Camelbak- New Reservoir Redesign(Antidote)

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Camelbak- New Reservoir Redesign(Antidote)

Post by Grasshopper » Mar 06 2011 11:59 am

This past January I purchased the newly designed Camelbak Fourteener 26 for my longer day hiking. It has 1587 cubic inches with enough storage compartments, overflow, and extra water bottle compartments to satisfy my need for all the stuff (my ~25 lbs worth) I carry on my day hikes for that unexpected overnight..

I would caution those who have in the past purchased Camelbak day packs and accessories to now be aware that Camelbak has redesigned a number of their day packs which includes this model mentioned above. They now have a new design/changed reservoir system and some of their day packs have been redesigned to accommodate this new reservoir system. They call it: "Antidote™ reservoir equipped with the Quick Link™ connection system for hassle-free removal of the drinking tube". I don't care for this new design, but I decided to keep my new Fourteener 26 day pack rather than take it back. The drinking tube does now disconnect for easier cleaning at both ends, but I don't care for their new on/off connection system which has a rubber "O" ring in the connection that I can see drying out over time-breaking and/or coming off to lose it. This new design will probably also add additional cost to the purchase of additional drinking tubes and to the purchase of the new reservoirs. Also, along with this new tube connection system, they have resigned the water reservoirs (2 and 3 liter) to take up less space "width-wise" in the redesigned day pack compartment, so now if you have previously invested in spare original design (wider) Camelbak reservoirs or want to use your original design reservoir in your new designed (Antidote™ reservoir) day pack, then it probably won't fit correctly. :(
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Camelbak- New Reservoir Redesign(Antidote)

Post by joebartels » Mar 08 2011 9:46 am

Not sure about the tube part but the rest looks promising https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddRGEMR-9Qo
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

John9L

Post by John9L » Mar 08 2011 7:25 pm

I don't understand why Camelbak feels compelled to change the design. I have a pair of 100oz Bladders that are going on ten years old. I've taken excellent care of them and hope they last for years to come. This "Quick Link" sounds like a fancy gimmick we'll rarely need. And like Grasshopper said it will probably greatly reduce the longevity of the bladder. I'm disappointed Camelbak would go this direction...especially if they phase out the old style entirely. I'll have to take a look in the stores just to see the change. Luckily I have a third 100oz bladder that still has the plastic on it. I'm sure I'll use it someday. And yeah you can tell I'm a big Camelbak fan. I have a small, medium and large day pack. :scared:

Sun_Ray

Post by Sun_Ray » Mar 08 2011 8:34 pm

Watched the video link Joe posted............. really like the new design. I too have an old style 100 oz in reserve so I'm not going to run out and get a new design just yet but think they did a good job with it.
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Mar 08 2011 8:39 pm

Water bag solution:
(dead link removed)

I bought one 10+ years ago, when it gave out last year (the inside coating just slowly gave out) MSR replaced it. I'm still using the same tube, but have tried different bite valves.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » Mar 10 2011 8:56 am

Too bad they didn't just stick to the QD system found on their military models. "HydroLink" is on just about all of the bladders I own and I wouldn't have it any other way.

It has QD points on both ends of the hose. The one at the bladder side does indeed make cleaning/drying much easier, and the one at the bite valve end not only let's you really get those valves cleaned out (I throw them in the dishwasher) but it also lets you connect other items such as your water filter so you can just pump water right into the bladder without even having to take it out of your pack.

Standard HydroLink hose setup:
(dead link removed)

Extremely nifty filter adapter:
(dead link removed)

I think I like the new bladder itself though... I can see some shopping in my near future =)
Last edited by joebartels on Aug 26 2018 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grasshopper

Re: CamelBak- New Reservoir Redesign (Antidote)

Post by Grasshopper » Feb 24 2012 10:06 pm

Grasshopper wrote:This past January I purchased the newly designed Camelbak Fourteener 26 for my longer day hiking. It has 1587 cubic inches with enough storage compartments, overflow, and extra water bottle compartments to satisfy my need for all the stuff (my ~25 lbs worth) I carry on my day hikes for that unexpected overnight..

