 2010 8:17 pm

No I don't mean getting to the trailhead,
but rather how many miles are you all typically getting out of a pair of Trail Shoes.

I have a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators that have been very kind to my feet this year, and fit like a glove, but the bottoms are starting to smooth out a bit after 300+ miles. Is this typical shoe wear that the rest of you have been seeing?
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: What kind of mileage are you getting

Post by joebartels » Apr 23 2010 8:22 pm

That seems like a ballpark figure to me. It'll be interesting to hear what others say. I knew a few that track that stuff but can't remember who.

I think my tevas get more in the thousand range :)
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Apr 23 2010 8:41 pm

It's all in the midsoles. EVA midsoles, as in running shoes, doom a boot within 400 miles, and I think that's what you're dealing with. PU midsoles last much longer, but they add a lot of weight.

fricknaley
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by fricknaley » Apr 23 2010 8:45 pm

~300 miles for me (soloman and montrails mostly)
hi

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Apr 23 2010 8:58 pm

I am on my 3rd pair of Vasque Boots. The first one only lasted a year, and even though the sole was vibram, it didn't last as long as the upper part of the boot, and it was expensive. About $150. I think I got 450 miles, maybe 500 miles out of the boot. I bought a new pair and after 2 months I had to take them back to REI when the leather upper part started to rip apart. It seemed the stitching quality was down. Fortunately, they were replaced for free. I think for the price, the comfortable Merrell's are a good deal.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Apr 23 2010 9:00 pm

I've been using Merrell Moab Ventilators lately too, 300 miles seems pretty average for that shoe. I may try out a different brand next time, but if Nick says about 300 for Soloman and Montrail, it might not matter a whole heck of a lot. Personally, I hate lugging around big heavy boots, I'll probably always be a "light hiker boot" type.
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Apr 23 2010 9:16 pm

my last pair of Montrails bit the dust, after a mere two backpacks. toe rand coming off, lugs falling off. ive been wearing Montrail for several years, just because they fit right out of the box every time. I had some Salomon XA comp's and those are by far the best fitting, longest lasting trail runner ive used. Got about 400 miles out of 'em.
it really doesnt matter, vasque, inov8, montrail, salomon, 5-10, they all last about the same. i found the chintzy merrels to wear out faster than any of the others. i am on the hunt for another sale on the XA comp Pro. too good to pass up. ;)
:D

JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Apr 23 2010 10:32 pm

I got at least a thousand from my Vasque Switchback GTX's, and I'd better get at least that many from my Asolo TPS 520 GV's considering how much they cost. The results so far seem pretty encouraging. Banged out 9 miles today like nobody's business.
I'm 6'4" 205 lbs. and have size 11.5 feet, so I'm hard on footwear. Those Vasque Switchbacks are easily the finest hiking boots I've ever owned. Obviously, I'm a fan of full-leather hiking boots because I'd need soon need medical attention if I hiked in low-tops.

MtnBart01
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Apr 24 2010 9:29 am

I've got over 100 miles hiking that I have logged. Plus another 350 + miles running and walking pavement time on my fivefingers treks. It's a test in progress but I am no where near ready to retire them for the spare pair I received from Vibram. :D I Initially was concerned about some minor delamination of the sole and they sent me another pair but they have not gotten any worse despite rough terrain, snow, creek crossings, and a good machine washing after every hike. I generally wash them 1 time/week besides the hikes which has been very effective keeping them from smelling like a dead animal. This was my biggest concern initially since I don't wear socks, but i have not found it to be a problem. I don't really wear anything else anymore except when I am at work. I have a cheap pair of goretex merrells in the winter and a pair of teva river shoes for the summer. I found that I go through a pair of each every year until I started working out barefoot at work. I am sure teva sandals wear better than their water shoes which have the spyder rubber.
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

wallyfrack
City, State: AZ

Post by wallyfrack » Apr 24 2010 9:59 am

I'm in the 300 miles range as well. Some the soles have worn down, some the seams have split and others the right shoe breaks down. I tend to overpronate with my right foot only. I like trail runners but I tear them up so a mid boot is best for me. They're light enough to move with some protection & durability. Of course the terrain factors in as well. If you hike up and down camelback (or any rocky trail) a lot or get the shoes wet or waterproof them it all factors in.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 24 2010 10:01 am

I used to always get my Vasque boots resoled, sending them to Dave the Cobbler in Seattle. He does a wonderful job. He will resole tevas, trailrunners, Birkies, etc. but I am not sure it is worth it with the less expensive shoes. It is not cheap.

