Hydration Pouch Reviews -

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Hydration Pouch Reviews -

Post by PLC92084 » Jul 08 2010 11:35 am

I'm planning to upgrade my 2L hydration pouch to make better use of the space available in my backpack carrier. I've been looking at the MSR Dromedary bags (4L and 6L) because the geometry of the bag makes efficient use of the space. I understand the risks of placing all of one's "eggs" in a single basket so I'm not totally in love with the 6L bag idea... A 4L bag with a couple of 1L bottles may be an option (especially since I like to carry more than just water).

Since I'm no fan of re-inventing the wheel, so to speak, I throw myself on the mercy (and wisdom) of my fellow HAZ'ers...

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: Hydration Pouch Reviews -

Post by big_load » Jul 08 2010 12:34 pm

They're heavy. If you like that setup, you might consider the DromLite. I prefer Platypus bags myself, usually a mix of various sizes to distribute the weight and the risk.

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jul 08 2010 12:39 pm

Sounds like a personal preference type of thing. I'd rather have smaller quarts after my initial 3L for Gatorade, caching and squeezing into my pack at random spots. Don't ever recall an issue with plastic bottles, a couple times with reservoirs. Then again I've never tried a Dromedary. It's been a long while but I've used Platypus in the past without issue.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

PLC92084

Post by PLC92084 » Jul 08 2010 12:48 pm

@big_load:
I'm considering the Platypus bags... Are they sufficiently "tuff" without a covering to be trusted in a pack? Punctures are not on my list of tolerable failures!

@joe bartels
I agree with the concept of several smaller containers rather than one large one... The pouch on my pack looks like it can handle a 4L bag so that's why I'm considering that size. Two, 2L bags might be a hassle since I'd have to either have two hoses or change one out when the bag empties (not a problem with bottles...).

Thanks for the excellent feedback so far... Keep it coming!

big_load

Post by big_load » Jul 08 2010 12:55 pm

PLC92084 wrote:I'm considering the Platypus bags... Are they sufficiently "tuff" without a covering to be trusted in a pack? Punctures are not on my list of tolerable failures!
They are highly puncture-resistant. My only beef is that they don't last forever. Eventually they develop pinhole leaks at fold points, but that's a very long-term process and you can see it coming. I always carry a spare or two just in case. I've been using them almost exclusively for about seven years. I use a Camelbak for dayhiking around home, but not for backpacking anymore.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jul 08 2010 12:57 pm

I prefer the big mouth opening of Camelbaks for cleaning purposes and they expand well when freezing. The Dromedary says they handle freezing well and they look cleanable too. Man that 10L one is a steal for $40 compared to a Camelbak. Of course then you need to buy a wagon :lol:
big_load wrote:I always carry a spare or two just in case.
they are extremely light weight and fold/roll down to virtually nothing
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jul 08 2010 1:07 pm

I use the MSR Dromedary Bags as my cache bags for Grand Canyon Hikes. They are bomber durable. I have a couple of 2Ls and a couple of 4Ls depending on the hike. I have my name, emergency contact info and expected pickup date on the cache bags. I've never weighed them - I don't know how their weight compares to the Camelbak Military/tactical reservoirs I use.

For hiking, I use Camelbak Military/Tactical reservoirs (Water Beast). I buy them at Scottsdale Gun Club. They are durable and I like the connectors. Easily serviceable and fits to water filters. I typically hike with a 3L reservoir and various bottles (24oz or 1l) depending on the hike. I like to gulp from bottles when I take a rest stop. One of my packs doesn't handle the 3L size very well so I use the 2L size. I've never had a leak but I would have the backup in my bottles if ever I did have a leak. I don't think I would want that futz factor with 2 2L bags and hoses.

I have used Platypus reservoirs. They are lightweight but I have had a couple develop leaks where I had folded them. They have never punctured. I would use them for the light weight but I would be more careful with them and keep them flat not folded. I guess my experience is similar to Big_load's with these bags.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

MtnBart01
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Jul 08 2010 1:20 pm

