Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Bladder Repair

Post by outdoor_lover » Jun 09 2012 7:40 pm

I have an Osprey Hydroform Bladder, actually manufactured by Nalgene. I really like it, however, on the way home today, my pack fell over in the car and must have hit something just right and now I have a tiny pinhole almost at the very top of the Bladder. I hate to think I have to replace it for such a tiny hole, also being it's location. Any suggestions on how I can plug that puppy up? It wouldn't get much water pressure given where it is, unless I hold it upside down. It's about 1/2 inch from the top "seam"... :(
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

BobP
Cairn Reaper

Re: Bladder Repair

Post by BobP » Jun 17 2012 10:04 pm

Outdoor Lover wrote:Problem solved. Osprey's customer service was phenomenal in this case. I had a brand new bladder at my house on Wednesday, 2 days after they shipped it. Very cool!!! :y:
So the day after my solo ridgeline Motherlode....I returned my bladder(same one) to REI for a replacement. It was 2 years old and probably the same problem. I remember last year after one day Mike Armstrong(First Blind person to complete the AZT) bladder was leaking(same Osprey) and the place in Flag(can't remember the name) replaced it. They had also donated it for the cause to begin with. So good service all the way around. The new bladder I got feels a little diferent but Osprey in general is a great product all around. I've had good and bad experiences with camelbacks and other some other off brands. Never a prob with msr.
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

PatrickL
Semi Annual Kokopelli
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL » Jun 17 2012 10:19 pm

I didn't like the bite valve on Osprey's reservoir. Mine fell apart too quickly and I ended up taking it back, along with the pack it came with. It bums me out that some of Osprey's packs really only work with their bladders (my Camelbak was too bulgy to fit in the slim compartment). Loved that fancy handle when it came to filling up, though!

BobP
Cairn Reaper

Post by BobP » Jun 17 2012 10:29 pm

I really like the bite valve because unlike some others you can pinch it to fill water bottles with. I mostly use a bladder in that way so I always know how much water I have.

On a sidenote...I don't think I've ever been able to put 100 0z of liguid into any 3 liter bladder no matter what the brand.
Last edited by BobP on Jun 17 2012 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli

Post by outdoor_lover » Jun 17 2012 10:33 pm

@Patrick L
Haven't had any problem with the bite valve at all. I like the handle too, but I also like that you can shut the valve off, so no inadvertent leaking, and I really like the magnet option. Of course the wide mouth is always nice too, it's easy to dry it out. I just stuff a masking tape roll halfway in and hang it. Dries out real nice. I probably won't buy an Osprey pack, I am really happy with the Gregory and the bladder fits in it just fine.... :)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli

Post by outdoor_lover » Jun 17 2012 10:38 pm

@rlrjamy
I've tried the pinching with that valve and it works ok, but it's still easier to just pull the bite part off. It comes off really easy. And since you can shut it "off" you don't lose any water until you want to....I have found that with the handle, it's easier to "expand" the whole bladder allowing for a little more liquid, plus with the big mouth, you can add ice cubes.... :)

Nighthiker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Jul 12 2012 7:44 pm

Coworker checked his bladder (the one that goes in the hydration pack). He is not sure what was put in it other than water, but we buried it while doing landscaping this morning.
jk

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 12 2012 7:54 pm

I am a big believer in bleach solution. Bleach solution can be the solution to many problems...
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Jul 12 2012 8:12 pm

I use Gatorade in mine all the time and as long as I rinse it thoroughly as soon as I get home that's all it takes. On the occasions I forget about it for a day or two, then I'll wash it out with regular detergent and run a brush through the drink tube. Sure, eventually there's enough mold build-up and that I need to use a bleach solution, but a little bit doesn't bother me... it keeps up my immune system up to snuff.

So far this has worked great as I still have the same bladder that came with the CamelBak when I bought it over ten years ago.
CannondaleKid

Return to “Hydration & Purification”