I can no longer wear Vasque boots, alas, since they don't come in my size any more. They stopped making narrows. I am going to Tucson in August for WFR recert and may see if Summit Hut can fit me with something. Until then, I will stick to my crummy New Balance hiking shoes since they do make my size, kind of. They are still too wide, even when labeled "narrow." I have to add insoles, double sox, etc.

I can't imagine having my act together to the point of keeping track of miles used per shoe. Who has time for that? All I can say is, Vasque Newbriar and Sundowner boots lasted forever. Cheapos I wear now last less than a year. I am not too hard on shoes as I am a small person and light on my feet.

And I feel discriminated against because my size is no longer available. Grrr... The whole topic of hiking shoes throws off my day. I spend hours on the internet researching boots and shoes, trying to find a vendor who still has some Vasque boots leftover in my size, or other brand besides crummy New Balance.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Apr 24 2010 10:43 am

azbackpackr wrote:I can't imagine having my act together to the point of keeping track of miles used per shoe.
Just add up the miles on your triplogs. If you don't want the whole world to know then throw hints in the private notes section.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

johnlp
City, State: chandler,az

Post by johnlp » Apr 24 2010 11:49 am

I have about 350 miles on my latest pair of Merrels and I'm starting to feel them beaking down. Just got some Brooks Cascadia trail runners which I really like. Lighter than the Merrels, more comfort and cushion, and the traction is great. I hiked 17 miles in them new out of the box, without any break in, and no ill effects. Time will tell how long they last.
“Good people drink good beer.” Hunter S Thompson

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 24 2010 12:25 pm

joe bartels wrote:
azbackpackr wrote:I can't imagine having my act together to the point of keeping track of miles used per shoe.
Just add up the miles on your triplogs. If you don't want the whole world to know then throw hints in the private notes section.
That would mean I would have to also get around to posting all my triplogs. ;)
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

imike
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Apr 24 2010 1:18 pm

I bought an off brand pair of running shoes and a pair of boots at a discount house... and destroyed each on a single hike...six hours and they were done for...

My normal pattern is to buy six to eight pair of running and/or trail shoes, usually New Balance, at time, and mix them up wearing a pair every third or fourth day... such that my feet get a variety of impacts from the shoes, and the shoes get to completely dry out between uses. A pair tend to last me 4 to 6 weeks of daily wear... so, 200-300 miles is about right. I don't wear the tread out, instead I destroy the cushioning. I get some extra uses by replacing the insoles with gels a few times... usually relegating them to wet weather mudders...

sandals... now those last... never have worn out a pair yet, but never wear them full time. they force a lighter foot plant, and less heel strike...
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Apr 24 2010 1:23 pm

imike wrote:they force a lighter foot plant, and less heel strike...
good point

I'm still amazed that my tevas have survived the sharp jagged rocks on Squaw so well. What kind of rocks are those Jake?
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Sun_Ray
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Sun_Ray » Apr 24 2010 3:01 pm

I've been getting 250-350 miles off the trail New Balance low cut shoes for several years. I have about 50 miles on my first pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators. So far I love the way they feel. Have not been on a 10+ miler in them yet....that's usually the test as the ball of my feet hurt if the shoes to light for me. I'd be happy if I get 300 miles on them.
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!

tahosa
City, State: Fort Collins, CO

Post by tahosa » Apr 25 2010 4:51 pm

I've used nothing but Vasque for the last 20 years and they have worked for me. I think my last ones while in CO were the Zephyr, I'm currently using the ~Ranger~, and have about 400 miles or so on them. They are starting to wear, the leather feels like it has splayed, the soles are still good. But they are on their way out. I'm probably going back to a heavier boot the next time, just because that is what I prefer.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 25 2010 5:03 pm

I'm gonna start wearing my Vasque Wasatches a lot more, despite them being so heavy. Won't hurt to try them for awhile, anyway. I have hiked about 18 miles over the past 2 days, and those darned New Balance lite hiking boots just don't have the support. Wish they still made the lighter Vasque in my size, though, alas.

BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Apr 26 2010 7:14 am

Salt Trail chewed up and spit out a new pair of New Balance trailrunners. Another pair lasted 3 Motherlodes :y: . I'd say on normal trails my Montrails have lasted about 200 miles and still kickin. Salomon have lasted longer(time wise) because they are too dam narrow ](*,) and I don't wear them as much.
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

Return to “Footwear & Trekking Poles”