Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jenna Palomino
City, State: Chandler, Arizona

Hiking Boots

Post by Jenna Palomino » Mar 09 2011 9:24 pm

:wrt:
hmm...
I need suggestions on good Hiking boots that will last me awhile, yet are comfortable and light weight. ???????? :scared:

gringoantonio
City, State: Boise, ID

Re: Hiking Boots

Post by gringoantonio » Apr 20 2011 12:11 pm

The best place for boot + fitting advice is AZ Hiking Shack

kevinweitzel75
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Apr 20 2011 12:12 pm

@joe bartels
:sl: And that is why I wear boxers.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 20 2011 1:10 pm

gringoantonio wrote:The best place for boot + fitting advice is AZ Hiking Shack
Haven't been there, but Summit Hut in Tucson does a good job, also.

Incidentally, long-time Arizona hikers will be interested to know that Dave Baker has sold Summit Hut and retired. I am hoping for the same good service in the shoe/boot dept. next time I go there because that's the only place I have ever been in AZ that carries narrow-specific boots. (AZ hiking shack might, too, but then I would have to suffer in Phoenix. Ugh.)
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Apr 20 2011 2:24 pm

azbackpackr wrote:ncidentally, long-time Arizona hikers will be interested to know that Dave Baker has sold Summit Hut and retired.
I didn't know that. How recently? Now that I finally understand my feet, I don't trust anyone (except maybe my podiatrist) to help me. For example, I never once has a fitter recommended me the correct size as indicated by a Brannock device. (Here's a hint: that arch length measurement scale with the triangular slider is on there for a reason).

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Feb 24 2014 6:44 pm

Broke in another pair of Dunham Clound hiking boots out of First Water this past weekend. I replaced as I usually do with all of my foot wear the stock insoles with Spenco Crosstraining insoles and I wear Wigwam Trail Mix Fusion socks. No grief at all, happy feet.
jk

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 24 2014 7:08 pm

Sigh, all the happy hikers' happy feet. My feet do not like any of the shoes I put on them. I bought Sof-Sole Airr orthotic insoles, didn't make a bit of difference in the latest shoe I have--I couldn't tell the difference, since the insoles were apparently not the problem. Can't find shoes to fit, etc. etc.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Feb 24 2014 7:57 pm

The best insoles that I found are Redhead about $17.00 at Bass Pro Shop. I have a pair in everyone of shoes and boots, for me there great.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 24 2014 8:13 pm

Good to know, but it turned out that insoles were not the problem. I am next going to try regular running shoes, since I can find them in my size.

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Feb 24 2014 8:21 pm

@azbackpackr
Well I had a pair of Merrills boots after 15 miles I knew they weren't for me. Now I have a pair of Vasques boots in a wide I got about 40 miles on them and love them.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 25 2014 4:29 am

Widowmaker wrote:@azbackpackr
Well I had a pair of Merrills boots after 15 miles I knew they weren't for me. Now I have a pair of Vasques boots in a wide I got about 40 miles on them and love them.
They don't make ANY hiking shoes in my size. None. Zero. Zilch. They do not exist. Women's 11.5 ultra narrow. Lowa makes an 11 Narrow boot that fits like a 10, lost all my toenails with that pair, plus they were not really very narrow. (Vasque boots used to be SO narrow, they used to be great. Even the medium widths were very narrow. But no longer made that way, alas.) So, I bought a pair of men's shoes that run very narrow. La Sportiva Boulder X Euro size 43. They fit my feet, but the lacing system cuts off my circulation, so I end up hiking with them almost unlaced, my feet aching all over. So, I bring Tevas with me. That is why I may have to switch to regular running shoes, because you can get one or two models of Asics and Brooks in my size. New Balance says they make my size, but their "narrow" shoes are very wide, and they are cheaply made.

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Apr 24 2015 4:27 pm

joe bartels wrote:On the shoe subject...
There was a ton of people out on Squaw after Christmas in their Five Fingers. Now only one or two if any when I'm out. Rarely the same people. Aside from three that I've noted I've timed their laps at well over two hours. Most people that never hike are faster than two hours. One guy took 'em off at the peak a week or two ago and really bare footed it down. I still want to try them someday but my observations are they don't work for the masses... at least on that terrain
azbackpackr wrote:Keep track of this Joe, so that in a couple of years we can reminisce: "Remember those 5-toe shoe things that were all the rage, back in, when was it? 2010, 2011?"
Rarely see these anymore. One couple that frequents Squaw still wears some version. They hike up and the guy generally runs down so he must have feet of steel.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Apr 24 2015 4:30 pm

Arc’teryx has a new revenue angle separating the liner.
http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/can ... 1699822755
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Apr 24 2015 6:49 pm

Wanting something a little lighter than my Danner's, I've tried a few different Red Head boots from Bass Pro Shop. Last year my first pair were Trekker II's, which worked out quite well... definitely lighter with slightly faster wear on the soles than the heavier Danner's, but still quite acceptable. Enough so I bought a second pair.

