Boots for hot weather hikes

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Thoreau
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Boots for hot weather hikes

Post by Thoreau » Aug 14 2015 12:30 pm

Did some quick digging and didn't find anything (nothing recent anyway) on the subject, so I pose this question to the more-informed-than-I masses...

What has proven a good option for footwear for hiking in hot weather? I'm mainly talking trails like Squaw Peak and Camelback (although probably some Flatiron mixed in there too.)

I hiked Camelback on the 4th of July in my Salomon boots, and while they do have some GoreTex for breathability, they're basically full height ovens in that kind of heat. They also weigh a ton so that wasn't really desirable either. I love them for backpacking and non-triple-digit temps, but something's gotta change now that I've become determined to hike through the summers here in Phoenix.

I've had Merrel Moab Ventilators in the past and that's the direction I'm leaning again unless something better has come along that doesn't go too crazy overboard on the cost factor. They weren't the most durable footwear I've ever had, but they did get abused pretty heavily on Squaw Peak and even pressed into service for backpacking, so I wasn't too upset on their longevity.

All I know for sure is that I do NOT want to tackle Camelback again mid-summer in those Salomon's as the heat inside was, for the first time ever for me, VERY noticeable and uncomfortable. Breathability is my #1 goal now. (Not to the point of sandals though, lol.)

SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Re: Boots for hot weather hikes

Post by SpiderLegs » Aug 14 2015 12:42 pm

The Salomon XT3 trail running shoe seems to work for me. Do the majority of my hiking with them or other trail running shoes. The Moab Ventilators were okay for me, but I now prefer a good trail running shoe. Last time I hiked with Joe I believe he told me that he was on his 30th or so pair of XT3's. They are a little pricey, so I just keep an eye out on the various shoe outlet sites to see if they come up at all.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Aug 14 2015 12:44 pm

I'm pretty much stuck on Ventilators for all purposes-- dayhikes to four day backpacks. I'm happy with them. They're comfortable and they tend to last me at least 400 miles. You don't need the ankle support if you build up that muscle set. It seems like most hikers are abandoning the boot in most scenarios and going for trailrunners. If most my mileage was Piestewa and Camelback, I wouldn't even consider anything other than trailrunners.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Aug 14 2015 12:52 pm

I agree with Tough_Boots. The ventilators are a #1 seller for a reason.

Solomon boots are great for backpacking. I prefer them not for ankle support, but for the much firmer footbed that helps my feet endure many miles carrying extra weight -- especially on the downhills.

For "training hikes" like desert mountains around the valley, I prefer as little weight as possible. I don't need the support and the build can be lightweight and flexible since the hikes are relatively short distance. Get something with a solid sole to endure miles on our sharp desert terrain. If you like hiking in the rain, the vibram soles on the ventilators also provide excellent gription that some trail runners lack.
Profound observer

mdfabbrini
City, State: Mount Shasta, CA

Post by mdfabbrini » Aug 14 2015 1:37 pm

I bought a pair of Keen Voyageur Mid Boots and I'm pretty happy with them. They seem to vent well, and I like the wide toe box.
et deinceps per nebula

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Aug 14 2015 4:18 pm

Keen's are super comfortable but I wish the soles lasted.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

AZLumberjack
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Post by AZLumberjack » Aug 14 2015 4:56 pm

I recently bought a pair of Merrell Chameleon 4 Stretch. I've Only had a couple of outings with them, but so far they seem to breathe well, they're light, but not as light as a trail runner and I love the traction thus far. They have a stiff arch so you don't feel the sharp points along the trails and they're comfortable. Not sure about the tongue, or lack of, it makes it difficult to slip on, but once on, they feel good and keep a lot of stuff out of the shoe.
Attachments
20150814_163551_Richtone(HDR).jpg
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

MtnBart01
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Aug 14 2015 8:05 pm

Amuri Z Treks sandals (Think chacos w/ out the bulky soles). I've been pretty much hiking everything in these for the last month with the exception of last weeks big hike in which I wore Soft Star Run Amocs which are pretty nice warm weather hiking shoes themselves.
http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=509728
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Aug 15 2015 12:49 am

@Tough_Boots
Keens are by far the most comfortable to me. And yes the soles don't last. This time I saved the box and receipt as I was told there guaranteed for a year. Really in Arizona no hiking shoes last a year if you really hike. But when I do hike comfort does have a value that I will pay extra for. When I broke my ankle I was wearing Vasques boots. One thing that I really like about Keens is when you lace them up the top hook actually keeps your lace snug before you even tie it.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 15 2015 4:57 am

