Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

What kind of mileage are you getting

Post by The_Eagle » Apr 23 2010 8:17 pm

No I don't mean getting to the trailhead,
but rather how many miles are you all typically getting out of a pair of Trail Shoes.

I have a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators that have been very kind to my feet this year, and fit like a glove, but the bottoms are starting to smooth out a bit after 300+ miles. Is this typical shoe wear that the rest of you have been seeing?
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

LindaAnn
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Re: What kind of mileage are you getting

Post by LindaAnn » Aug 08 2019 1:34 pm

I’ve been primarily using Salomon X Ultra for a few years now. I can usually get 600-800 miles on rough terrain, then they get downgraded to easier hikes for another couple hundred miles or so, which usually means a good 800-1000 miles on a pair of them before they get retired. After that, I either toss them, or use them on the treadmill for a while.

I got the Tevas to try to even out some of the tan lines around my ankles, and ended up liking them a lot for shorter hikes, so I was really disappointed to get barely more than 250 miles.

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Aug 08 2019 2:36 pm

LindaAnn wrote:to even out some of the tan lines around my ankles
respectable but that would ruin my survival plan to flag down rescue planes with my feet
- joe

LindaAnn

Post by LindaAnn » Aug 08 2019 2:45 pm

@joebartels :lol: That is a good plan! But since I wear dresses and heels a lot of the time (when I’m not hiking), I prefer not looking like I’ve had a double foot transplant.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Aug 08 2019 2:58 pm

Looks like I'll be getting the more typical 500 outta the current pair. They probably wear out quicker in summer heat.

Love my Tevas, just don't trust them for hiking as in the past.
Attachments
gt-2019-08-08.png
- joe

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Aug 08 2019 3:42 pm

joebartels wrote:Love my Tevas, just don't trust them for hiking as in the past.
Same here... on the first part.
As for the second part... I've lost no trust, I just changed my hiking from ON-trail hikes to mostly OFF-trail.
So... when I got tired of spikes in the feet I switched to low-cut boots. And when they didn't provide enough protection from fox-tails and the like I now swap between mid and upper-ankle height boots.

Even when I DO plan to hike ON-trail I won't wear Teva's because it's inevitable (as Tracey well knows) all it takes is a shiny object (although not always shiny) and I'll stray off to check it out.
Now my Teva's are pretty much relegated to more mundane use, like chores in the yard or around the campsite when car-camping.
CannondaleKid

The_Eagle

Post by The_Eagle » Aug 08 2019 6:10 pm

LindaAnn wrote:But since I wear dresses and heels a lot of the time (when I’m not hiking),
That's what Joe programs in. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Dave Barry

LindaAnn

Post by LindaAnn » Aug 08 2019 6:22 pm

@The_Eagle Oh my :o Well, I guess I know who gets first dibs the next time I’m offloading some Calvin, Ralph, or Tommy from my closet.

LosDosSloFolks
City, State: Cave Creek, Arizona

Post by LosDosSloFolks » Aug 08 2019 8:17 pm

@LindaAnn @The_Eagle
This is still the website for Hike Arizona, right? :scared: Sometimes I end up on some weird, hidden, corner of YouTube and have no idea how I got there. I guess this is like that but without the pimple popping. :-)
"In beauty happily I walk, With beauty before me I walk, With beauty behind me I walk, With beauty all around me I walk"
Navajo Nightway Chant

LindaAnn

Post by LindaAnn » Aug 08 2019 8:34 pm

@LosDosSloFolks This is still HAZ, but we’re all weird here, and we’ve gotten off topic, because we have gnat sized attention spans. Someone with some level of maturity will steer this thread back in the correct direction. Or not.

LosDosSloFolks
City, State: Cave Creek, Arizona

Post by LosDosSloFolks » Aug 08 2019 8:59 pm

@LindaAnn
My post was tongue in cheek, but now I'm concerned over the realization that I know who Calvin, Ralph. and Tommy are. :o
"In beauty happily I walk, With beauty before me I walk, With beauty behind me I walk, With beauty all around me I walk"
Navajo Nightway Chant

The_Eagle

Post by The_Eagle » Aug 08 2019 10:57 pm

LosDosSloFolks wrote:I know who Calvin, Ralph. and Tommy are
I just wanna know what those 3 guys are doing in Linda's closet? But I digress.......
Dave Barry

Alston_Neal

Post by Alston_Neal » Aug 09 2019 6:15 am

I haven't been around much, but I'm happy to see the depth of socially binding conversation hasn't changed.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

LindaAnn

Post by LindaAnn » Aug 09 2019 6:47 am

@The_Eagle Oh, they’re just hanging around in there.

I’ve been in a Kors and Marc mood this summer, but I’ll cycle back around to the ol’ reliables. So many clothes and shoes, so little time...

There are 10 (20, individually) Salomons in the other closet, kind of crowded over there...

rcorfman

Post by rcorfman » Aug 09 2019 12:44 pm

LindaAnn wrote:
Aug 08 2019 8:34 pm
Someone with some level of maturity will steer this thread back in the correct direction. Or not.
I've been using Altra Lone Peaks for the past four years. I have to say that I'm not seeing the mileage with the 4.0s as I did with the 3.0s and 3.5s. My current pair has just over 400 miles and is shot. I didn't keep track of the mileage on my first pair of 4.0s but I was surprised at how soon they needed replacing. My last pair of 3.5s took me from Mt. Hood on the PCT to Canada (550+ miles) plus a couple hundred more back in AZ. I'll probably suffer through another 100 miles with the current pair before changing them out. I hope the next version is better.
Go find a LonelyCache

Return to “Footwear & Trekking Poles”