Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jenna Palomino
City, State: Chandler, Arizona

Hiking Boots

Post by Jenna Palomino » Mar 09 2011 9:24 pm

:wrt:
hmm...
I need suggestions on good Hiking boots that will last me awhile, yet are comfortable and light weight. ???????? :scared:

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Re: Hiking Boots

Post by PaleoRob » Mar 09 2011 9:39 pm

I just picked up a new pair of Chaco sandals - though they are not boots and not for everyone.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 09 2011 9:41 pm

I like my Lowa Renegades. All leather but light weight. Most people on here no longer wear boots though. They are all wearing various kinds of trail shoes, sandals, etc. You should read the other threads about footwear.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Mar 10 2011 11:46 am

Brands and models aren't very important compared to how well they fit. (Glass slippers are inadvisable, though).

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Mar 10 2011 12:00 pm

The garage sale at the Tempe REI starts tomorrow. Go get a couple pairs and see what works. You can usually get $150 boots for $25.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Mar 10 2011 7:00 pm

big_load wrote:Brands and models aren't very important compared to how well they fit. (Glass slippers are inadvisable, though).
Agree! It's all about fit, whether you get them at Payless or Summit Hut. I'd be a bit leery of Payless because of durability but the point remains--whatever fits. So you have to do the research, go try on a few. Socks are important too, some people wear liners with thick socks over them. I did this for years but lately just wear the thick socks.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Mar 10 2011 7:38 pm

@Jenna Palomino
You might want to check out a few other threads on HAZ about footwear:
Foot gear survey, what are your favorites? = http://www.hikearizona.com/dex2/viewtop ... f=3&t=5874
Foot ware in the canyon = viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5781
CannondaleKid

kevinweitzel75
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Mar 10 2011 10:15 pm

Just bought a pair of Merona's at Target on sale for $20. Awsome boots. Took them to Angel Basin, and for the first time my feet felt great. Waterproof, to a point, and my feet didn't hurt the slightest. We'll see how long they last.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

Jenna Palomino
City, State: Chandler, Arizona

Post by Jenna Palomino » Mar 11 2011 10:04 am

i'm new here :scared: and wasn't sure how to navigate this forum at first! I wear some Target Tennis and they are very comfortable, snug and grip pretty well but I'm going to venture out some Stores for some good snug boots.. Don't want my tennis any longer. Thank you all for the suggestions & the links to the Pages. :y:

kevinweitzel75

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Apr 18 2011 6:33 pm

kevinweitzel75 wrote:Just bought a pair of Merona's at Target on sale for $20. Awsome boots. Took them to Angel Basin, and for the first time my feet felt great. Waterproof, to a point, and my feet didn't hurt the slightest. We'll see how long they last.
I take back my last statement. BIG OL PIECES OF CRAP!!!!!!!! Have no idea what happened at Angel Basin, but took them to Reavis Falls this past weedend. Almost walked the last 2 miles with just my socks on. The balls of my feet hurt so friggin bad. I think it was the down hill. Now it's time to save some money and hit up REI and get some good stuff. Been looking at the Merrills, but will go there and try different ones on first. If my feet didn't hurt so bad, I won't have had a single complaint coming up out of there. Acually, it wasn't too bad. Dam them cheap boots! Leason learned.
Robert Frost

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Apr 18 2011 7:57 pm

I was reading customer reviews on cheap shoes and boots last Friday. Countless mentioned...
- great fit, love 'em
- then they broke down under a month

From what I gathered by the few that tore 'em apart was that they use an egg shell or honeycomb style that gives way quickly. Apparently not a soft breakdown either cause pain was mentioned many times over. For the once a year camper they probably work fine.

On the shoe subject...
There was a ton of people out on Squaw after Christmas in their Five Fingers. Now only one or two if any when I'm out. Rarely the same people. Aside from three that I've noted I've timed their laps at well over two hours. Most people that never hike are faster than two hours. One guy took 'em off at the peak a week or two ago and really bare footed it down. I still want to try them someday but my observations are they don't work for the masses... at least on that terrain :o
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 18 2011 8:05 pm

Keep track of this Joe, so that in a couple of years we can reminisce: "Remember those 5-toe shoe things that were all the rage, back in, when was it? 2010, 2011?"

Put them in the same closet with the chia pet and the lava lamp?
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Apr 18 2011 8:23 pm

At this point I think they will have more of a following like Tevas or slightly more. Just don't think they'll replace the shoe as we know it. I've seen Joel and few others put 'em to good use. I've just seen far more suffer and never see 'em again it seems.

Of course after I make my assumptions Haley posts a triplog to 5,057 :lol:
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

MtnBart01
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Apr 18 2011 9:31 pm

I tend to agree with Joe although they are making REI more money than any other product and now NB, Merrell, and numerous other shoe companies are either offering minimalist shoes with vibram soles or have their own spin on the product. Maybe these will appeal to some. I think the minimalist movement is going to stay around. I myself have a pair of the new leather merrell minimalist shoe for work. They fit our dress code and I don't ever have to wear real shoes now. :y: I never thought VFF's would catch on to the masses. I'm sure lots of people got them for Christmas and didn't work into wearing them creating problems and then give up on them like resolutions and work out equipment, but I definitely think there will be a market for them for the well into the future. You may see an eventual increase in VFF's as people transition from the new minimalist shoes which definitely have more padding. Either way Vibram is setting themselves up selling soles to the other companies. I found after taking skin off my toes for the first time on the Salt Canyon trip that they are far more effective with socks. I have been wearing socks in them ever since that trip and have not had a single problem with blisters. I think I've put them through about every condition imaginable in the last year and I still have found them the most comfortable option for me, but I agree with Joe. I guess my final test will be to go to Squaw and see if I can do a lap in under 2 hours. :sl:
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Apr 18 2011 9:44 pm

what the pumpkin are the planets aligned, nobody agrees with me twice in a lifetime yet alone one post

Ladies and gentlemen without further ado, bart01 HAZ member of the month April 2011 :worthy:
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Apr 18 2011 10:30 pm

Joel's 5-finger shoes are one of my favorite things about hiking with him! He screams like a girl every time he kicks a rock or gets a cactus spine between his toes! :sl:
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

kevinweitzel75

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Apr 19 2011 7:43 pm

I see more people walking around town with those toe shoes on. Have yet to see someone on the trail. And I do see them on Craigs List for sale. "Worn only once ." I don't think that I could ever get used to something b/w my toes. :o
Robert Frost

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Apr 19 2011 8:52 pm

cavemen said the same thing about underwear
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 19 2011 9:15 pm

joe bartels wrote:cavemen said the same thing about underwear
:sl:

Cultjam

Post by Cultjam » Apr 19 2011 9:46 pm

I researched this site and others last fall and opted to get the Keen Targhee II for winter hikes. Keem had a lot of positive reviews. Only got a couple hikes in but I'm very rough on everything and the shoes were tested. Very comfortable, no blisters.

I'm reckless in summer, might be better off in bare feet. Hot feet = :yuck:

Return to “Footwear & Trekking Poles”