Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
New2hyk
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: scottsdale, AZ

NewB hydration question

Post by New2hyk » Jan 29 2012 10:33 am

Hi,
I am very new to hiking but is looking to buy atleat a 3L hydration pak/day pak gear with a reasonable price tag. With your experience :) , what would you go and buy now?
:thanx: in advance.

WilliamnWendi
Frame-a-pelli
City, State: Phoenix, Az

Re: NewB hydration question

Post by WilliamnWendi » Feb 11 2012 7:16 pm

I needed to upgrade to a 3 Liter bladder and just tested out my new Camelbak Antidote today. Zero taste. I did fill it up once and let it sit for a day and then a refill before use. Don't know if it would have been the same without the extra steps but it is just something I do. The Antidote does have a quick disconnect for the hose that either got jarred when I fell hard on my pumpkin or simply user error but I went for a drink and was sucking air. Had to open my pack and reset the hose. Worked awesome otherwise, very happy. I still carry two extra nalgene bottles with water but I am going to replace those with plastic bottles to decrease weight.
The Tree of Understanding, dazzling, straight, and simple, sprouts by the spring called Now I Get It. - Wislawa Szymborska, "Utopia"

Heightmaster
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Whetstone, AZ

Post by Heightmaster » Oct 04 2013 7:03 am

@New2hyk
Figure out what kind of hiking you're going to be into, and gear yourself to suit your comfort and requirements. The less I have to buy the less I have to worry about while out there. I use the good old canteen and water bottles myself. Never in a hurry to get somewhere, so stopping once in a while ain't going to hurt. Everyone has their own preferences, and you'll find yours. Just get out there and enjoy the creation. How ever you need to do it, take water! If you're that new to hiking, stopping and grabbing a pack-located water bottle will likely be easy. Stay hydrated, stay aware of your surroundings and stay heels down! Happy hiking!!
Keep Your Head Up On a Swivel.

Bradshaws
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Bradshaws » Oct 04 2013 7:36 am

I just bought a Camelbak Lobo that came with the 3l Antidote. I had the same problem with air in the line and also had some small leaks at the quick disconnect. I've also notice that the water sloshes around a lot. I think all three of these problems are related to the quick disconnect. So far I'm not a fan of the antidote bladder [-( but I'm going to give it a few more trip before I go to a different bladder. Of all the hydration bladders I own I like my 3L Osprey the best, it's a little bulky and a little heavy but I've never had a problem with it. I also like the magnet in the mouth piece. The magnet is so strong you can let the bite valve drop away from your mount and it will find the chest strap magnet. No need to tuck the hose back into a clip.

I also carry 1l Evian water bottles when I'm backpacking. The opening is a little bigger and stronger than most other bottles and they fit perfectly in the bottle holders on all my packs.

Hope this helps :D
“ you know what I think?... It doesn’t matter what I think”

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Oct 04 2013 9:03 am

I like the osprey magnet and design in general but I have gone through two this year. I just bough a 3L Platypus but haven't tried it yet. It seems to get better reviews than the osprey and camelbaks.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Oct 04 2013 9:09 am

MSR bomb-proof bladders. Heavy but they won't leak, and MSR will replace them if they do.

Gatoraid bottles. Free, half the weight to Nalgene.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Oct 04 2013 2:52 pm

I've heard a few here having great luck on very old platypus (cascade designs) & MSR being replaced. Any such luck on Camelbak?
In 2011, CamelBak introduced the Got Your Bak™ Lifetime Guarantee for all reservoirs, backpacks, bottles and accessories. The Got Your Bak™ Lifetime Guarantee covers all reservoirs, backpacks, bottles and accessories from manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the product.

CamelBak will repair or replace at its discretion any manufacturing defect in these products free of charge. The Got Your Bak™ Lifetime Guarantee does not cover damage caused by normal wear and tear, accident, combat damage, improper care or cleaning, non-standard usage or negligence. Product must be purchased from an authorized CamelBak dealer.
or do they ding you on the "normal wear" part saying 2 hikes a year is normal or something
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

chumley
budding artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Oct 04 2013 3:44 pm

joe bartels wrote:or do they ding you on the "normal wear" part saying 2 hikes a year is normal or something
anything more than that is considered combat damage. ;)
smoke it

Bradshaws
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Bradshaws » Oct 07 2013 4:37 pm

I found a quick fix for my 3L Antidote bladders leaking quick disconnect. I took the connector apart, cleaned and dried it. I made sure the "O" ring moved around. Then I added just a tiny bit of "food grade lubricant" to the "O"ring, just enough to make it shiny. No leaks, No air in the drink tube and No sloshing in the bladder. :D

Grasshopper
Detailapelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Oct 07 2013 4:59 pm

Bradshaws wrote:I found a quick fix for my 3L Antidote bladders leaking quick disconnect.. Then I added just a tiny bit of "food grade lubricant" to the "O"ring, just enough to make it shiny. No leaks..
I know little about "food grade lubricants", but I do know that when I had the bright idea ](*,) on a new Camelbak Antidote Bladder to add Vaseline around the O-Ring to make for a quicker disconnect/connect back when cleaning, I learned a lesson the hard way this past May'13 on my six day Sierra Ancha Camping-Hiking trip needing to once again learn to juggle quart water bottles due to the Antidote O-Ring totally disintegrating on my hiking Day #1 :lol:
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

Bradshaws
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Bradshaws » Oct 07 2013 5:17 pm

Grasshopper wrote:I know little about "food grade lubricants"
You can get it at most outdoor stores in the meat processing areas and some grocery in the canning area. It's 2-3 dollars. I use it on hand crank meat grinder to keep it from rusting ;)

Return to “Hydration & Purification”