Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

What kind of mileage are you getting

Post by The_Eagle » Apr 23 2010 8:17 pm

No I don't mean getting to the trailhead,
but rather how many miles are you all typically getting out of a pair of Trail Shoes.

I have a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators that have been very kind to my feet this year, and fit like a glove, but the bottoms are starting to smooth out a bit after 300+ miles. Is this typical shoe wear that the rest of you have been seeing?
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: What kind of mileage are you getting

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 26 2010 9:08 am

Yeah, I am going to have to go somewhere where they sell Salomons and try some on. I have heard they run narrow. I need my shoes VERY narrow, though. Pencil feet...my pals when we were kids used to call me that...!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

writelots
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots » Apr 27 2010 9:06 am

I went through 3 pair of Merrell Chameleons pretty fast - one pair actually lost 3 lugs on it's first hike out. They fit so well, though - and I was told that the new style of lighter weight hikers all have a softer, more grippy rubber sole that wears out much faster than the old ones. Of course, they don't mention that they also build the uppers crappy...

I just got my first pair of Oboz - the Sidewinder "Multi-Sport", heavier than a trail runner, lighter than a low-top hiker. First trip was 31 miles through Grand Gulch sand, mud, water and dust. Loved 'em. Even good for the wide feet. Hope they last more than the 200 mi I was getting out of the comparably priced Merrells...
-----------------------------------
It troubles me that these days no matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up
- Lilly Tomlin

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Apr 27 2010 9:14 am

i know someone else who just got Oboz. made in USA!!
Oboz is short for "outdoors" and "Bozeman" (MT) where they are made. they look good to me at first glance. ;)
:D

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Jun 03 2010 7:02 pm

I thought I'd pass this on to all of you that are hard on your shoes or boots.

Back in January, I bought a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators at Cabelas for the same $79 you can get them for anywhere else. I also spent the extra $9.99 for an extended warranty, with the mission that I was going to wear them out. After 4-1/2 months and 450+ miles, the bottoms were getting smooth, the lack of cushion was beginning to hurt my feet, and there was a very slight separation of the rubber sole from the fabric side.

I called the Cabala's 800# and they emailed me a prepaid shipping label to send the shoes back with. In the meantime, I went back to Cabelas and bought myself the same shoes and another warranty.

I waited until I got my gift card back for the full price, plus tax before I posted this to make sure it was going to work.

So basically, if I keep this up, I'll get a new pair of shoes for $9.99 every 4-6 months!

Make sure to ask for the warranty information if they don't ask. The price of the warranty is based on the value of the shoes or boots you buy.

If you are hard on your shoes, boots, or scandals.... You can't beat it.
Attachments
P1070582.JPG
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 03 2010 7:57 pm

Cool!

I got that free coupon to be used on merrell.com ($110 freebie--nice!!) and ordered the Ventilators, socks and a pair of their footbeds. Got the socks today, still waiting on the rest of the order.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

LindaAnn
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by LindaAnn » Mar 14 2017 5:36 pm

Just the other day, Whitney & I were talking about the mileage we've been getting out of various hiking shoes.

I used to exclusively wear Merrell Siren, and the mileage gradually decreased from about 800-900 miles out of a pair of them down to around 600 miles for newer pairs. The last pair I bought felt horrible right out of the box, and had about 400 miles on them before I left them in the shoe graveyard at the back of my closet and switched to Salomon.

My first pair of Salomon GTX Ultra Mid have at least 1100 miles on them and they are still my daily hiking shoe. The tread is starting to get worn, but is still fine for most trails. I have a newer pair of Salomons (same style, different color) for steeper trails, and they have about 250 miles on them, but I will continue using the older pair until they fall apart. I think they'll last me at least 200-300 more miles, which makes me pretty happy with the switch to Salomons.

I've also had a couple of pairs of the La Sportiva Core High GTX, and while they are as comfortable as the Salomons, and cooler in the summer, they are more expensive and only seem to last around 500 miles.

That puts the La Sportivas around $0.30-0.35 per mile, and the Salomons around $0.10-0.15 per mile. The Merrells were $0.20-0.25 per mile for the last couple of pairs. So I'm definitely sticking with the Salomons.

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Mar 14 2017 5:53 pm

@lindaagm
1100 miles, guess I could stand to lose 40 pounds so there is less friction!

Very interesting on the cost per mile, never crossed my mind.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

LindaAnn

Post by LindaAnn » Mar 14 2017 6:42 pm

@joebartels I track which pair of shoes I wear on each hike on a spreadsheet at home, but a freeform shoe field on a triplog would be helpful! Which could be totaled on the personal stats.

