Recommend Treadmill Shoes?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
SgtLumpy
City, State: N Phoenix, AZ

Recommend Treadmill Shoes?

Post by SgtLumpy » Apr 09 2013 5:40 pm

I hope this is on topic enough for a hiking forum.

I like to get on the treadmill in our front room or in the gym even during hiking season, but especially during off season. Something about the repeated mantra effect.

In any case, has anyone found any particular type of shoe to be better suited to foot to treadmill stresses that might be different than foot to asphalt or foot to trail? I seem to get sore arches sometimes on the TMill because it seems I use the later sides of my feet (opposite the arches) to cushion the foot strike. I'm a heavy and old guy, I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. Anything approaching barefoot would be a horrible choice for me. Big, well padded things seem like they would be the appropriate kind of choice for my situation.

Anyone found a magic bullet?

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Last edited by SgtLumpy on Apr 10 2013 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

TattooedNomad
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Recommend Treadmill Shoes?

Post by TattooedNomad » Apr 10 2013 8:20 am

It really depends on what fits your foot best. I swear by asics for all running (trail, treadmill, street), but I have a friend who swears by Mizuno and another who wouldn't leave her nikes if you paid her. Then there's my barefoot running friends.

The only thing I've found that I dislike, is when I wore my trail runners on the treadmill. It gave a "sticky" feeling that wasn't entirely comfortable.

Check out Sole Sports if you haven't already. Super nice folks that are patient as all getup (I must have tried on 15 pairs of shoes before I settled on one...such a girl, I am). They'll be able to help you find the right pair for you :)
"My you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift

SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Apr 10 2013 8:47 am

Check out Amazon for deals on shoes as well. Personally I am partial to Asics and Adidas shoes and will second the part about using trail running shoes on a treadmill. They are too sticky on a treadmill.

I have gone barefoot on a treadmill for 5 minutes or so as part of my warm up. Helps to strengthen your feet and walking barefoot won't get you injured. After 5 minutes hop off the treadmill, throw on your shoes and start running.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Apr 10 2013 9:00 am

TattooedNomad wrote:It really depends on what fits your foot best.
Ding...ding...ding...we have a winner. There are lots of threads on hiking shoes and trail runners. People have differing opinions on the manufacturers. Keens are great..no there not...are too...Salomons are awesome....mine only lasted one hike.. too tight....are not. I only wear 5 fingers...only losers wear those...you'll break your toe...will not.

Personally, I feel if it doesn't feel good right out of the box it probably never will. I usually use sierratradingpost and buy a few at a time. Brooks have been this years shoes...Salomons for a few years...and a few off names I can't remember.

These are touted as well-padded per google not sure the brand
96587d25d3c28e6cf58e01019669ad3d.jpg
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

SgtLumpy

Post by SgtLumpy » Apr 10 2013 11:13 am

SpiderLegs wrote:
...I have gone barefoot on a treadmill for 5 minutes or so as part of my warm up. Helps to strengthen your feet and walking barefoot won't get you injured. After 5 minutes hop off the treadmill, throw on your shoes and start running.
I think I might just investigate that. Thanks Spider. I'm sidelined now with this darned sore/sprained arch, due to that treadmill in my normal running shoe, NewBalance MR940's. They're big, padded, motion control shoes which seems to be what I want for my 230 lb frame gracefully gliding (ok ruthlessly pounding) across asphalt. Maybe I need something more flexible, or totally flexible (barefoot) for the treadmill.

It sucks being sidelined, BTW, during the time of year when you're most motivated AND when the comfortable hiking weather season is near it's end. I've gone from "watching for rattle snakes" to "alternate hot/cold soaks and more and more ibuprophen". Sheesh! I swear I was in shape when I was younger. I can't remember it, but I must have been... :?

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq

SpiderLegs

Post by SpiderLegs » Apr 10 2013 11:58 am

The game changer for my working out and keeping injuries at bay was to incorporate joint mobility work and rolling my muscles with various devices. Google "Maxwell's Daily Dozen", pretty good introduction to mobility work. For rolling out my muscles I use a foam roller, pvc pipe to the really tight areas and a lacrosse ball for my feet or for spot rolling a particularly tight area.

Used to eat ibuprofen like candy until I made some changes to diet and supplements. Cut back on sugar and flour and started taking lots of fish oil, turmeric and ginger which are all natural anti-inflammatories.

Had plantar fasciitis a few summers ago, worst summer of my adult life. Could not wear sandals or even walk around barefoot. Kept a frozen water bottle close by all the time to help kill the pain. Know what it feels like to be sidelined by your feet during prime outdoor weather.

