Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
krispykritter
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: santan valley

First Need purifier

Post by krispykritter » Jan 07 2011 8:03 pm

I just got this purifier fron an friend where I work. He told me he bought it along time ago pumped maybe 5 gallons through it and it been sitting for years. I see they still sell them and I can get filters. Are they good purifiers? Since hasnt been used for some time should I get a new filter or will it be ok? In the paperwork they talk of backflushing it with a little bleach do you think that would be good enough?

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: First Need purifier

Post by big_load » Jan 07 2011 8:12 pm

They're quite good, although a bit heavy. Check the manufacturer's recommendation for cleaning, but I would expect the current filter to be OK after that.

krispykritter
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: santan valley

Post by krispykritter » Jan 07 2011 8:59 pm

Wow this thing is older than I thought. Lookin at the bottom of the brochur it said 1988.

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Jan 07 2011 10:03 pm

I use this kind, and do back flush it with a mild bleach solution. There is a test procedure I believe with blue food coloring / dye of some sort. I lost my bottle of that so have used the old filter, with no problem. The new model filters are supposed to have several improvements but I've not bought one yet. Mine has "purified" some pretty nasty water.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Jan 10 2011 11:46 am

Very good filter. I doubt that 'sitting' has caused any degradation. You only need to backwash as the filter becomes clogged with particles, which will usually manifest itself by it being hard to pump.
kurt

skatchkins
D’Avy Crockettpelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by skatchkins » Jan 10 2011 5:00 pm

I use that one too
May he guide you through the wilderness : protect you through the storm;
May he bring you home rejoicing : at the wonders he has shown you;
Armchair Crisis Design

whereveriroam
Roaming Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by whereveriroam » Jan 11 2011 12:01 am

Good purifier but the new cannister filters are much bigger then the older ones. I'd rather have a smaller one to lighten the weight. To check if the filter is still good I usually put 2-3 drops of blue food coloring dye in a pint size glass. I then pump the "blue water" into a clear glass. If the pumped water is blue, then the filter is no good. If clear your good to go but these filters just go bad without warning so check prior to each trip. I've found with the older and smaller cannister filter you'll get about 60 gallons out of them in AZ instead of the advertised 100. Best price I've found on replacement cannister filter is from backcountry.com

Return to “Hydration & Purification”