SpiderLegs wrote:Salomon XT3 trail running shoe
SpiderLegs question: I have a pair of men's Salomon trailrunners labeled Speedcross 3. I haven't tried them for any serious hiking because after I got them I also got the Altra Superior 2.0, which is narrow but has a square toe box. Salomons also are narrow which is why I bought them. Anyway, is the Speedcross 3 similar to what you're describing?
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Aug 15 2015 5:20 am

@azbackpackr Not really. It doesn't have the brace to keep your heel aligned. It's lighter weight and the traction is more for running than multi terrain. The xt wings work great for me. Rarely do you see a shoe made year after year so they must sell well. However I think they are only good for people that make them work too. From 0 to 500 miles I know exactly what to expect.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 15 2015 6:12 am

Thanks. Will take a look at them.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

The_N
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by The_N » Aug 15 2015 9:44 am

@azbackpackr
I like the Speedcross 3's. On my 3rd pair now. They are 'trail runners' and probably not the best for those needing ankle and stability support but they fit my style/needs. Used em on all kinds of terrain including creek hiking and even snow once. They also dry out quickly by a camp fire
If there is no struggle, there is no progress.

mdfabbrini
City, State: Mount Shasta, CA

Post by mdfabbrini » Aug 15 2015 5:24 pm

@Widowmaker
Amen. I love that top hook on the Keens. The laces do indeed stay tight and tied.
et deinceps per nebula

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Aug 15 2015 5:53 pm

SummerShoes 001.JPG
Now if only I could install them into the soles....
When all else fails.
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 15 2015 9:06 pm

@The N
Thanks! I need to try them again. I seem to mostly be kayaking and biking lately but have permits for Havasupai and GC so I had better put feet to the ground.

JasonCleghorn

Post by JasonCleghorn » Aug 16 2015 8:11 am

Anyone wear the Keen Targhees?
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Aug 20 2015 9:59 am

I don't have the Targhees, but I am currently working through a pair of Verdi II mids I had picked up last year on clearance ($65 with shipping). I have gotten a good 200+ miles on them, and should be good for at least another 100 if not more. Pretty much used solely on rocky low desert hikes, this might be my favorite pair so far. Great ventilation, good tread, and ankle support.

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » Jan 22 2017 9:44 pm

A little bit of a thread resurrection...

Recently got a bug up my ass to really put the miles on and managed to wreck yet another pair of Merrell's. I was all set to pick up another pair but ever since the holidays, REI has had virtually no inventory (always pointing to the clearance/garage sale route.) I guess they are replacing them with a newer model, the 'FST'.

Figured now was as good a time as any to try something new, and while the big heavy pair of Salomons in my original post are still going strong, I figured I'd give that brand a shot in the trail runner category.

A pair of their X Ultra II's left the store with me and promptly got tested on Squaw Peak.

https://www.rei.com/product/894798/salo ... shoes-mens

It wasn't a perfect test since I was also hauling up a hefty pack full of camera gear, but the first 1/3rd or so of the trail was pretty brutal. I felt muscles in my feet getting worked that didn't like to be worked, and while I went into it knowing they had less support than I was used to, I thought it'd make for better trail feel on my brisk descents. Instead it just made for fairly rapid buyer's remorse, despite being some of the most comfortable shoes I've worn in ages (except under heavy load on jaggy stuff.)

Soooo, back they went today and a fresh pair of Oboz Sawtooth's left with me instead.

https://www.rei.com/product/781640/oboz ... shoes-mens

A friend had strongly recommended them to me when I was busily selecting the Salomons, but the PV REI didn't have any in my size, and I suck at being patient. Luckily, today, the Tempe store had my size and while one hike is hardly a full test, they're already SUBSTANTIALLY more comfortable for me than the old standby Moab Ventilators, and a lot more support on the jaggy bits than the Salomons. I clocked a relatively tame 20 minutes down Squaw Peak with them tonight, and the grip was really good too. (Probably could've pushed the speed a bit more, but not knowing the shoes that well, and being a new year where I'm nowhere near meeting my insurance deductible, I didn't wanna get too crazy.)

With a personal target of 4 hiking days per week, time will quickly tell how they hold up but I'm pretty hopeful.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 23 2017 3:59 am

Thoreau wrote:With a personal target of 4 hiking days per week
Thumbs up! :)

Your shoes look good. They have them in Women's, too, just in case any gals are wondering. Seriously doubt they'd fit me, though. I'm sticking with Altras because they're the only shoe I've found that fits.

Return to “Footwear & Trekking Poles”