Of course, I could list half a dozen additional fields that would be useful for personal tracking.

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Mar 15 2017 10:22 am

@joebartels
Funny, I usually feel pretty good getting 3-400 miles out of a pair of Keens. I must need to shave off some poundage too. Lately I haven't had much time for hiking unfortunately, so my boots are lasting longer... :doh:

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Mar 15 2017 10:52 am

lindaagm wrote:shoe field on a triplog would be helpful! Which could be totaled on the personal stats.
:lol:

:welcome:
You're obviously new here!

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Mar 15 2017 11:01 am

1100 miles? Holy mackerel! I'll get that out of the Vasque I use as my everyday shoes but those don't see anything rougher than pavement. I think I probably get between 400 and 500 miles out of my Merrells as long as the support doesn't completely collapse before the soles wear out (which may be about half the time).
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

imike
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Mar 15 2017 11:17 am

hmmm... pair usually last six weeks at most... why I buy cheapies. That is if I am hiking 4-5 days weekly. Avg Ten miles or less. 50 miles x 6= 300/400 miles. $25... That was at 190# with 40#+ pack... Now... 160#... guess I need to check it out. Cost per mile... interesting...
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

LindaAnn

Post by LindaAnn » Mar 15 2017 11:22 am

@Tough_Boots They've held up surprisingly well. I put about 100 miles on them in 2015, 700-800 miles on them last year, and over 300 on them so far this year. They're not great on anything super steep anymore, but most anything else is still fine in them. I did notice from the very start that I could feel the trail surface underfoot a little more than I would like, but some cheap insoles resolved that minor complaint.

BrunoP

Post by BrunoP » Mar 15 2017 11:29 am

I'm still using my first set. :DANCE:

Sometimes they get a little bit worn, but a day laying in dad's bed and maybe some swimming and it's all good again! :y:

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Mar 15 2017 11:48 am

My standard rule of thumb has held up pretty well over many years: 400 miles for EVA midsoles and 800 miles for PU midsoles. I can take them longer, but the cushioning is shot and the lugs are usually pretty worn down, too.

AndrewAZ

Post by AndrewAZ » Mar 19 2017 9:33 am

I went through 3 pairs of Inov8 Roclites (maybe 295s? I forget the exact model number) on the AZT. I thought they were decent lightweight trail runners, but they weren't tough enough for all the rocks. By the time each pair was approaching the end, it felt like I was walking in cardboard slippers. Physically, the soles were still intact (the uppers and sides less so), but all life had been stomped out of them and they provided no support whatsoever.

I switched to the Saucony Outlaw, and I got about 300 miles from that pair before it was shredded. Saucony discontinued those, so I switched to the Xodus. I've been getting about 300 miles from a pair.

I know I could get more miles if I switched to a boot of some kind, but my feet are much happier in trail runners.

Pivo
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by Pivo » Mar 20 2017 12:45 pm

My T-Hill shoes last 10- 12 weeks. I have migrated over to approach shoes for hiking, I will trade off the lower mileage for better traction. 300 miles or so.

LindaAnn

Post by LindaAnn » Aug 08 2019 9:40 am

I got a pair of Tevas less than 6 months ago (Terra 5 Fi Sport, or something like that), they have 266 miles on them, and the soles of both have already cracked. I really liked them, so it’s too bad they didn’t last longer. I’ll contact Teva to see if there’s anything they can do, or if they think 266 miles is an acceptable lifespan, but I’m hesitant to get another pair.

markthurman53
City, State: Tucson, Arizona

Post by markthurman53 » Aug 08 2019 12:18 pm

I get about 1000 to 1500 miles on my Scarpa Boots and am on my 3rd resole. I like the heavier boot for the support but they can be a bit warm. I'm cheap so at 250.00 for the original pair back in 2013 and 100.00 a resole, I'm a happy hiker.

no avatar
wildwesthikes

Post by wildwesthikes » Aug 08 2019 1:28 pm

I get about 450 miles out of Altra Lone Peak trail runners before they are toast - which I hear is normal. I am certain that the "real" hiking shoes I've owned - usually either Merrell Moab Vents or Oboz Sawtooths could have lasted at least double that if I had not thrown them off the mountain before they ever got that far... Remember to leave no trace (of blisters on your feet).
Last edited by wildwesthikes on Aug 08 2019 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Footwear & Trekking Poles”