I would caution those who have in the past purchased Camelbak day packs and accessories to now be aware that Camelbak has redesigned a number of their day packs which includes this model mentioned above. They now have a new design/changed reservoir system and some of their day packs have been redesigned to accommodate this new reservoir system. They call it: "Antidote™ reservoir equipped with the Quick Link™ connection system for hassle-free removal of the drinking tube". I don't care for this new design, but I decided to keep my new Fourteener 26 day pack rather than take it back. The drinking tube does now disconnect for easier cleaning at both ends, but I don't care for their new on/off connection system which has a rubber "O" ring in the connection that I can see drying out over time-breaking and/or coming off to lose it. This new design will probably also add additional cost to the purchase of additional drinking tubes and to the purchase of the new reservoirs. Also, along with this new tube connection system, they have resigned the water reservoirs (2 and 3 liter) to take up less space "width-wise" in the redesigned day pack compartment, so now if you have previously invested in spare original design (wider) Camelbak reservoirs or want to use your original design reservoir in your new designed (Antidote™ reservoir) day pack, then it probably won't fit correctly. :(
I've been meaning to post an update to my above 3/6/11: Now almost a year later having used this new "Antidote" reservoir system on a number of dayhikes, it turns out that all the concerns I had regarding this new CamelBak "Antidote" redesign have not been an issue to date. In fact, I am liking this new design, especially the ability now to remove the hose for easier cleaning and faster drying. Also, I do believe that with this new "Antidote" hose design, that CamelBak also corrected the old hose design delamination problem within the inner tube which use to cause me grief trying to find replacement hoses and me ending up having to purchase the insulated type hose since I could never find the plain hose in stock. So far I have not had any problems with the new design hose on/off connection using that new "O" ring design. Also, I have confirmed that the new "Antidote" reservoir design (less space needed width-wise) and the old reservoir design (more space width-wise) are interchangeable between the old design and new design CamelBak daypacks. The only issue I have is the added cost for the new CamelBak "Antidote" design which is more expensive than the older design, but both designs seem to be still be available and stocked by REI and such.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

WilliamnWendi
City, State: Phoenix, Az

Post by WilliamnWendi » Feb 25 2012 6:01 am

I started reading this thread from the top, having just purchased the 3l Antidote(upgrading from a 2l off-brand), I was getting a little nervous. I do think that eventually the o-ring will be a problem, but after reading this thread perhaps I'll just keep some fresh o-rings in my gear for back up.

I did have an issue on my maiden hike with the Antidote. I took a hard fall on my pumpkin almost right out the right out the starting gate. Most of the impact went right my pack. Don't know whether it was this fall, or failure to make a proper connection but the hose decoupled. I tried to take a drink but just sucked air. There were no leaks in the bag...thinking back over it all I must have never made a proper connection. No leaks in the bag, sucking air, so no water in the hose...Yep "User Error!"

I love the on/off toggle... in fact this is the sole feature that convinced me to shell out the extra bucks. Wendi's bladders have this feature (with out the QD), and I was getting green with envy. My bite valves always dripped after some use, and the "Pull-valves" are annoying to operate. I am had to force myself to recognize when the valve is open versus closed though. Could be just me but when the valve is in the open position the little handle looks perfectly nested and protected from getting caught on stuff while hiking, and when closed the little handle is completely exposed and vulnerable to getting hooked on stuff. So to my mind they got that part backwards but they must have their reasons, most probably most people leave their valves open all the time. Which I am sure is evidence that they prematurely polled their evaluating team before those bite valves started leaking.

I really like the no-leak lid, it is has been the biggest problem with past bladders.

The only quirk about the baffle is that it gets in the way when hand drying the bladder. But extendable drying arms are helpful, albeit peculiar feature that I suspect will be the first thing to break.

No noticeable "Plastic" taste for all you haters out there, of course I will have to wait for warmer weather to fully evaluate that. Not sure why I would bother, as you get the same problem with the plastic bottles.
The Tree of Understanding, dazzling, straight, and simple, sprouts by the spring called Now I Get It. - Wislawa Szymborska, "Utopia"

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Feb 25 2012 1:07 pm

WilliamnWendi wrote:Could be just me but when the valve is in the open position the little handle looks perfectly nested and protected from getting caught on stuff while hiking, and when closed the little handle is completely exposed and vulnerable to getting hooked on stuff.
My Osprey bladder is just the opposite and I like having the magnet to attach the mouthpiece to so I don't have to find a place for it thus not getting the hose or mouthpiece caught on something. I didn't realize I had a open/close position until it was closed once and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get any water. :sweat:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jun 14 2013 11:41 am

my overall experience with the Antidote has been rather neutral

Last week it did leak before a hike as I didn't seat the cap properly. While I've read plenty of others having this issue it's not a deal breaker as I can get it to work if I pay attention. My biggest gripe would be the ridiculous price. After that it's no better than the old school reservoirs when it comes to freezing. The cap gets almost impossible to turn. Granted they aren't designed for freezing, a thirty dollar plastic bag oughta be bulletproof.

