Water treatment stories

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Water treatment stories

Post by RedRoxx44 » Jun 03 2011 5:05 am

I only carry tabs or chemicals anymore but used to use a first need filter ( still have it stored in a sealed plastic bag if I feel I need it).
Utah--downstream from rotting cow carcass---used First Need---no problems
Gila--gray water from silt from burn runoff upstream. Settled, decanted 2-3 times, Aqua Mira for drinking, boiling for use with rehydrated meal---no problems
Utah--water in the Swell, will give you the trots no matter how you treat it. Lots of heavy metals, Minimal consumption and or mix with water you've packed in.
Ca--water with lots of squigglies in it, decant, use bandana, treat with chemicals and drink it. Look at it as some protein---no problems.
Utah--couple of springs sources no treatment, pay attention to how is acquired---no problems.
Wyoming--- used chemicals but took some water from glacial melt and did not treat---no problems.
Gila--water from spring with animal poop in it---chemical treatment and no problems.

I mainly pay close attention to hand hygiene and how I treat the water and it seems to work for me. I carry some instant lemonade mix to offset taste.

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Re: Water treatment stories

Post by Nighthiker » Jun 29 2011 7:23 am

Thanks for the info, I use a cloth filter first then I may use, bleach or boil or Aqua-Pur. One of my canteens is a different color than the rest and I use this canteen to treat water with, once treated it goes into the other canteens. Have not had any problems with water that I have treated, though untreated water did cause some grief. At one time I used iodine but quite using it when started using Aqua- Pur. I purchased another brand recently but have not used it yet.
jk

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Jun 29 2011 10:07 am

household bleach is the cheapest option: sodium hypochlorite with NO scents or additives. plain ol' Clorox = 5 drops per liter, wait 30 min.
iodine: wont even kill protozoa in most areas, so it is only good against bacteria.
boiling: the old myth was that you had to boil water for 3 minutes. nonsense: you only have to bring water to a boil then let it cool as the better studies suggest.
sodium chlorite: when contacts with water, forms chlorine dioxide. it is the intense oxygen blast that kills nasties. NOT to be confused with "chlorine" which is dangerous. chlorine dioxide is what majority of water treatment plants use, and if you are older than 8 you've drank tap water, and it didnt kill you.

i mix only half a tablet of micropur with a quart of water, it has been shown in full strength to have 3 times the amount needed to purify water (as found in a city tap)

many other sources can be safe without treatment, i am not going to suggest drinking untreated water from anywhere unless you know the source is clean (like a fast flowing underground spring)
:D

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jun 29 2011 1:28 pm

All good advice.

If I anticipate a lot of sediment in the water source I carry a Sea to Summit Foldable Bucket. http://www.rei.com/product/782973/sea-t ... -10-liters I fill it up and let the sediment settle. Then I put a wicking Tee shirt over the bucket and draw my water off the top for treatment. Easier than messing with Alum to settle the sediment.

I fully endorse the handcleaning advice. I use waterless handcleanser. I carry some extra ziplock bags to isolate potential contamination.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Jun 29 2011 1:54 pm

This idea keeps floating round the back of the void in my head:

1) Drive to several trail heads on somewhat popular long distance trails, hang out and as people come out, ask for a sample of their water, and information as to where they got it, what filter, treatment, etc. Hike a few days while you're there.
2) Send the samples to a reputable lab for testing and analysis.
3) Write up the results in a newsy article.
4) Pitch it to Back Packer
5) Write off all gear and transportation expenses for a year or so of hiking.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jun 29 2011 2:19 pm

@Sredfield: Backpacker did something like that a couple years ago.

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Jun 29 2011 3:05 pm

big_load wrote:@Sredfield: Backpacker did something like that a couple years ago.
:( I should have copyrighted the idea when I had it. I don't subscribe so I missed it.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Return to “Hydration & Purification”