SPOT

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, GPS - Admin

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
azhiker96
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Re: SPOT

Post by azhiker96 » Dec 05 2013 10:16 pm

Spot does have a breadcrumb option that sends a message every so often. That would allow my SO to direct SAR to a good place to look if I stopped moving and was unable to activate the help button.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
~ Mark Twain

sneakySASQUATCH
City, State: Pike National Forest, Co

Post by sneakySASQUATCH » Dec 06 2013 7:30 am

@azhiker96
Yes, if you subscribe for breadcrumbs. I'm pretty sure It sends a location every 10 minutes, but it's been awhile since I've been to the website and I don't have the subscription so it may have changed.
:o

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Dec 06 2013 7:50 am

@MtnBart01
You are correct sir. Just verified by checking my Spot track from last week
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 06 2013 12:07 pm

MtnBart01 wrote:It sends a location every 10 minutes...
In the case of the Insomnia Canyon rescue, with 7 canyoneers in their group, even if they had subscribed to that feature it's likely they weren't using it.
And when it didn't work, four of the group continued down-canyon for hours until they could get an intermittent cell signal to call for help.
CannondaleKid

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Dec 06 2013 5:35 pm

If I ever do anything it would be a sat phone. Otherwise probably not. Guess I get that from the caving I've done---nothing's gonna help you there, of an electronic nature. I know some work has been done on "Cave Radio" but last I know it was very short distance and only if the cave was basically in a thin layer of limestone or like an open direct lava tube and never got very deep.

Return to “GPS & Electronic”