Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
New2hyk
City, State: scottsdale, AZ

NewB hydration question

Post by New2hyk »

Hi,
I am very new to hiking but is looking to buy atleat a 3L hydration pak/day pak gear with a reasonable price tag. With your experience :) , what would you go and buy now?
:thanx: in advance.
LindaAnn
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Re: NewB hydration question

Post by LindaAnn »

@DixieFlyer
I use the Osprey bladders as well, but I've never had problems with the valves leaking. Maybe I'm misinterpreting your comment, but all of my Osprey valves do have a shutoff by twisting the hard plastic piece just behind the mouthpiece. My kids tend to tear up their valves by either biting through them or letting dirt collect when they toss their packs on the ground; sometimes then the valve leaks if they get dirt inside, but I'm usually able to scrape enough out to stop the leak. For peace of mind, I replace my hydration bladder/tube/valve on Jan 1st of every year--that way I know it's always in good shape and I don't worry about failure in the middle of nowhere.

I generally never use plastic water bottles, I don't like the way the water tastes after it's been sitting in plastic for who knows how long (it's actually rare that I'll drink anything that comes out of a plastic container), at least in the bladder the water is only in there for a day, but I always carry a 16oz plastic bottle of water in my pack. I've given those bottles away many dozens of times over the years to hikers I encounter who have underestimated their water needs, and it's nice to know I have a spare 16oz of water tucked away for the unexpected.
Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker »

I have two hydration packs but primarily use the hydration bladder when road event cycling. I have encountered to many folks (thirst buster hikers) asking if I have any extra water so I usually have a couple of bottles of water in the pack. I still use US military canteens that I purchased from Yellow Front. Water taste great from a stainless steel canteen.
jk
AZClaimjumper
City, State: Reno, Nevada

Post by AZClaimjumper »

@DixieFlyer
Hydrapak bite valves DO HAVE a shut off valve. Simply turn it 1/4 turn counterclockwise to shut it off.
AZClaimjumper

Post by AZClaimjumper »

@chumley
To MEeee, the physical advantage of bladders is that the weight of the water is always centrally located in my backpack + the bite valve is easily accessible for frequent sips. No need to reach for much of anything.
no avatar
wildwesthikes

Post by wildwesthikes »

I run a bottle-cap of bleach with hot water through my bladder / hose / bite-valve, then run regular soapy water, rinse it and then hang it to dry.

Most bladders these days have a quick-connect hose. If yours has this, disconnect the hose and let it sit. You'll have a dry and bacteria free bag & hose in no time. I prefer a slight bleach taste over mold any day. I don't have issues with bleach taste in my water. But some people appear to be exceptionally sensitive to slightly off water taste. On hot days over 90 I put Nuun electrolyte tablets as well so that helps with the taste - 1 tablet per liter. YMMV.

I like the Osprey (Hydrapak) bladders and have had several Camelbaks and they all work fine. They are nice when you're not in a high risk environment where losing water through a leak would leave you high and dry in the heat without a fast escape route. On multi-day hikes or places where I'm really out there - esp. on a hot day, I'd use a combination of hard sided containers & bladders designed with filtering and fast storage in a pack in mind. Something like a couple of CNOC bags or an MSR Dromedary. The former are nice because they connect up with a Sawyer Squeeze filter. The latter is best if you want something truly rugged that can take a serious fall onto rocks.

The CNOC bags are no slouch with durability either, despite being TPU plastic. I've had a full one fall 15 ft onto sharp rocks in the bottom of 2nd water canyon and it bounced off these jagged rocks like it was a basketball. I was amazed.

My hard sided containers are just Smartwater bottles. 1L each with sport caps. Usually I carry a couple when not using a bladder. They're narrow & tall so they stow away nicely in pack side pockets and also connect directly to a Sawyer Squeeze in the event of a bag failure.

For more casual day hikes a little Camelback Lobo pack with a 3L Osprey rebranded Hydrapak bladder suits me fine.
AZClaimjumper

Post by AZClaimjumper »

@wildwesthikes
I'm with you all the way when it comes to always carry a means to filter water from a source. I carry the MSR Trailshot. I replaced the short 1.5' inlet tube with one that is 7' long. I merely suck on the outlet nozzle until the tube & pump are full & primed. Then I start squeezing the bulb to add water to my Hydrapak bladder. No way to cross-contaminate water when using the MSR Trailshot + with the extended inlet tube I don't have to bend down close to the water source + I can harvest water from the shallowest of water sources.
no avatar
DixieFlyer
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

Post by DixieFlyer »

@AZClaimjumper
thanks for the info...I did not know that it did that
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. -- Edward Abbey
no avatar
wildwesthikes

Post by wildwesthikes »

@AZClaimjumper
Oh funny - I had a Trailshot for about a year, but I gave up on it and went back to the Sawyer. Just couldn't get a steady flow out of the thing. Like maybe 1 in 10 times It would look like in the pictures. Tried all of MSR's backwash & seal test step but no love. Maybe I had a dud. Overall though it's a brilliant concept and it's true you can totally pull up to the shallowest seep you've ever seen and get drinkable water out of it.

What I like about the CNOC bags are that one side is a fold & slide enclosure and the other side is a threaded cap that fits a Sawyer. With the cap on you can scoop up 2L from your source in a few seconds, toss it in your pack and walk along your merry way. And then pop the cap off connect the filter and use it when you need it. I think there are pros & cons to both systems.
AZClaimjumper

Post by AZClaimjumper »

@wildwesthikes
There are two techniques MSR should have included with the instruction to the MSR Trailshot. The first is to suck water from the outlet nozzle until the bulb & tube are full instead of squeezing the bulb till your forearm is dead tired. The 2nd trick is to fully fill the bulb. Normally the bulb is only 1/2 full of water. This youtube video shows the trick of how to fully fill the bulb which then doubles the flow of water each time you squeeze the bulb: [ youtube video ]
ALMAL
City, State: GILBERT

Post by ALMAL »

@chumley And comes in even larger sizes for the extra thirsty🤷🏼‍♂️
You aren't late if you don't show up!
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

I haven't specifically checked on that Osprey, but so far every hydration system I've used will work with a Camelbak bite valve and shutoff valve.

Return to “Hydration & Purification”