Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
evenstarx3
Wonderful Wizard of AZ
City, State: Sun City West, AZ from CA

Water Filters?

Post by evenstarx3 » Jul 21 2002 2:31 pm

Got an REI gift card from my kid for my B-day and thinking of getting a water filter. Suggestions please?
Hooli, aka Trihairopelli
http://members.tripod.com/~evenstar/
http://www.arizonahikers.com/
"They say the dog is man's best friend.
I don't believe that. How many of your friends have you neutered?"
--Larry Reeb

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: Water Filters?

Post by big_load » Oct 10 2010 8:34 pm

kevinweitzel75 wrote:Looking to spend about $100, something that will filter 500 gallons plus before needing a filter change. Easy to unclog out in the field so on and so forth.
That sounds like an MSR Miniworks. It's not the lightest option and not much fun to pump, but I've used a lot of filters and haven't found one that can beat it for field serviceability and cartridge life.

allanalxndr
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phx, AZ

Post by allanalxndr » Oct 10 2010 9:14 pm

rlrjamy wrote:Not sure the specs..but under $100..katadyn hiker pro which i like a lot...my msr was a side pumper I didn't like how much energy it took but it filtered great.
I would also recommend this filter as well. I have had it for a couple years now and its worked great. No issues with it in the field and its easy to clean.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Oct 11 2010 2:48 am

Oh, my. Bringing up Hoolie's old thread brings back memories. Kevin, the guy who started the thread passed away suddenly in March of '09.
I have the Katahdyn, it works fine, very popular. But it is pretty bulky and heavy for an ultralighter, which is the direction I would like to head, although my pocket book is saying otherwise. But I am eventually going to look at other options. My son was telling me about this little thing the Marines are using, will have to ask him about it, it is available commercially as well, he said.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Oct 11 2010 5:51 am

If a person will mostly be 'filtering' clear water there are other options out there that will purify it for drinking.
Steri-Pen is one (there are a few models) - MSR makes the Miox - I swear by Aqua-Mira drops and have not 'pumped' water in over 10 years. In addition to the Aqua-Mira drops I carry their Frontier Pro filter which fastens to the top of a pop or platy bottle.
When no clear water is nearby, pouring cloudy water through fleece is remarkably effective in screening out particulates.
kurt

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Oct 11 2010 6:12 am

I think the USMC is using one of those methods you are talking about. I just can't remember which one.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Oct 11 2010 6:49 am

azbackpackr wrote:I think the USMC is using one of those methods you are talking about. I just can't remember which one.
At least in 'the old days', Chlor-Floc and/or iodine tablets were USMC standard issue. I would venture that they, at their normal pace, have or will adopt a more contemporary solution. I believe that there are military-issue Miox units in use, at least on a testing basis.
kurt

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Oct 11 2010 9:00 am

That is what I am thinking my son said. He is in Afghanistan right now. But I can email him and ask.

kevinweitzel75
Kokevinkopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Oct 11 2010 12:38 pm

azbackpackr wrote:Kevin, the guy who started the thread passed away suddenly in March of '09.
I'm sorry to hear that. It always sucks losing friends. :(
azbackpackr wrote:My son was telling me about this little thing the Marines are using, will have to ask him about it, it is available commercially as well, he said.
I think the Marines are using both the MSR Mini-Works and the MIOX. Not too sure. But it's a toss up b/w the Mini-Works or the Katadyn Hiker Pro, I think. I used my buddys Hiker Pro on the last backing trip, besides from a few clogs, the thing worked pretty good. Still, want to check all options before forking over any money. Made that mistake with my GPS. :x
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

BobP
Cairn Reaper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Oct 11 2010 12:44 pm

kevinweitzel75 wrote:the Mini-Works or the Katadyn Hiker Pro
They both worked great for me....I returned my mini-works only after using someone's Katadyn just because it was easier and on a 50 mile bp easier is key for me....i've had both clog..if i were doing just overnights I'd probably still have my msr its a good bicep workout. :M2C:
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Oct 11 2010 12:47 pm

I have the Katahdyn Hiker. Is it different than the Hiker Pro? It works well but is bulky. I am thinking of switching to tablets. I

BobP
Cairn Reaper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Oct 11 2010 12:53 pm

azbackpackr wrote:I have the Katahdyn Hiker. Is it different than the Hiker Pro? It works well but is bulky. I am thinking of switching to tablets. I
hiker vs. pro i think they're very similar...only had the pro at rei when i bought it. as for tabs i use them for clear water. silty water or cow tank plus tabs equals :yuck: . even filtered thru fleece or a bandanna.
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

big_load
You talkin' to me peli

Post by big_load » Oct 11 2010 1:07 pm

I think the main tradeoff between the Hiker Pro and the Miniworks is weight vs. cartridge life.

