14%
Boiling
8%

Total votes: 175

mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

Water filters/purifiers

Post by mttgilbert » Aug 03 2003 12:11 am

I use a first need water purifier. It weighs around 18 ounces but filters down to .01 microns. It claims to take everything (including viruses) out of the water and I haven't had a problem yet. It costs around 80 bucks. I have also used iodine tablets and bleach, personally I like the purifiers (not just filters) better.

I would like to upgrade to a unit thats lighter and has a higher flow rate. Of course I want to retain the purifying aspect of the unit, any suggestions?

Desertroux
City, State: AZ to VA

Post by Desertroux » Aug 16 2006 4:07 pm

davis2001r6 wrote:I love my MSR Mini-Works EX, I wouldn't even consider switching
I totally agree. My brother has the EX and it kicks arse. I have the regular mini-works and it's been doing a great job for years. The EX pumps WAY faster though. Great filters fo' sho'.
The Dude Abides.....

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Aug 16 2006 4:46 pm

I've used a lot of them. I started with the Sweetwater, before it was bought by MSR. I didn't like how quickly it clogged and the fact that it tends to spray you in the face when it starts to do so.

Then I moved on to the Pur Scout (later to become the Katadyn Guide, except without the iodine-impregnated filter). It occassionally would stop operating altogether (which I later learned was a priming problem) and the design forced the non-pumping hand grip hard enough to counteract the pumping force of the other. (Later they redesigned it so that you can rest the end against the ground or a rock). However, it clogged about as quickly as the Sweetwater.

Now I use a Miniworks EX. Cartridges last a longer, but I find that the period of good flow after a cleaning isn't very long, so it takes a jillion strokes to fill my bladder. Another downside is the weight.

In summary, they all worked reasonably well, and were all infuriating to some degree. In AZ, I'll probably stick with the Miniworks EX. However, I'm thinking of changing to ClO2 treatment for Rocky Mountain stream water.

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Nov 19 2006 12:55 pm

Matt I just got a killer deal on the Katadyn Mini Ceramic. Is this an item you see any complaints with? (its little and blue, pump on top)
I know it only pumps around 1/2 liter per minute, but for a solo hike that is quite reasonable.
anyway, its retail is $89 so it better be good : rambo :
:D

mttgilbert

Post by mttgilbert » Nov 19 2006 7:39 pm

I have never heard any complaints about that unit in particular. The only thing I don't like about ceramic filters is that the element is extremely brittle. If it gets dropped just right (read; wrong) the ceramic shatters and then you're left without any filter at all. I would say that this probably does not happen very often, but I have seen them come back shattered.

In my mind, the filter rate makes absolutely no difference at all. I know that people are always comparing the rate, but when it comes down to it I don't understand why they are in such a big hurry (unless they are in a large group, in which case they are probably better carrying a couple filters for redundancy anyway).
Cogito ergo ambulo cum sacculo
-Matt Gilbert

no avatar
Fakawi
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Fakawi » Dec 01 2006 7:37 pm

I'm enjoying all of the discussion on this topic. Thanks all!
I'm still trying to dial in my water purification/ filtration system.

I use to be big on my Pur Hiker water filter until I was on the Little Blue up by Hannah Canyon. The rain moved in and I spent 2 days filtering silted water. The cartridge clogged up and I just couldn't push water through it anymore. Yes, I could have settled it first but I was on the go and didn't have the time. Besides, sometimes it just won't settle. Carrying a spare isn't a big deal I guess.

I currently use Aqua Mira chlorine drops. I filter the water, if needed for the elimination of floaties and green fuzzy stuff, through a bandana and then I treat it. These drops can take a while to kill Cryptosporidium depending on the water temperature, but are faster than a purifier. I don't really notice a taste to them either.

deserttarheel

Post by deserttarheel » Dec 01 2006 9:00 pm

In response to pakak's reply:

I also used to use the Pur, and now use Aqua Mira (+ bandana). Just as good, saves weight (my religion), and no pumping at all.
Molon Labe ("Come and get them.")

no avatar
donchris
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Hey . . . It's all good

Post by donchris » Apr 05 2007 4:09 pm

I grew up in a little farm town in Idaho drinking ditch water and I'm still alive. A filter works just fine. The next level (purifiers) is just an excuse to take more of your hard earned cash so you have less to spend on gas to get you to the mountains.

"Free yourselves from corporate America and go dip your toes and fingers into the waters of the Colorado."

mttgilbert

Re: Hey . . . It's all good

Post by mttgilbert » Apr 05 2007 5:31 pm

In response to donchris' reply:

It's not entirely true that purifiers are worthless. It just depends on the application. If you are going to a third world country (or slide rock in sedona) where viruses in the water are prevelant you should take a purifier. In the US and Canada a filter is good just about everywhere.

