Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Prefiltering

Post by outdoor_lover » Apr 04 2013 9:24 pm

Ok guys, talk to me about prefiltering. I'm worried about the Grand Gulch trip and the apparent failures of Water Filters up there without prefiltering. Right now I have a Katadyn Hiker Filter, but believe that somehow I'm going to have to find a way to Prefilter the Water...

So let me have your recommendations and experiences...From products you buy, to simple ways using ordinary stuff.... :)

I also plan on buying a replacement cartridge and any other parts that might fail, before I go...
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: Prefiltering

Post by big_load » Apr 04 2013 9:39 pm

The Sweetwater Siltstopper prefilter works pretty well on that water and can be used with your filter. That's what I'll be using (with my Miniworks). Another alternative is plain old coffee filters, but there's a little more fuss involved in those. A collapsible settling bucket can be handy, but those work best with plenty of sitting time.

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli

Post by outdoor_lover » Apr 04 2013 9:55 pm

@big_load
I was actually thinking about a collapsible bucket with layers of cheesecloth draped into the water, anybody tried that??? Is it feasible??? Maybe cheesecloth isn't fine enough? Although if you layered it.....Just speculating....Would it work as well as something you would "buy"???
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

big_load
You talkin' to me peli

Post by big_load » Apr 04 2013 10:45 pm

The particles are too small for even multiple layers of cheesecloth. If you want to go DIY, coffee filters are the most popular approach.

PLC92084
∞kopelli
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Apr 05 2013 6:59 am

Pam: I'll be bringing some of the Sweetwater pre-filters plus a number of Chlor-Floc packages (just in case...). Chlor-Floc is a combination flocculent/purifier; it settles particulate matter (mud, silt) in the water and purifies it. I'm still on the fence about getting an extra filter cartridge...

Edit: Guess I won't be getting a spare filter any time soon... The water Nazis in Kalifornia have deemed the MSR SweetWater filter cartridge a hazard to society and won't allow them to be delivered to residents of this fine state!! ](*,)

big_load
You talkin' to me peli

Post by big_load » Apr 05 2013 8:56 am

PLC92084 wrote:Edit: Guess I won't be getting a spare filter any time soon... The water Nazis in Kalifornia have deemed the MSR SweetWater filter cartridge a hazard to society and won't allow them to be delivered to residents of this fine state!!
It was once illegal to sell water filters in Iowa, too. Perhaps it's the same reason: state officials were concerned about people using surface water with megadoses of agricultural runoff.

I can get a cartridge if you're interested.

Also, I agree that flocculent can be handy. The stuff that really kills your filter is dust so fine that it stays in suspension much longer than larger particles.

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Apr 08 2013 12:58 pm

I have used fleece as a pre-filter with great success (pouring water through the fleece into a 2nd vessel) - it's amazing how just one pass through will clear the water immenesly.
kurt

BobP
Cairn Reaper

Post by BobP » Apr 08 2013 1:06 pm

On my Grand Gulch trip...we traded a lighter to a guy for 2 liters of his pristine water. :y: Later that day, we tried doing the bandanna pre-filter and then decided it was better to just hike out fast. If I ever do that trip again(highly doublful), I'll just do what Amuary did and carry 120 pounds of stuff for a few days.
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

Return to “Hydration & Purification”