TattooedNomad

Post by TattooedNomad » Apr 11 2013 7:36 pm

BobP wrote:These are touted as well-padded per google not sure the brand
96587d25d3c28e6cf58e01019669ad3d.jpg
Those are DC's...and I can attest that they are VERY well padded shoes, however they are generally clunky. IMO, way too clunky for hiking/walking/running. A lot of my skateboarding friends wear them.
"My you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift

cactuscat
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Apr 11 2013 10:10 pm

@TattooedNomad
Agreed ... I wear some DC's to work sometimes, but they are definitely not running shoes.
Oh, and I am definitely not a runner ... but my New Balance Minimus 1010's kinda make me want to give it a try.
Where is the "dislike" button?

no avatar
----

Post by ---- » Apr 11 2013 10:27 pm

SpiderLegs wrote:Had plantar fasciitis a few summers ago
I believe that's what I've had for a little bit now. Hiking Mazatzal Peak really upset it, so I've changed my routine the past few days to keep moving but no pressure on my left foot, seems to be working. Planning on some strenuous hiking stuff tomorrow and the next day, not expecting serious problems, but man I hate foot injuries!

SgtLumpy

Post by SgtLumpy » Apr 12 2013 5:44 am

Devils Mountain wrote:
... man I hate foot injuries!

I hate foot injuries and my fear of snakes. Both have me sidelined right now. I just read that 7 people have been bit by rattlers in the past 7 days in PHX. And I've come really close to at least two. And that's only the bites that got reported to poison control. It's not the fear of death or anything, it's the damn cost. $25k per dose of antivenom and it typically takes 10 doses. So I'll be in the gym for a while till the weather changes.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq

SpiderLegs

Post by SpiderLegs » Apr 12 2013 6:48 am

SgtLumpy wrote:
Devils Mountain wrote:
... man I hate foot injuries!

I hate foot injuries and my fear of snakes. Both have me sidelined right now. I just read that 7 people have been bit by rattlers in the past 7 days in PHX. And I've come really close to at least two. And that's only the bites that got reported to poison control. It's not the fear of death or anything, it's the damn cost. $25k per dose of antivenom and it typically takes 10 doses. So I'll be in the gym for a while till the weather changes.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Read this on another forum, don't think you fit the demographic profile for a snake bite victim. Usually it's guys under the age of 30 and shockingly there is usually alcohol involved. But I feel the same way about snakes that you do. So for now try to stay on well used trails plus cutting back on the scrambling and bushwacking.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Apr 12 2013 9:03 am

SpiderLegs wrote:don't think you fit the demographic profile for a snake bite victim.
Obviously there's a risk with any activity, but if you look at this site alone, and the mileage accumulated in snake territory during snake season by dozens of very active, regular hikers (10s, if not 100s of thousands of miles :o ), none to my knowledge has ever been bitten. And look in the database of photos ... there are over 500 photos taken of rattlesnakes (not to mention the countless sightings that are not photographed!) -- just by HAZ users!

It's not that snakes aren't encountered--clearly they are! But while anything can happen, and respect and caution should be paid at all times, I personally think that you should not let the possible presence of snakes interfere with your plans.

It's possible there is a higher possibility of mechanical failure on a treadmill?... :-k
:M2C:
Profound observer

BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Apr 12 2013 9:53 am

I got struck at last year for the first time ever.... Luckily it missed... If I recall the only bite I can recall was to Berk's dog :cry:
Last edited by BobP on Apr 12 2013 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

SgtLumpy

Post by SgtLumpy » Apr 12 2013 11:07 am

You're all correct, of course, about the snake thing. I'm not in the demos, I pay attention very well, and Chum you're right. My foot's hurt right now due to the treadmill, not due to a snake. That's all reassuring, of course. Still the prospect of that half million dollar hospital bill just makes me go JEEZ LOUISE! My horses have even come very close, within striking distance, and nearly stepped on one rattler. They've never been bit. I had a dog years ago that got bit in Texas. Her German Shepherd sized head swelled up to about volleyball size. Bit on the face, she was probably trying to protect me.

I suppose if I was a bowler, I could get bowler's elbow and end up with a huge hospital bill from that too.

Funny the things we fear. I guess I don't have heptaphobia but hospiphobia... :scared:

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq

Dave1

Post by Dave1 » Apr 12 2013 11:09 am

chumley wrote:It's possible there is a higher possibility of mechanical failure on a treadmill?... :-k
Remember a few years back Mike Tyson's young daughter died on treadmill here in Phoenix.

beterarcher
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by beterarcher » Apr 12 2013 11:58 am

My cousin got hit by a Western Diamondback two years ago. Yes, under 30 and alcohol was involved. The dumb :pk: actually picked it up!
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain

cactuscat
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Apr 12 2013 10:56 pm

The stats for typical snakebite victims - 18 to 35 year old males - are exactly the same as for people most likely to die in the canyon by falling off the rim ... coincidence? I think not.
Where is the "dislike" button?

no avatar
----

Post by ---- » Apr 12 2013 11:29 pm

As I was opinionating to Van while hiking today, I think you're more likely to be in an accident on the highway than getting bit by a rattlesnake. We saw a rattlesnake today, on the trail, no problem, we avoided. Yes, it's a risk, but no more than any other risks in life. If you don't want any risk in life, stay inside.

SgtLumpy

Post by SgtLumpy » Apr 13 2013 8:41 am

Devils Mountain wrote:
... If you don't want any risk in life, stay inside.

Again, that's very helpful. I'm not sure what the conflict is here, DM.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq

Return to “Footwear & Trekking Poles”