Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
trekkin_gecko
Capra Collisopelli
City, State: phoenix, az

trail running hydration

Post by trekkin_gecko » Jun 09 2013 4:11 pm

curious as to what system all you trail runners use for hydration
i don't carry water within certain parameters, and my hike/trail run combos are about to exceed those in mileage and temperature
can't stand anything swinging or bouncing, so i usually just end up hiking if i take my camelback

PLC92084
∞kopelli
City, State: Vista, CA

Re: trail running hydration

Post by PLC92084 » Jun 10 2013 8:10 am

For runs over 5 miles or so (or if temps are higher than I'm used to...), I use a Sierra Designs hydration pack. It's 2.5L and contained in a small, lightweight pack that doesn't flop around when I'm running. I can take out the bladder and carry a 1L Gatorade bottle and some other items if needed. The only drawback is it absorbs sweat then drips (eeewww!); since I'm already sweaty, who cares!?

johnlp
Roastapelli
City, State: chandler,az

Post by johnlp » Jun 10 2013 9:24 am

Camelbak Octane works great for me. With half a bladder or less, I can barely feel it. :)
“Good people drink good beer.” Hunter S Thompson

BPAFree
Gotcardio Kokopelli
City, State: El Mirage, AZ

Post by BPAFree » Jun 10 2013 9:31 pm

http://www.geigerrig.com/hydration-packs.html

The packs are a little heavy but the bladder is what really sets them apart from anything else. Easy to clean easy to fill and no sucking involved.

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Jun 11 2013 6:39 am

BPAFree wrote:The packs are a little heavy but the bladder is what really sets them apart from anything else. Easy to clean easy to fill and no sucking involved.
You may not have to suck but in my estimation those packs do, in fact suck.

I checked them out in person last week and not only are both the pack and bladder heavier, the 'non-suck' system is just added complexity and cost. There are two hoses, one to drink from and the second hose hanging on the harness to keep the pump is close at hand. Now I didn't bother to see how much effort it took to pump it for the correct amount of pressure, but I thought why would I even need to? Frankly, if its so hard to suck fluid from a hydration tube, I wonder how one has enough energy to breathe. ;)
:M2C:
Heck, even babies have no problem sucking... just think how many babies would starve to death if they had to squeeze a pump? ;)

FYI: My 12 year old CamelBak suited me just fine until I wore holes through the bottom from sliding down too many mountains. Sure I replaced the bladder with their '1/4-turn' model a few years back, but even using watered-down Gatorade as long as I rinsed it out when I got home and dried it using the CamelBak 'hanger' I never had issues cleaning it. Every once in a blue moon I rinse it out with vinegar then wash with dish soap and I'm good.

When looking for a replacement pack my biggest priority was small pockets or pouches on the FRONT of the pack (the front when wearing it). Since I'm hiking solo at least 75% of the time I'd like to have a few things close at hand without having to remove the pack. (And, as you can see in the photos, the GeigerRig doesn't have this feature either)

I wrote directly to CamelBak 6 months ago and the response from their marketing department was they didn't see the need??! Wow, I guess they don't realize 'everybody' has a Smart(Stupid?)Phone on them to text while hiking.
Not me... guess I'm a Luddite, I'll never own one, and if I did, I definitely wouldn't have it on while hiking, I hike to get AWAY from all the hustle and bustle, not bring it along.
:M2C:

However, in fairness to CamelBak, begrudgingly I see they have near-the-front pouches on a few models now, even though they're still too small for my taste... and with mesh they would allow junk from my heavy bush-whacking into them. So I'm still looking.
CannondaleKid

MtnBart01
Chipita Whirlybird
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Jun 11 2013 10:00 am

@trekkin gecko
Rei Flash 18. 11oz accommodates my wife's 80oz camelback or my platypus 100 oz. $34.50 if you don't get it on sale. It's my regular day pack has room for a couple of layers (more important where I'm at) and is pretty comfy hiking or running. http://www.rei.com/search?query=flash+18
Last edited by MtnBart01 on Jun 11 2013 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

trekkin_gecko
Capra Collisopelli

Post by trekkin_gecko » Jun 11 2013 10:09 am

i have the flash 18 - fine for hiking, great for hauling climbing gear to the rock gym on my bike, but way too roomy for running
the geigerrig packs look too heavy and big for my needs
the octane pack contours close to the body and i think that has a waist strap, too
the smallest sierra design pack looks interesting; would have to see it
there are a lot of products out there designed for adventure racing
now i'm thinking of just a hand-held bottle or a waist pack
or stick with the nothing i have now and limit the runs if it's that hot
thanks for the input, y'all

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jun 11 2013 11:02 am

no clue for running

For Squaw/Camelback in high temps I carry the 8oz amphipod snapflask bottle frozen solid. It doesn't freeze my hand since it's something like a 1/16 of an inch thick plastic. It's not really a "hydration" solution rather fends off dry mouth and it's cold. Even in screaming hot weather it takes a half hour to melt. Easily sped up by pressing it against your neck.

From what I understand the typical healthy human body can only process a quart an hour and less when active. So drinking between laps and exchanging bottles has worked like a charm along with prehydration.

Probably not a lot of help for you other than to perhaps find a course with possible caching points.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

trekkin_gecko
Capra Collisopelli

Post by trekkin_gecko » Jun 11 2013 12:45 pm

has anyone tried this amphipod product:

http://www.amphipod.com/products/hydrat ... t-velocity

SpiderLegs
Former Brand Emphasizer
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Jul 31 2013 8:03 am

trekkin gecko wrote:has anyone tried this amphipod product:

http://www.amphipod.com/products/hydrat ... t-velocity
No, but I use something similar from Nathan: http://www.nathansports.com/hydration/w ... s/triangle

Replaced the water bottle with a Camelback Podium Chill and am able to keep my water cold for over an hour. Found this system good for runs up to about 90 minutes.

Just bought this: http://www.amphipod.com/products/hydrat ... /runlite-4 Have used it on two runs so far and pretty happy with it. With 32 oz''s I can now stretch out my runs to 120 minutes, plus the pocket for gel packs is great.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

BPAFree
Gotcardio Kokopelli
City, State: El Mirage, AZ

Post by BPAFree » Aug 01 2013 9:58 pm

I would look at Ultimate Direction gear very good quality and well thought out for long distance running. I use their vest for hiking/trail running and it is awesome.

Return to “Hydration & Purification”