Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Thoreau
Gadget Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Boots for hot weather hikes

Post by Thoreau » Aug 14 2015 12:30 pm

Did some quick digging and didn't find anything (nothing recent anyway) on the subject, so I pose this question to the more-informed-than-I masses...

What has proven a good option for footwear for hiking in hot weather? I'm mainly talking trails like Squaw Peak and Camelback (although probably some Flatiron mixed in there too.)

I hiked Camelback on the 4th of July in my Salomon boots, and while they do have some GoreTex for breathability, they're basically full height ovens in that kind of heat. They also weigh a ton so that wasn't really desirable either. I love them for backpacking and non-triple-digit temps, but something's gotta change now that I've become determined to hike through the summers here in Phoenix.

I've had Merrel Moab Ventilators in the past and that's the direction I'm leaning again unless something better has come along that doesn't go too crazy overboard on the cost factor. They weren't the most durable footwear I've ever had, but they did get abused pretty heavily on Squaw Peak and even pressed into service for backpacking, so I wasn't too upset on their longevity.

All I know for sure is that I do NOT want to tackle Camelback again mid-summer in those Salomon's as the heat inside was, for the first time ever for me, VERY noticeable and uncomfortable. Breathability is my #1 goal now. (Not to the point of sandals though, lol.)

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: Boots for hot weather hikes

Post by CannondaleKid » Jan 23 2017 6:59 am

@Thoreau I'll be interested to hear how well they grip on smooth and/or wet surfaces.
(The soles of my new Merrell Mid Water Proof boots seem too hard and thus providing little grip on said surfaces.)
CannondaleKid

Thoreau
Gadget Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Boots for hot weather hikes

Post by Thoreau » Feb 11 2017 10:55 am

Not terribly enthused by these Oboz Sawtooths either unfortunately. Had them for 3 weeks. 3 squaw peaks, 5 echo canyons, and 2 camelback traverses, and theyre already wearing down pretty rapidly. The tread also seems to feel less grippy than im used to from the merrells. Id say the compound is harder, which im sure it is, but that hasnt translated into longer lasting as id expect from that trade off. And i just cant seem to confidently haul ass down the trail in these as there have been quite a few slips with them.
20170211_103853.jpg
20170211_104027.jpg
20170211_103909.jpg
The toe area on the left one really has me wondering.

That said, the heel is built like a brick shithouse and is holding up remarkably well, and the overall ridigity and ability to keep jaggy bits from stabbing the foot have both proven to be impressive.

Return to “Footwear & Trekking Poles”