If I could figure out how to get some handy accessible side pockets on my REI Flash 18 ( not interested in the larger size bag with quart holders ) I'd ditch the Camelbak pack all together. After wearing the Flash I realized how low all the Camelbaks ( save bike versions ) hang low. It's almost like hanging yourself backwards. Kind of like when you buy a new car and start realizing how many are out on the road. I started noticing others wearing Camelbaks and how low they hang.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Feb 24 2014 6:38 pm

Used the 70 oz in my hydration pack (Camelback Mule) lately no problems as of yet. I do however insert the bladder in a large ziplock bag like I do with my other bladders when in use.
jk

PatrickL
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL » May 31 2014 1:07 am

Just wondering how everyone's Antidotes are holding up at this point. I had to make the switch since my old school reservoir acquired a taste I can't get rid of and I haven't had a chance to use the Antidote yet.

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » May 31 2014 7:21 am

Patrick L wrote:Just wondering how everyone's Antidotes are holding up at this point.
No longevity problems here. The only complaint I have is the bite nozzle is too hard, so I use the one I've had for years. As long as the old one does the job I'll keep using it.
CannondaleKid

Bradshaws

Post by Bradshaws » May 31 2014 7:31 am

@Patrick L I like mine better than all my reservoir bladders. The one thing that I love about the Antidote is that it stays flatter that any of my other bladders.

When I first bought it, there was an issue with it leaking at the bladder to line connector. I took it apart and lubed the seal(O rings) with food grade lubricant(DO NOT USE petroleum based lubricant on rubber Orings. It will make them swell up and will eventually destroy them). This worked for a while but I have since put silicone "o" rings in place of the rubber ones. This has stopped the leaks.

The one down side to the Antidote that I have found is that it's noisy :? No matter what I do air will build up at the top on the bladder and slosh around.

Even with these problem I plan on replacing all my other bladders with Antidotes as they wear out.
“ you know what I think?... It doesn’t matter what I think”

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » May 31 2014 10:36 am

Bradshaws wrote:When I first bought it, there was an issue with it leaking at the bladder to line connector. I took it apart and lubed the seal(O rings) with food grade lubricant... This worked for a while but I have since put silicone "o" rings in place of the rubber ones. This has stopped the leaks.
I remove the tube from the bladder after every hike and wash both out. When I'm getting ready for the next hike I wet the o-ring with water then re-insert it in the bladder before filling and so far never had any leaking issues.
Bradshaws wrote:The one down side to the Antidote that I have found is that it's noisy :? No matter what I do air will build up at the top on the bladder and slosh around.
I guess noise has never been an issue for me, but ever since my first CamelBak over 15 years ago I've followed the same sequence... Immediately after filling the bladder I hold it upside down and open the bite valve until all the air is out. While I initially did that to keep the bladder from becoming so rounded and making it hard to insert into the pack (not as much an issue with the Antidote) obviously it helped reduce the sloshing as well.
CannondaleKid

Bradshaws

Post by Bradshaws » May 31 2014 11:48 am

@CannondaleKid
I do have to admitt, I neglect the cleanliness of my hydration bladders 8-[ and yes it has burned me in the past. I had a small Gatorade fungus culture that surprised me on a long hike :yuck: That's why nothing but water goes in my packs now ;)

The military Camelbak bladder(Same as the civilian Antidote but with better fittings and much thicker bladder and a bigger price) doesn't have any of these problems but it doesn't fit as well in my packs, other than the military Camelbak pack.

But I have try most everything to stop the sloshing problem. I bleed out the air every time I fill it. I think it may be from the way I hold the mouth piece in my teeth in between drinks. I've just come to accept it :)
“ you know what I think?... It doesn’t matter what I think”

joebartels

Post by joebartels » May 31 2014 1:25 pm

No issues. Average around 20 miles a week use. Typically the reservoir outlasts the pack which seem to last about 14 months. Which is about $2 a week. Kinna ridiculous, kinna better than anything else.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Return to “Hydration & Purification”