By the way, I also have an MSR Autoflow gravity filter for when I'm feeling extra lazy. I haven't used in AZ yet, but it's hard to beat for effort. I've also used the Platypus Cleanstream, which is practically identical and the Katadyn Basecamp.

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Oct 11 2010 1:15 pm

azbackpackr wrote:I have the Katahdyn Hiker. Is it different than the Hiker Pro? It works well but is bulky. I am thinking of switching to tablets. I
Pro = 30% higher capacity and quick-release fittings (at least according to their "technical support video").
However, the white sheet of each is identical - The link for the Hiker-PRO white sheet actually points to the same one as the standard Hiker :? They should get on-the-ball.

Also, as these state that they have glass fiber filters; are they field-servicable? Meaning; can they be cleaned in the field like ceramic, or are they one-in-the-same?
kurt

kevinweitzel75
Kokevinkopelli

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Oct 16 2010 1:51 pm

Now I'm thinking the Cleanstream or the MSR Autoflow. Seems kind of nice to not have to worry about losing the prime or having to pump. Hum.
Robert Frost

big_load
You talkin' to me peli

Post by big_load » Oct 16 2010 8:30 pm

hikeaz wrote:Also, as these state that they have glass fiber filters; are they field-servicable? Meaning; can they be cleaned in the field like ceramic, or are they one-in-the-same?
They're field cleanable, but different from the ceramic. The ceramic has about 3x longer life, but the Hiker cartridges seem to last quite a while for most people.
kevinweitzel75 wrote:Now I'm thinking the Cleanstream or the MSR Autoflow. Seems kind of nice to not have to worry about losing the prime ...
It is possible to lose the prime on those. You restore it by backflushing, which is also how you clean them.

colowlkr
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Fort Morgan, Co.

Post by colowlkr » Apr 10 2011 9:37 am

We've been using the MSR miniworks for about 3 years now. We typically use it for about four weeks a year, for groups of two to five at a time. We're still on the original filter and its a breeze to use in my opinion. If you lightly clean the filter on a regular basis, you should have no problems. In really dirty water, we will put a coffee filter on the inlet to prevent the silt from clogging the filter as quickly. If it starts to be slower or hard to pump, just lightly clean the filter and rinse with filtered water, and you're good to go! Replacement ceramic filters are available on Amazon.com pretty cheaply. I've never had to replace the element yet, but, I do have one handy on long trips in. :wrt:
"There's always a trail"

kevinweitzel75
Kokevinkopelli

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Apr 10 2011 11:36 am

I picked up an MSR Sweetwater off Craigs List for $30 or 40 bucks, can't remember. The guy selling it said he only used acouple of times, but the filter was WHITE. And when I pumped tap water, the first 3 or 4 pumps were charcole color. The only thing that was missing was the cleaning brush, problem solved with a couple of bucks at the local pet store. Have used it have a dozen times or so. Works awsome.
Robert Frost

big_load
You talkin' to me peli

Post by big_load » Apr 10 2011 11:46 am

kevinweitzel75 wrote:I picked up an MSR Sweetwater off Craigs List for $30 or 40 bucks, can't remember. The guy selling it said he only used acouple of times, but the filter was WHITE. And when I pumped tap water, the first 3 or 4 pumps were charcole color.
Wow, that was an old one, and perhaps the filter element had never been used at all.

PLC92084
∞kopelli
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Apr 11 2011 7:24 am

I too picked up a Sweetwater filter; got mine about a year ago. They were excess government stock being cleaned out. Brand new, in the box, for $40.00. May be yesterdays model but it works like a champ! Just picked up a silt filter in preparation for the Grand Gulch trip..

autumnstars
Viva Vegapelli
City, State: Las Vegas, NV

Post by autumnstars » Nov 06 2011 8:05 am

I've had the Katadyn Hiker and loved it - worked like a charm for over 5 years. Until the small plastic connection port broke off in the inflow hose. OK, REI replaced it for free (love their return policy). The same part broke off in the hose this past GC trip. Now I have about had it with this issue and am looking to replace.
I'm not generally hard in equipment, so I'm pretty sure it's not just me...

Anyone have any experience/luck with the UV water purification "pens?" - how delicate, etc.

At the same time, the back-up method I had along was Micropur water purification tablets, which worked great because I had nice, clear water to start with. Only problem was, they have to stew in the water for 4 hours, which meant I could only use them overnight for my next day's water.
"Let it ride / Let it roll / Let it go"

Return to “Hydration & Purification”