15%
Boiling
8%

Total votes: 168

mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

Water filters/purifiers

Post by mttgilbert » Aug 03 2003 12:11 am

I use a first need water purifier. It weighs around 18 ounces but filters down to .01 microns. It claims to take everything (including viruses) out of the water and I haven't had a problem yet. It costs around 80 bucks. I have also used iodine tablets and bleach, personally I like the purifiers (not just filters) better.

I would like to upgrade to a unit thats lighter and has a higher flow rate. Of course I want to retain the purifying aspect of the unit, any suggestions?

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Water filters/purifiers

Post by outdoor_lover » Mar 20 2014 12:14 pm

@Grasshopper
Every time I drive by your place, I beat myself up for not having it with me to return! We need to do Lunch, we're sadly way overdue! I'll have it back to you in the next couple of days! With a huge Thanks for letting me borrow it! :)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Mar 20 2014 1:32 pm

I always seem to carry enough water that I don't need a filter. However I do carry a Life Straw which I have never had to use. It weights only 2oz and cost $20. I am not sure if it is reuseable or not not. I bought it at Bass Pro Shop and always take it with me because you never know. Thats it the same reason I always carry head lamps with extra batteries. I have used my lights twice and not by choice. When I need them it was a great felling knowing there in my pack along with my Life Straw
Rowdy and Widowmaker

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Mar 20 2014 1:35 pm

@Widowmaker
If it is only a one use filter, might I also suggest carrying tablets...always good in a pinch as well..quick and easy to use..

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Mar 20 2014 1:56 pm

friendofThundergod wrote:might I also suggest carrying tablets
I always have tablets with me in case of an emergency. I also usually have my steripen depending where I'm going-- I've found that I'm much more likely to use it to top off somewhere than I am if I'm carrying my pump. The threat of having to clean my filter when I get home is more likely to make me say "ehhh... I probably have enough." It also allows me the freedom to mix up electrolytes on the fly without carrying a bottle of Gatorade all day or dipping into my bladder. Some type of water purification is a must have for your day-pack.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Mar 20 2014 2:09 pm

The 'claimed' weight of the Frontier Pro http://tinyurl.com/26o5yb is 2 oz. (dry). I have used these for many years - direct from a pop bottle or platy bag and/or add 3' (or more) of tubing for a gravity feed system using a platy bag and some sort of receptacle. Length of tubing UPSTREAM of the filter works best.
Generally I pay about $15 online. If filtering turbid water these have limitations, as do most filters.
Here is a gear report ... http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews ... t%20Papke/
kurt

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Mar 20 2014 5:44 pm

Still use Aqua Mira only, use a coffee filter to strain out some particulates. For water if rehydrating food or morning coffee, no treatment, just boil it and use it. Been doing this for years. Used to carry a filter/purifier but wanted less weight and fuss.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Mar 28 2014 1:04 pm

MSR MiniWorks- Marathon EX Ceramic Water Filter for HAZ Member Loan
( http://www.rei.com/product/695265/msr-m ... ter-filter )

Some time ago GPSjoe's son gave me GPSjoe's never used, above top-of the- line Mountain Safety Research (MSR) Water Filter. To date, with all filter accessories included with instruction manual, it is still yet to be used in the field. I have recently checked it out inside my residence and it works as new.

I would now like to offer this MSR Ceramic Water Filter for any needed HAZ member backpack loan availability. It's the way Joe would have wanted it to be used and shared. I live in South Scottsdale and would only request that the HAZ member(s) whom I loan it to would personally pick it up from me and personally deliver it back to me soon after their trip return. Just PM me if interested.. :thanx:
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Jul 14 2015 4:42 pm

I was just getting ready to put my Katadyn Hiker Filter up For Sale. I was literally typing it in and decided that I should probably check it out first in the Sink since it's been a couple of Years. The little Nipple on the Input End (Cheap Plastic) just broke off so I guess I won't be Selling it now, but throwing it away...If anyone needs any Parts, let me know....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Jul 15 2015 8:25 am

Outdoor Lover wrote:I was just getting ready to put my Katadyn Hiker Filter up For Sale. I was literally typing it in and decided that I should probably check it out first in the Sink since it's been a couple of Years. The little Nipple on the Input End (Cheap Plastic) just broke off so I guess I won't be Selling it now, but throwing it away...If anyone needs any Parts, let me know....
Before you part out your filter you may want to contact Katadyn about a potential repair/replacement. From memory, I believe they may have either a 20-year or lifetime warranty on their products.

Katadyn North America Inc.
4830 Azelia Avenue North
Minneapolis, MN 55429
U.S.A.
Tel - 800 755 6701
kurt

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Jul 15 2015 8:55 am

Thanks Kurt...I doubt if it would work, but I'll try it...I purchased this 10 Years ago and according to the Manual that came with it back then, the Warranty was only 1 Year...And I doubt very Seriously if I can find that Receipt either.... :sweat:

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Jul 15 2015 8:59 am

Outdoor Lover wrote:Thanks Kurt...I doubt if it would work, but I'll try it...I purchased this 10 Years ago and according to the Manual that came with it back then, the Warranty was only 1 Year...And I doubt very Seriously if I can find that Receipt either.... :sweat:
i never said it was a 'good' memory...... ;)
kurt

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Jul 15 2015 9:01 am

Hahaha....Well, I just called them anyway and they said I could get a Replacement Outer Shell for 12.00 plus 3.00 Shipping, so not sure how I want to Proceed. I guess if someone was interested in buying it, it might be worth it maybe.....

Return to “Hydration & Purification”