What's the best GPS?

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, GPS - Admin

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
gummo
City, State: mesa

What's the best GPS?

Post by gummo » Nov 25 2011 2:34 pm

I need a GPS. I need one that uploads routes and maps. Any recommendations would be helpful. Thanks.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: What's the best GPS?

Post by chumley » Jan 08 2020 1:00 pm

@markthurman53
I always carry a 5-lb magnet in my pack. It's great fun watching fellow hikers do circles when they pass by.
Profound observer

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Jan 08 2020 2:25 pm

@RedRoxx44
On the 29th we were able to get into Toroweep. We stayed at Pipe Spring and hit the road when it was frozen at 5:30 in the morning. I do not know if we would have gotten in on a warm day, due to mud and the frozen ruts we drove through. We encountered some pretty significant snow where the road kind of goes over that higher elevation point. Drove for about 20 miles through 6-10 inches of snow maybe, but with tracks to follow. We only did the trip to help a friend get to her new job as a volunteer ranger at Toro, otherwise, I would have not even thought of it. I tried taking Katie to the glph site and the TH for Trumbell afterwards, but the snow got way to deep on the road for me and all the tracks seemed to be turning around at the same point we did. (also off topic lol, but I also found that link to be pretty solid)
Snow_Blanco.jpg

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Jan 09 2020 5:02 am

@friendofThundergod
Ya the main roads are not too bad just long long long. My first trip in it had rained and it was one friggin mudhole one after the other, getting around mt trumbull was an exercise in sliding and steering. Old timers actually like driving those road beds if they are frozen, and not too much snow. Better traction than that clay based soup. Ended up putting the Toyota in a ditch not far from the Diamond Bar Ranch and had a couple of ranch hands pull us out with a huge dodge ram. They almost got stuck too, and one guy fell on his back on the road in the mud, it was so slick.
Found one spot to pull off the road on a rock base and car camped there in the dark and rainy night. However the next day was sunny and puffy clouds so a great hike photo day!

Mountain_Rat
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by Mountain_Rat » Jan 09 2020 12:21 pm

@Jim_H
If you haven't already bought something and you're interested in trying a wearable, I would lend you my fenix 3 to try out for a bit. I wouldn't recommend it as a final solution, but I could suggest a few options if a wearable were to work out for you (ranging from ~$150 - $350).

@ShatteredArm
Re: fenix 5x accuracy -
Initially, I had satellite issues, but those have faded. I keep up on all of my updates, and I use GPS + Galileo (needs to be set for each app/activity). A year into using it now, I've been logging some pretty accurate tracks for a wearable.
Matt

RowdyandMe
City, State: Green Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Jan 11 2020 9:47 pm

Well I am looking at using Garmin as Route Scout doesn't seem to work well with Android devices.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

AZClaimjumper
City, State: Reno, Nevada

Post by AZClaimjumper » Jan 12 2020 2:58 am

I wanted a GPS with buttons to push when my hands/fingers are cold & didn't want to have to take my gloves off which you have to do with a touch screen GPS. I have & use almost weekly since 2011 a Garmin 62ST. There are later models with additional bells/whistles; the 64ST & the current version 66ST.
If something happened to my 62ST I would replace it with the 64ST because the navigation menu is the same; I wouldn't have a learning curve with an entirely different menu navigation system. I'm a creature of habit; aren't we all!
This is merely my own opinion.

Pivo

Post by Pivo » Jan 12 2020 6:05 am

AZClaimjumper wrote:didn't want to have to take my gloves off which you have to do with a touch screen GPS.
Try licking the gloved fingertip, before using a touchscreen device.

garyc57
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by garyc57 » Jan 12 2020 8:29 am

For short 2-5 hour day hikes, I use Route Scout on my Samsung Galaxy J1 (yeah, it's old, but then, so am I). Anything longer, I bring along my Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. It's got great battery life, and a couple spare AAs aren't heavy.

My only complaint about the Garmin is: when following a track, I have to go right over the waypoint, or it keeps directing me back to it, even though I may be miles past it. Route Scout doesn't have that problem. As long as one is anywhere along the track, it doesn't complain. On the flip side, Garmin provides a ETA, based on one's current speed. Useful for when communicating with family back home. Route Scout doesn't provide that. When I suggested it to Joe, someone suggested I use mental math <gasp>!

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jan 12 2020 9:33 am

Route Scout has ETA when following an imported route. Top of map shows distance in both directions. Tap that header for ETA based on very current speed.
Screenshot_20200112-095610_RouteScout.jpg
ETA Example
RS is better on iOS, Android is fine for most. Brand new old school 6s are just over a c-note on Ebay. Probably Garmins galore too. Use whatever works for you.
- joe

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Jan 12 2020 9:56 am

I have been using Route Scout on Android for years, multiple different Motorolas and now a Samsung. Never had a problem. Just got a new Galaxy 9+ a few months ago, I found I needed to download a GPS fix app to get the elevation sync corrected but it is working just fine now.

no avatar
sidhayes

Post by sidhayes » Jan 12 2020 10:59 am

None. Did not need one in the past. Do not need one now.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 12 2020 11:57 am

@sidhayes
I also use an IBM Selectric for typing my posts. :)
Profound observer

RowdyandMe
City, State: Green Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Jan 12 2020 12:41 pm

@The_Dude
What God fix app are you using?
I have a Pixel 3a and the issue I have is with AEG.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Jan 12 2020 1:35 pm

@RowdyandMe
The one I downloaded was 'GPSFix' from the Google Play store, I also was having AEG issues with the new phone. The app you basically launch and it cleaned up my issues instantly. I just recorded a track last week and no problems.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jan 12 2020 5:31 pm

@sidhayes

Well, I'm pretty much in that club. I looked at the prices today when I was at REI, and I know that statement in and of itself will invite criticism from the peanut gallery, but I found the prices of the GPS units to be very high and given the amount of time I probably would use it I am not likely to purchase one anytime soon. For years I've preferred simply to print out a route map and take it with me.

In the kofa it's more a matter of not necessarily finding the route quickly instead of getting seriously lost. I'm not too sure how much I care about getting incredibly accurate miles or AEG, anymore. A good estimate would probably be good enough.
:o

Mountain_Rat

Post by Mountain_Rat » Jan 12 2020 5:54 pm

@Jim_H
Look up the garmin fortrex 401 or 601 (not 701 though). Under $200. I could sell you a fenix 3 real cheap, but it's the wort iteration of the fenix family in my opinion. Fortrex is a pretty basic line. No maps or colors, just waypoints, tracks, compass and altimeter.
Matt

Return to “GPS & Electronic”