Then in preparation for my trip to Tanzania along with a week of hiking in South Africa afterward, I ordered a pair of Trekker III's online. They feel a little tight at the bottom of the laces for the first couple minutes but I never notice it during a hike and my feet feel fine after.

Then, the last time I was at Bass Pro I tried on a pair of Red Head Trail Blazer's, which are a touch heavier than the Trekker's but more support in the sole, which I could use on the rock-hopping hikes. And they worked out great! (So I bought another pair to save for when all the others wear out)

So now I'm rotating between two pair of Red Head Trekker II's, a pair of Trekker III's and a pari of Trail Blazer's. (I still wear the Danner's every once in a while)

FYI, the Trekkers go for $89.99 and the Trail Blazers for $99, which I feel is a good buy for the miles I've gotten and continue to get out of them. (I'm tracking the miles for each pair)
CannondaleKid

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Apr 25 2015 6:44 am

I recently purchased two new pairs of hiking boots, Danner Quarry and Wellco Jungle boot, no grief and the feet are still happy.
jk

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 25 2015 7:20 am

I sent that old pair of leather Raichles I had found (they are about 20 years old) that actually fit me, to a top-notch re-soling outfit in Seattle, Dave Page Cobbler. They came back wonderfully re-soled. I'm moving back to Williams in a few days and will switch from mostly kayaking to mostly hiking and biking. Stay tuned. (I'm behind on posting triplogs by quite a few trips.) I have an invitation to a very moderate 6-day Sierras trip in early August, so I have something to train for, to look forward to. Hope these boots will work for my feet. Will also use my trail runners--found a pair of men's Salomons that fit pretty well.

Someone has recently suggested to me that I may be suffering from neuropathy. The burning and hot pain are in front footpads, toes. Sometimes only one foot. Ibuprofen helps a bit. NOT in the arches.

autumnstars
City, State: Las Vegas, NV

Post by autumnstars » May 01 2015 7:59 am

CannondaleKid wrote:I'm tracking the miles for each pair
Now, that is a very good idea and something I wish I had done over the years.
"Let it ride / Let it roll / Let it go"

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » May 01 2015 9:15 am

autumnstars wrote:
CannondaleKid wrote:I'm tracking the miles for each pair
Now, that is a very good idea and something I wish I had done over the years.
I once suggested to HikeBot possibly incorporating that feature here on HAZ. I had no idea a robot could say some of the words I heard. :sk: Who programmed that thing!? [-X
Highway to hell

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » May 01 2015 9:24 am

Nighthiker wrote:Danner Quarry... no grief and the feet are still happy.
My feet absolutely loved the Danner Quarry, but the Vibram soles wore out WAY too soon, with holes appearing in the sole. (voids during in the molding process?)

I had them re-soled but within a half-dozen hikes the soles where almost as worn and were separating from the boot. I brought them back to A to Z Shoes (who re-soled them) and they re-glued them but two hikes and they were coming off again.

Next I tried Gorilla glue but since it expands so much (needlessly, in my opinion) it actually pushed other parts of the sole loose. :o
Now they sit in the closet looking forlorn... waiting for a real nasty terrain hike when I just might wear them to get the last of the life out of them.

So... having tried both ends of the spectrum (cheap to high-$) I went in between with the Red Head Trekkers & Trail Blazers. I'm just passing the 150-mile mark on a pair of each and so far the soles are 1/3 to 1/2 worn, the uppers are going strong and best of all, my feet are happy during and after the hikes.
FYI: I wear two pairs of socks, one very thin and the other quite thick and have no issues with blisters or soggy feet, even in higher temps.
CannondaleKid

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » May 01 2015 9:50 am

@CannondaleKid
Next I tried Gorilla glue but since it expands so much
I am sure you have ran across the product in your years of outdoor gear repair, but I use aqua seal on nearly all shoe and gear repairs...two thumbs up

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » May 01 2015 10:19 am

@friendofThundergod Is it available locally or just online?
CannondaleKid

Return to “Footwear & Trekking Poles”