On another note remember that here in AZ (and in some other southwestern states) chemical pollution is a concern. Neither a filter nor a purifier can remove those chemicals (this is probably especially true if you find one that advertises that it can). If there are dead animals or little plant life around a water source, odds are you shouldn't drink from it under any circumstances.
-Matt Gilbert

mttgilbert

Re: Hey . . . It's all good

Post by mttgilbert » Apr 05 2007 5:41 pm

In response to donchris' reply:

I thought it fair to point out (after I already posted) that I work for REI (a corporation) and that we do sell purifiers to people. I just thought I should get that out there so as to avoid the semblance of some sort of secret "corporate" agenda. (do we have a "secret corporate agenda" emoticon?)

I also thought I should point out that, regarding the quote at the bottom of your post, the waters of the colorado are controlled by corporate america. So technically, by dipping your feet in the colorado you are further submersing yourself (literally and figuratively) into corporate america. :wink:

...Just a thought...
-Matt Gilbert

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Apr 05 2007 6:27 pm

the last time I drank unfiltered water, I was sure glad the beavers had built a dam just upstream, giving me a nice clear pool to dip my cup in.
:D

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Apr 05 2007 9:33 pm

I use a simple inline filter on my Camelback hose. It cost something like $12 at Popular in Flag (RIP), and doesn't require pumping, priming, etc. Its all gravity fed, and only filters out what you need to drink right then since its on the line. That plus a couple iodine tablets (or some boiled water) in the bladder and I haven't had any problems.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

tyrone anderson
City, State: payson, az

Re: Water filters/purifiers

Post by tyrone anderson » Jul 23 2008 2:06 pm

I use an old filter system and one the ultraviolet bad stuff killers - so far so good
TWA

mttgilbert

Post by mttgilbert » Jul 23 2008 10:28 pm

theres a new sawyer gravity fed filter that claims to filter a million gallons of water. I've never used it but it sounds cool.

I recently started using the steri-pen. Lightweight, but not a filter. I think all of the municipal water treatment facilities are using UV technology these days, so why not me?
-Matt Gilbert

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Jul 24 2008 7:17 am

Steripen here, too. Does nothing about the taste, but that's what Gatorade is for, right? :D
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

nonot

Post by nonot » Dec 06 2008 7:39 pm

Bringing this post to the surface. I went with the majority and got the Miniworks EX. It's slow to pump but has filtered some nasty water with it coming out tasting like nothing (like water should).

The newer microworks looks like a better design and is a little smaller. The Katadyn filters pump faster but have a larger pore size.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

Davis2001r6
City, State: Bordeaux, France

Post by Davis2001r6 » Dec 07 2008 8:42 pm

nonot wrote:The newer microworks looks like a better design and is a little smaller.
Whats the microworks? If you talking about the MSR Hyperflow don't waste your time. The things is a POS, the first 3-4 liters will flow crazy fast, after that it's slower than the miniworks and clogs all together. Good luck getting the backflush to work either. Look at the reviews for it at REI's website, they are all 5's or 1's. I suspect the people who rated it a 5 used it in the kitchen sink for 1 liter and saw how fast it was. The 1's were people that tried using it in the field.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Dec 07 2008 8:49 pm

My previous comments still stand. The Miniworks weighs too much, but it always does what I expect it to, which is more than I can say about the others I've tried. Tablets are fine, too, under the right circumstances.

nonot

Post by nonot » Dec 07 2008 11:00 pm

Huh, marketing...they appear to have changed the name to SweetWater Microfilter, I think it used to be the microworks anyway
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

kevinweitzel75
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Apr 22 2010 2:15 pm

Not to :bdh: , but I am wondering what is the best way to filter/treat water for drinking. I have had people tell me 2 drops of Clorox bleach per liter is the lightest, and best way. I'm not too sure about that, but without spending an arm and a leg on devises, I would say bandana filter with purifacation tables and then boil sounds pretty good to me.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

dysfunction
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by dysfunction » Apr 22 2010 2:19 pm

If you're going to boil it, you probably don't need to purify it chemically. That being said, the weight of the fuel that'd be needed to boil all your water would be more than I'd personally want to carry. I either use a MSR miniworks (kind of heavy, but it works well and is field serviceable and pretty cheap really.. esp when you catch it on sale) or aquamira liquid.. which is chlorine dioxide, does not leave a taste really, and is the same stuff used to chemically purify municipal sources in the first place.
mike

"Solvitur ambulando" or maybe by brewers.

Return to “Hydration & Purification”