Boot Repair

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Boot Repair

Post by outdoor_lover » Jan 20 2012 3:23 pm

I have a pair of Merrell Gortex Boots with a Vibram Sole. They were practically brand new last fall when I started using them in earnest. I've done about 20 hikes with them and a couple of hikes ago I noticed that the sole is completely separating from the boot itself, on both boots. The sole is in good shape and the boot itself is in good shape.

Would anyone know who might be able to reattach them and have it hold? I love these boots, they are extremely comfortable and grip really well and they are still in really good shape. I would really like to get them repaired if possible. I have another pair of Merrills but they don't fit as well and the tread pattern is not nearly as good on loose scree and for gripping on rocks. :(

Anyone out there than can make a good recommendation?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Al_HikesAZ

Re: Boot Repair

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jan 20 2012 3:33 pm

That happens with our heat. Don't leave boots in the trunk or heat. Did you get them at REI?

To answer your question. What I did was shoe goo http://www.rei.com/search?search=sof+sole+shoe+goo and some C-Clamps and I got some more miles out a pair of boots. And carry some Gorilla tape with you on the trail in case they come apart. Speaking from experience.

If you can get 800 to 1,000 miles out of a pair of boots in Arizona, consider yourself lucky.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

Sun_Ray

Post by Sun_Ray » Jan 20 2012 3:37 pm

Have used shoe goo for repairs on shoes since my running days in the 70's. Give it a try. Have you tried talking about this failure at the place of purchase?
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!

kevinweitzel75
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Jan 20 2012 3:48 pm

Have to agree. Shoe goo is the shit. Have used it for years.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Jan 20 2012 3:56 pm

@Al_HikesAZ
@Sun Ray
Actually the point of purchase is the hard part. I bought these boots on Sale, (buy one pair, get one pair 50% off) about 8 years ago when I was using them for utility locating. I just never got around to using the second pair more than once or twice until this last fall because I changed jobs before the first pair wore out. I don't even remember where I got them, but I doubt it was REI. May try the shoe goo thing though. Do you think if I took them to a cobbler that maybe they could do something that might guarantee to hold? I mean if they can resole boots, you would think that they could reattach them and have them work like new.....?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jan 20 2012 4:33 pm

Outdoor Lover wrote:Do you think if I took them to a cobbler that maybe they could do something that might guarantee to hold? I mean if they can resole boots, you would think that they could reattach them and have them work like new.....?
Go ahead and try, but don't get your hopes up. I took a pair once to a shoe/luggage repair place we use. He looked at them handed them back to me and said "shoe goo". Some of the more expensive boots that have soles that are sewn on can be re-soled, but most modern boots that just have glued-on soles can't be.

Some people have told me that Teva Sandals can be really comfortable.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Jan 20 2012 6:36 pm

There's a shoe guy on Warner Road, one light west of the I-10, north side of street, by an auto repair shop. He's done good work for me on a similar problem.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 20 2012 6:48 pm

Al_HikesAZ wrote:Some people have told me that Teva Sandals can be really comfortable.
Viva la Teva!! :y: :D

My Teva'd foot, in my Costa Rica bedroom:
Attachments
Puntarenas bedroom 004.JPG
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Canyonram
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Canyonram » Jan 21 2012 12:51 pm

Buy a tube of McNett Freesole Boot Repair---urethane formula that will reattach the sole. I also use it to make a toe cap and limit damage.

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Jan 23 2012 2:44 pm

I have successfully used Barge cement http://www.quabaug.com/barge (which we use to repair rubber rafts, but is used in shoe manufacturing & repair, too) on my shoes with great results. (small tubes are available at Ace Hdw. etc.). MEK will help as a thinner/ bonding agent if necessary > http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... 1023806208
kurt

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Jan 30 2012 8:28 pm

Well, the "surgery" is done and the boots are in the "recovery" room... :sweat: Working with "Goo" is really not my Forte. I think I really needed an extra pair of hands to do this. It would have almost been easier to rip the whole sole off and then do it, but I was afraid I'd damage the sole trying to get it off. Didn't have any "C" clamps so I used the next best thing. Duct Tape!!! :y: Knowing my skill at things like this, the only thing that will stayed glued is the Duct Tape. :sl: That was a messy job.

I really hope it works, I miss those boots. My blisters from my other pair may not be entirely healed up before Marsh Valley on Friday....

PrestonSands
City, State: Oro Valley, AZ

Post by PrestonSands » Jan 31 2012 12:14 am

I use "E-6000" cement when I need to make small repairs on my boots. It has a finer application tip and is not quite as thick as Shoe-Goo. Walmart sells it in their craft department.
"I'm going for a coffee, but you never know when a hike might break out." -Jim Gaffigan

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 31 2012 6:14 am

Since I lived far from a cobbler when in Eagar, a couple of times I sent my Vasque Sundowner boots to Dave Page Cobbler in Seattle. He resoles all sorts of athletic shoes and hiking boots. It cost half what I had paid for the boots, though, to have them resoled, the leather refurbished, new insoles, new laces. About $90 as I recall, several years ago. However, I am very hard to fit, and I knew those boots fit me, so it worked for me.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Jan 31 2012 12:41 pm

I've used goo quite a few times and it always seems like just a temporary fix. I've used it for around the outside where the nubuck tends to start coming off of the soles. I'm not sure whether goo is just not good for this or maybe the dry climate just renders it useless after a handful of hikes. I tend to believe that no one really makes footwear that handles the desert well and have kind of learned to accept these things. I hate going through boots as quickly as I do and getting them resoled for $70 or $80 does not seem worth it.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 31 2012 2:18 pm

Tough_Boots wrote:I've used goo quite a few times and it always seems like just a temporary fix. I've used it for around the outside where the nubuck tends to start coming off of the soles.
One of the main causes of separation is that the midsole has deformed. Once that has happened, the resulting modified distribution of stress pretty much dooms regluing to a brief lifespan.

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jan 31 2012 3:27 pm

@big_load I'd never thought of that, great point!

I had trouble getting the bond to last until I started cleaning the surfaces with a tiny brush and rubbing alcohol, though I've never used it on leather. Got over 600 miles on my last xt-wing salomons. Although they looked together they were hurting my feet pretty bad so I finally tossed 'em.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Jan 31 2012 3:52 pm

Well I should have a prognosis tomorrow when I take the duct tape off. I sure hope I don't have to get boots right now, my other ones just aren't cutting it. Cramped in the front and blisters in the back, no matter the sock combo, just is not going to work....If I have to get boots, my first backpack trip in April probably won't happen.... :(

Return to “Footwear & Trekking Poles”