Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, GPS - Admin

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
tibber
Huckleberry Picapelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Erratic Screen Workaround

Post by tibber » Aug 25 2017 1:35 pm

I thot I would share this with the HAZ community. I dropped Kemosabe, my phone, after hiking Boulder Pass. I didn't get a chance to upload my route as I couldn't complete my password pattern. I PMed Joe to see if there was a way we could get the routes in case I have to replace my phone and he said I was out of luck :( . I hiked so hard to be able to create that route and Wendy didn't record it. I really didn't care about the phone at this point but I did want that route! So here is what I posted on the Motorola/Lenovo Community Forum for Pure Edition:
I am quite surprised the Moto people didn't know this when I talked with them via Messenger yesterday.
I dropped my phone. Got a hairline fracture on lower left side. Screen was now unresponsive or erratic; mostly erratic.
I could only complete half my pattern password. I could still get to the camera though and settings.

I kept trying to finish that pattern from time to time and got in a couple times. This last time I knew I had to wipe off that password requirement.
So first I changed the time lapse so that it gave me a lot more minutes before it would revert to the password screen. It took several tries too.
Second, after persistently working with an uncooperative screen I was finally able to get it to say None but it took several tries as the screen would go several different places.
Third, I needed to change the screen from portrait mode on settings to auto so that I could get it in horizontal and maybe have better luck with the screen. I finally got that.
Fourth, I did a couple of hours of Rx and found one program to see my files but that's not what I was interested in as I have everything pretty much backed up in google. So I researched some more and came across this program called Vysor which would give an exact replica of my phone :app: . I at least wanted to get ahold of these routes I had created from a backpacking trip; after all I had had hiked hard to record these routes.
Fifth, but now there was the USB debugging I had to work on before Vysor would cooperate. Once again after a few tries to get to my Developer Option and then to the actual USB debug function, I was successful.

And now, I can control my phone with Vysor and I got those routes uploaded to a website. What a delightful surprise. On Tue, I am hoping to get the screen fixed for $105. If not, I just really wanted those routes before having to get a new phone.

The folks at Motorola Messenger wanted me to post this in the Forums. However, I tried to figure out how to post a couple days ago without success and the people at Motorola Messenger couldn't help. I finally found this: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/help/faqpa ... ng#posting so hopefully those folks at Motorola Messenger can share that next time too. Otherwise, I've done this all on my own and I'm not a techie but I am determined.
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

TheMazzicMan
Logical Jingle Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Erratic Screen Workaround

Post by TheMazzicMan » Aug 25 2017 3:54 pm

tibber wrote:I really didn't care about the phone at this point but I did want that route!
Sorry to hear about your phone mishap @tibber, but glad to see someone else understands what is truly important! :lol:
Donovan Wood
Steward, Arizona Trail Passage 23c (Mazatzal Divide Tr, Barnhardt to Red Hills)

...he's got the Mazzic hands...

Return to “GPS & Electronic”