I just sent in my platypus 1 liter bladders to MSR/Platypus a couple months ago. I had them for 13 years and after freezing fluids for a summer bike taxi job a few years back and several winter camping trips the plastic was starting to delam although only one leaked. True to their word they had a lifetime warranty and when I called about one leaking they told me to send them all back and replaced all 9 with their newest model which seems to be more flexible and has a reinforced loop for attaching. I like them 'cause when they are empty they compact nicely. My only gripe is that the new top has a pop out so you can use it as a squirt bottle, but I have found them to leak. However, they are the same size as the original bladders and standard size 20 oz/2liter etc pop bottle lids work and are much more durable than the Platypus lids. I found this out because I bought the original bladders at a closeout camping store in Portland for a buck a piece w/out lids. I don't know if they still carry them, but they sent me some repair stickers a few years ago. I carry them with my stove and sprung a leak in a 3 liter I had. I put this sticker on the bladder and used that bladder for another year with the sticker before I warrantied it. They are handy for field repair not sure if they still make the stickers or not.
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jul 08 2010 1:31 pm

wow
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

PLC92084

Post by PLC92084 » Jul 08 2010 2:12 pm

OK... So far so good! Excellent suggestions one and all !!

I'm leaning towards Platypus. This may have swayed me: http://www.rei.com/product/781835?prefe ... erralID=NA

It can be part of my hydration "system"... Let's see Camelbak beat that!

paulhubbard
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by paulhubbard » Jul 08 2010 2:21 pm

"Container is lightweight and packable so you can carry wine to the campsite or take it along to a picnic in the park"

I've never thought about packing a liter of wine to the top of Flatiron... :-k
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

PLC92084

Post by PLC92084 » Jul 08 2010 2:26 pm

I suppose if I go with the 10L bag Joe was referring to, I can just pick up a couple of boxes of wine and lose the cardboard (they come in bags too!)...

Provided I make it to whatever my destination is, I could open a beverage stand!

tibber

Post by tibber » Jul 08 2010 2:59 pm

PLC92084 wrote:I suppose if I go with the 10L bag Joe was referring to, I can just pick up a couple of boxes of wine and lose the cardboard (they come in bags too!)...

Provided I make it to whatever my destination is, I could open a beverage stand!
:DANCE:
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

writelots
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots » Jul 08 2010 3:04 pm

I use platy, too. Lighter than the camelbak, plenty sturdy and used to be that it was easy to get additional bottles without having to buy new hoses and that whole gig each time. Then you just screw the tube off one, and plop it onto the next. Viola. I have a 3L bladder, a 2L bottle (or had until a recent run-in with the tip of a very hot backpacking stove) and the rest I put in 1L Aquafina bottles. Like Joe, I like to stuff them in the pack wherever I find extra room.

BTW, now I only see the "hosers" available in stores and on the play webpage, and the bags sans tubes are MIA. Just fits into my observation that all of the cool stuff in life is disappearing...
-----------------------------------
It troubles me that these days no matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up
- Lilly Tomlin

big_load

Post by big_load » Jul 08 2010 3:33 pm

writelots wrote:BTW, now I only see the "hosers" available in stores and on the play webpage, and the bags sans tubes are MIA. Just fits into my observation that all of the cool stuff in life is disappearing...
The 3L bags without hoses are getting hard to find. 2L and smaller are still readily available.

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Jul 08 2010 6:03 pm

I have used the "heavy" Dromedary bags for years. No complaints, and they just replaced one that was at least 10 years old and the inner lining was failing. Tried the lite ones but one sprung a leak. For the minimal weight difference, the reliability makes them worth the cost and the weight.

$.02
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

nonot

Post by nonot » Jul 08 2010 8:31 pm

MSR 4L dromedary is the best item for carrying water. The platys break w/abuse and the 6L dromedary is monster heavy.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

MtnBart01
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Jul 09 2010 7:35 am

@writelots
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___67069.
They make these water tanks 2,4,6 liters and I'm sure you can warranty or call Platypus. If you ask them nicely they would probably sell you the 3 liter bottle without the hose if you don't have one to warranty, but still have the hose. I have found Cascade Designs more than reasonable on all of their product lines with respect to warranty, replacement, and repair. Stove, snowshoes, and water hydration.
Last edited by MtnBart01 on Jul 10 2010 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

PLC92084

Post by PLC92084 » Jul 09 2010 8:22 am

Thanks for all the great feedback, my friends!! As luck would have it, I discovered a local source with 4L MSR Dromlite bags - new, in-box for $15.00ea. One of those and a couple of 1L Platypus' should suffice nicely...

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Jul 09 2010 6:53 pm

PLC92084 wrote: . . . I discovered a local source with 4L MSR Dromlite bags - new, in-box for $15.00ea.
Is that source available to all of us?
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Return to “Hydration & Purification”