Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Bladder Repair

Post by outdoor_lover » Jun 09 2012 7:40 pm

I have an Osprey Hydroform Bladder, actually manufactured by Nalgene. I really like it, however, on the way home today, my pack fell over in the car and must have hit something just right and now I have a tiny pinhole almost at the very top of the Bladder. I hate to think I have to replace it for such a tiny hole, also being it's location. Any suggestions on how I can plug that puppy up? It wouldn't get much water pressure given where it is, unless I hold it upside down. It's about 1/2 inch from the top "seam"... :(
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

MtnBart01
Chipita Whirlybird
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Re: Bladder Repair

Post by MtnBart01 » Jun 09 2012 8:05 pm

@Outdoor Lover
I have platypus hydration bladders. I don't know if they still make them, but they used to have clear adhesive patches with their logo on it for those unplanned punctures. They work well. Not sure what type of plastic your bladder is. I had one on a bladder for a long time. However, they have a lifetime warranty so if you have to invest in a new one, it might be worth checking out as well. They wear out over time and when they look like they might start leaking I call them up, send them in and they send me new ones. My water filter (sawyer) also threads right on to them and pop bottle 24 oz, 2 liter, etc lids fit on them as well.
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jun 09 2012 8:24 pm

Outdoor Lover wrote:I have an Osprey Hydroform Bladder, actually manufactured by Nalgene.
Step 1 - Go online and contact Osprey by email. I have found them to have a righteous warranty. I bit through a bite valve. I returned to REI and would have gladly bought a new bite valve since I had damaged it. REI said - sorry none available contact Osprey. I contacted Osprey by email and 3 days later a new bite valve arrived - no charge - in the mail. Step 2 - let us know what happens on step 1 and if necessary the righteous power of HAZ will help you from there. If you need the bladder immediately, 1) try gorilla tape (better than duct tape), or 2) go to REI and get the stuff to try an "inside/outside" patch. Either one should get you back in action. But before you do anything, contact Osprey - just don't elaborate or over explain your story - 'nuff said?
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli

Post by outdoor_lover » Jun 09 2012 10:08 pm

Got it guys. Check with manufacturer first. This bladder is less than 6 months old, so I'm kinda sick about it. :sk: The thing that sucks about this bladder that will make it hard to "patch", is that it has like a netting fabric over the plastic, so I'm not sure that tape, or even a patch would work. I don't think that this one came with a "repair kit". The tape or patch would have a hard time adhering to the actually hole area, due to the "netting" that covers it. I can't even see the hole so it must be tiny. I was thinking about just a glob of Superglue or something waterproof that would "stick" to it and actually "plug" it at the same time.

But that's getting ahead of myself. I'll take your advice guys and go to the manufacturer first and see what happens.... :)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 10 2012 1:57 pm

I need mine repaired, too. But right now I don't have health insurance.

:D
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli

Post by outdoor_lover » Jun 10 2012 2:30 pm

You need a needle and thread Liz. You don't need stinkin health insurance for that.... :sl:

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 10 2012 2:39 pm

Hmmmmmmmmmm.........
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli

Post by outdoor_lover » Jun 10 2012 2:46 pm

azbackpackr wrote:Hmmmmmmmmmm.........
Wow! That's it? That's the best you can do? Don't even tell me that I left the queen of speech, speechless.... :sl:

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 10 2012 2:48 pm

Whatever I say it would probably be "TMI" for most people! ;)

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jun 10 2012 8:08 pm

I couldn't trust a repaired bladder, at least one that was manufactured instead of grown.

Jim_H
Climate Windchime
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Jun 10 2012 8:11 pm

big_load wrote:I couldn't trust a repaired bladder, at least one that was manufactured instead of grown.
Which type of bladder? Bile? Urine? Some other odd type?
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

SkyIslander18
Lucky Catchapelli
City, State: Small Town USA

Post by SkyIslander18 » Jun 10 2012 8:31 pm

I had my gallbladder rupture, they don't even repair those, they just take it out!

Hope this helps, Pam :D

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli

Post by outdoor_lover » Jun 10 2012 9:16 pm

@AZWaterRat
:oplz: Thanks Chad! I have filled out the "tell us what's wrong with your bladder" thingie on Osprey.com, so we'll see what happens. They said it may take a week for a reply...It's got a 1 year limited warranty and it's only 6 months old, so....

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Jun 11 2012 7:33 am

Osprey is a good company and will likely come through for you. In case they do not, or for other gear repairs I would suggest 'tenacious tape' http://www.mcnett.com/Tenacious-Tape-Re ... e-P50.aspx .
kurt

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli

Post by outdoor_lover » Jun 11 2012 11:09 am

Ha! My moment of carelessness of letting the pack fall over in the car, turned out to not be the problem at all. It really was a "defect". They notified me first thing this morning, had me cut the netting away so I could get a better picture of the hole. Turns out, someone didn't tone down the edge of the "spine" during the manufacturing process. Once I cut the netting away, there was a perfect line of "wear/abrasion" along the top where it's been making contact with that "spine" edge. Another month and I would have had about 5 holes along that line. Once I sent the new set of pictures, they got right back to me and stated that a replacement is on the way.... :y: I don't even have to ship them the old one, so I can probably use it in an emergency, or for parts.... :) Whew, really glad it wasn't me, I've always tried to be careful....

Thanks to you guys for suggestions. :kf: :thanx: Don't know why I didn't consider a warranty right off the bat. Just goes to show you how incredibly valuable this forum is.... : app :

Ya Joe, You Rock!!! :worthy:

Thoreau
Gadget Kokopelli

Post by Thoreau » Jun 11 2012 11:42 am

These days, it's easy to assume that customer service is a lost art, and forgo attempts at using the warranties we all pay for. Of course, it's always nice to see a company that bucks that trend and still provides quality service and support. A rarity for sure, and one worth supporting in return!

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli

Post by outdoor_lover » Jun 17 2012 3:05 pm

Problem solved. Osprey's customer service was phenomenal in this case. I had a brand new bladder at my house on Wednesday, 2 days after they shipped it. Very cool!!! :y:

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Jun 17 2012 5:41 pm

@Outdoor Lover
That's good news. I just bought a new Osprey with the Hyrdroform bladder. I'm typically skeptical of any bladder that isn't Camelback or Platypus.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

PLC92084
∞kopelli
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Jun 17 2012 5:56 pm

@Tough_Boots
Roger That... I LOVE my Platypus bladders! (the MSR 4L has been very good, too...). Good to hear about excellent customer service/support, though; so refreshing! :D
Last edited by PLC92084 on Jun 17 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli

Post by outdoor_lover » Jun 17 2012 6:01 pm

@Tough_Boots
I'll be interested to see how you like it. This is the first one I've ever had so I have nothing to compare it too. Even though it might be a touch "heavier", I really like all of the features of it.....

Return to “Hydration & Purification”