Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
Steph_and_Blake
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Need Help with inReach Explorer

Post by Steph_and_Blake » Sep 20 2017 10:48 am

Hello.

We have an inReach Explorer (not the Plus version). I have been on the phone with DeLorme/Garmin for hours recently and cannot figure out the following. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

(1) We cannot clear a track log. While in the track menu, we hit the Clear button and both "reset trip" and "reset odometer" and the device still shows 22% full. I don't know if this is a big deal or not, but I'm concerned that we'll use up all the memory on a multi-day trip.

(2) I cannot figure out how to rename a track that we just hike. I can rename waypoints and routes, but not tracks.

(3) I cannot figure out how to download only selected routes or waypoints from our computer to the device. I was told that every route and waypoint on our computer will be downloaded to the inReach every time we sync. Again, maybe this is no big deal, but I can imagine that we will eventually use up all the memory on the device. I was told that there is not a way to archive routes or waypoints on the computer.

(4) Similarly, I cannot be selective about the tracks that I export (to get them onto HAZ). When I hit export, it exports every single track/hike and then there'll all uploaded to HAZ. Then, I have to delete the irrelevant tracks one by one. Very frustrating.

Hopefully someone else out there is more knowledgeable than me or the Garmin folks about the above issues.

Thank you!!

Steph
Stephanie and Blake Barnard

Steph_and_Blake
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Re: Need Help with inReach Explorer

Post by Steph_and_Blake » Sep 22 2017 7:23 am

For those folks with an inReach GPS, we don't believe you can give a track a name on the device itself. We're sure you cannot rename a track on the computer. We simply turn on tracking when we start a hike and stop tracking when we're finished. But, on our next outing we'll see if somehow we can name a track (on the device) to make it easier to identify one hike from another other than trying to remember the date. Stay tuned...
Stephanie and Blake Barnard

Hansenaz
Ancient Dwellapelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Need Help with inReach Explorer

Post by Hansenaz » Oct 03 2017 9:37 am

Update on my experience skipping Basecamp and going HAZ to GPS then back to HAZ direct: yep, worked just fine. Could directly download "planned routes" from HAZ to GPS memory and "walked track" (called Current in Garmin gpx folder) from GPS to HAZ.

I'm thinking I still might need Basecamp for managing what I store in my (somewhat limited) GPS memory. It's convenient to be able to view tracks and waypoints on the map (Basecamp displaying GPS memory contents)....don't think I could do this file management very well by just looking at a list of named tracks/waypoints. I don't know a way HAZ could help but maybe someone else does?

Return to “GPS & Electronic”