Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
JimmyLyding
Sasquatchopelli
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Going over to the Dark Side

Post by JimmyLyding » Jul 15 2010 1:05 am

Just acquired a pair of low tops. We'll see if they don't injure me on my Kachina Trail hike on Friday. I hold no one responsible other than myself, and I most assuredly don't want anyone taking credit for sending me in this dangerous direction! :roll:

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: Going over to the Dark Side

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 28 2010 4:05 am

On the Baldy backpack there was a gal who works at REI who told me to look at Lowas. I notice on the Summit Hut website there is one low-cut version for women called the Renegade II GTX which is advertised as coming in a narrow size, and also carries my hard-to-find half size, 10.5. I am going to check those out when I go to Tucson next week. There is also a Renegade boot that comes in a narrow.

The Merrells I got for free are pretty bad, possibly because I had to do so much to make them fit me. They don't rock, but they do roll...over to the outside.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

kevinweitzel75
Kokevinkopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Jul 28 2010 8:20 pm

I just bought a pair of low boys. Going to give them a try. I have always been a boot guy, but they sure are nice and light. Only cheapies for now, but have plenty of ventalation and are comfy. Haven't been able to hit the trails for most of the summer, but am planning on doing a monsoon hike ASAP. Maybe up Payson way. I will give them a try then. I just don't feel too comfortable doing any sort of bushwacking in them. We will have to see.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

JimmyLyding
Sasquatchopelli
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Jul 28 2010 8:30 pm

I'm hiking in the Pinals on Friday. Probably up Six Shooter and down Icehouse. I have to decide between the big boys or the new low tops.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 29 2010 4:02 am

One thing is that if the problem is more getting crap in your socks, rather than worries about ankle-twisting, you can still wear gaiters with low tops!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

kevinweitzel75
Kokevinkopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Jul 29 2010 6:08 pm

azbackpackr wrote:One thing is that if the problem is more getting crap in your socks, rather than worries about ankle-twisting, you can still wear gaiters with low tops!
Thats true. My ankles are in pretty good shape, it's just the left knee I worry about sometimes. The crap in the socks drive me batty! Might have to look into some gaiters.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 29 2010 6:43 pm

REI has low-cut ones for around $25 or so.

Return to “Footwear & Trekking Poles”