Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
PLC92084
∞kopelli
City, State: Vista, CA

Hydration Pouch Reviews -

Post by PLC92084 » Jul 08 2010 11:35 am

I'm planning to upgrade my 2L hydration pouch to make better use of the space available in my backpack carrier. I've been looking at the MSR Dromedary bags (4L and 6L) because the geometry of the bag makes efficient use of the space. I understand the risks of placing all of one's "eggs" in a single basket so I'm not totally in love with the 6L bag idea... A 4L bag with a couple of 1L bottles may be an option (especially since I like to carry more than just water).

Since I'm no fan of re-inventing the wheel, so to speak, I throw myself on the mercy (and wisdom) of my fellow HAZ'ers...

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: Hydration Pouch Reviews -

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 10 2010 5:38 am

Thanks, people! I need new ones for my mtn bike packs, my daypack and my overnight pack.

I just was a bit amused-and-confused at the constant switching, on some of your posts, between metric measurements and ounces. Got me confused there, but I always can remember that a liter is just a little more than a quart. Therefore, 3L is less than a gallon but more than 3 quarts, so might weigh a little less than 7 pounds.

Myself, I always measure in ounces and gallons. I can always remember that one gallon weighs 8 pounds, a quart is 2 pounds, a pint is a pound. If you are going to measure your pack weight in ounces and pounds, instead of kilograms, it makes sense to also measure your water in ounces and gallons.

One way this review page could be vastly improved would be with more actual links to the products, not just that silly wine thing!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 10 2010 5:46 am

bart01 wrote:@big_load
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___67069.
They make these water tanks 2,4,6 liters and I'm sure you can warranty or call Platypus. If you ask them nicely they would probably sell you the 3 liter bottle without the hose if you don't have one to warranty, but still have the hose. I have found Cascade Designs more than reasonable on all of their product lines with respect to warranty, replacement, and repair. Stove, snowshoes, and water hydration.
I think what they were talking about was there used to be more water bags that didn't have hoses at all.

As for the above tanks, those are nice if you are dry camping somewhere like Horseshoe Mesa in the Canyon, and need to hike to a nearby spring to haul water to camp. Word to the wise, though: Don't leave them out where the ravens can see them! When I stash water in the Canyon I worry less about rodents and more about ravens, and always hide my water under a stack of rocks. It is not fun to come back to your campsite or water cache to find your water bag is full of holes! Been there, done that!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Jul 10 2010 7:47 am

PLC- i'll take one please
:D

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 10 2010 9:11 am

Hey look, the squirrel has come out of his hole!

MtnBart01
Chipita Whirlybird
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Jul 10 2010 11:04 am

@azbackpackr
The quote actually came from writelots, but big load responded and I responded to the wrong person. I suggested the product to because it sounds like she actually has an old style drink tube and is having difficulty finding the old style bladders that either take a screw top lid and/ or the old style drink tube(multifunctional). The product on Campmor seems to have the old standard thread that accommodates both. I also suggested calling cascade designs because although she apparently put a hole in one of her bladders with a hot stove they may warranty or in light of the situation may be willing to sell her an old style bladder without having to buy or pay for a drinking tube. The hosers come with the tube and don't accommodate the tube she already has and I haven't looked closely enough at them to see if they can be used stand alone like the old bladders (with a threaded lid). I bought all my water containers at close out including my current 100ounce hydration and when they start to look like they may leak and are getting old I call up Cascade Design and send in my old tattered one and they send me a brand new bottle. I have replaced my current bladder 2x in 13 years and just sent in my one liter bladders as I mentioned before and they sent me 9 brand new replacement bottles along with the msr snowshoe binding that rlrjamy made me break. (Of course that was old out of warranty and was much cheaper than a new pair of snowshoes :D)
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

Thoreau
Gadget Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Thoreau » Jul 10 2010 1:14 pm

Al_HikesAZ wrote:I don't know how their weight compares to the Camelbak Military/tactical reservoirs I use.

For hiking, I use Camelbak Military/Tactical reservoirs (Water Beast). I buy them at Scottsdale Gun Club. They are durable and I like the connectors. Easily serviceable and fits to water filters. I typically hike with a 3L reservoir and various bottles (24oz or 1l) depending on the hike. I like to gulp from bottles when I take a rest stop. One of my packs doesn't handle the 3L size very well so I use the 2L size. I've never had a leak but I would have the backup in my bottles if ever I did have a leak.
I use the same ones (and from the same retailer since for some reason, SGC just pimpslaps all the hike-shops on price... $30 for a 3L bladder, quick connect hose system, shutoff valve, insulated hose, etc.) and you're looking at 10.1oz for the 3L model in question. That includes adding a mouthpiece cover as well (holy crap is that handy for those times ya set your pack down in dirt/sand...) The filter adapter for the quick connect system was something like $5 online too and the whole system works great with a Katadyn Hiker filter. No need to dig the bladder out of a backpack to refill.

As an aside, the packaging on this particular model would suggest that there is a shut-off valve not only on the hose next to the mouthpiece, but on the bladder itself below the hose connector. This would be phenomenal for being able to have a full bag and still be able to connect/disconnect the hoses. Alas, they either haven't yet gone live with that feature, or it may have been scrapped in the past as the two that I've bought did NOT have such a valve. I contacted Camelbak to let them know about this mix up since the packaging advertises a feature that the product doesn't actually have, and they sent me a shiny new 1L Camelbak bottle (and access to a discounted section of their retail site). I would've much preferred the valve, but hey, that's still WAY more customer service than a lot of companies these days =)

El product-o's....
The full Bladder/hose system:
( dead link removed )

Nifty bite valve cover:
( dead link removed )

Filter adapter:
( dead link removed )

Just gotta remember to OPEN the flow valve on the hose before starting to pump water into the system. I've had the pressure build up and pop the hose off of the filter itself a few times by forgetting that =)

Return to “Hydration & Purification”