SPOT

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, GPS - Admin

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
AZLOT69
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ

SPOT

Post by AZLOT69 » Dec 12 2007 5:59 pm

NEW PRODUCT- "SPOT" IS A PERSONAL SATELLITE MESSENGER. LIGHTER-CHEAPER THAN A SATELLITE PHONE OR EPERB.

JUST OUT-THIS IS THE FIRST GENERATION AND I'M SURE THEY WILL GET EVEN BETTER. i'VE TESTED IT AND VERY HAPPY SO FAR. IT WORKS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SUPERSTITIONS-FAR AWAY FROM CELL SIGNALS. BESIDES CALLING FOR SEARCH AND RESCUE YOU CAN ALERT AS MANY AS FIVE PHONES VIA TEXT MESSAGE, AND OR COMPUTERS THAT YOU ARE OK AND IT SENDS A MESSAGE WITH YOUR CURRENT GPS COORDINATES AND A LINK TO GOOGLE EARTH WHICH SHOWS EXACTLY WHERE YOU ARE AT. I HIKE ALONE OFTEN SO THIS ASSURES ME AND OTHERS.
It's best for a man to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open his mouth and remove all doubt.
--Mark Twain

Sun_Ray
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: SPOT

Post by Sun_Ray » Oct 12 2009 1:20 pm

Family must be starting to worry about my age as I understand I'm getting a SPOT as a holiday gift. Andy let us know how your works.
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!

andy_ellarby
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by andy_ellarby » Oct 19 2009 8:58 pm

Well just used it at the weekend and it worked fine - even in forest!

JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Dec 25 2009 2:33 pm

Got one of these for Christmas. Not sure how I feel about it, but I'll give it a whirl

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Dec 25 2009 5:08 pm

You can stop reading the manual Jim, there's no beer button on it ;)
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

dysfunction
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by dysfunction » Dec 25 2009 8:58 pm

In response to joe bartels:
Hey, I thought you could custom program a button now! :o
mike

"Solvitur ambulando" or maybe by brewers.

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » Dec 27 2009 2:36 pm

JamesLyding wrote:Got one of these for Christmas. Not sure how I feel about it, but I'll give it a whirl
Be sure to check if it's the 1st or 2nd gen version. The 2nd gen version apparently has some sort of power drain 'issues' that have caused a voluntary recall:

http://www.findmespot.com/exchange/

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Dec 27 2009 6:54 pm

That is interesting, I wonder if the ones sold since then are defective. I received one for Christmas, purchased a few weeks ago. I am on line with REI now trying to find out if their inventory is fixed or if they intentionally sold then knowing customers had to exchange them. The first level person could not answer it.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » Dec 28 2009 9:06 am

I wouldn't be at all surprised, although I suspect the root cause lies with the SPOT folks. Aside from not being too impressed with their billing system (there was NO way for me to enter in an activation code I had in order to extend my service after the paid portion ran out, and there's no way to tell the system you only want to renew with basic service if you had previously been subscribed to the full monty.)

The other thing is a website I was reading yesterday that has done some more in-depth reviews of the new device. (http://www.equipped.org/) Sounds, to me, like SPOT was trying to BS the reviewer into thinking a pre-production unit was the real deal.

And for added bonus, until about a week ago, I had only HEARD of the recall. Information about it was either nonexistent, or totally buried in the SPOT website. Now that it is, it reads to me like they don't even HAVE any units that are 'fixed' and ready to ship yet, or they don't even know what the resolution is going to be.

Sadly, due to the billing issues, and realizing that I had only ever used SPOT for the live tracking feature (and have no need/desire to use it going forward) I'll be hunting around for something a bit more long-term affordable. I really only need the 'oh $hit' functionality anymore, and $100/year isn't BAD, but PLBs are starting to look a little sexier for my needs. I was also rather peeved that they didn't offer ANY kind of deal for customers with the original SPOT to be able to upgrade to the new one (before I knew about the issues with the new one.) Oddly enough, I remember the email coming out announcing the new one and it even mentioned 'something special' for existing customers was supposed to show up in November. Never heard/saw anything after that email though. =(

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Dec 30 2009 8:18 am

Thoreau wrote:I wouldn't be at all surprised, although I suspect the root cause lies with the SPOT folks. Aside from not being too impressed with their billing system (there was NO way for me to enter in an activation code I had in order to extend my service after the paid portion ran out, and there's no way to tell the system you only want to renew with basic service if you had previously been subscribed to the full monty.)

The other thing is a website I was reading yesterday that has done some more in-depth reviews of the new device. (http://www.equipped.org/) Sounds, to me, like SPOT was trying to BS the reviewer into thinking a pre-production unit was the real deal.

And for added bonus, until about a week ago, I had only HEARD of the recall. Information about it was either nonexistent, or totally buried in the SPOT website. Now that it is, it reads to me like they don't even HAVE any units that are 'fixed' and ready to ship yet, or they don't even know what the resolution is going to be.

Sadly, due to the billing issues, and realizing that I had only ever used SPOT for the live tracking feature (and have no need/desire to use it going forward) I'll be hunting around for something a bit more long-term affordable. I really only need the 'oh $hit' functionality anymore, and $100/year isn't BAD, but PLBs are starting to look a little sexier for my needs. I was also rather peeved that they didn't offer ANY kind of deal for customers with the original SPOT to be able to upgrade to the new one (before I knew about the issues with the new one.) Oddly enough, I remember the email coming out announcing the new one and it even mentioned 'something special' for existing customers was supposed to show up in November. Never heard/saw anything after that email though. =(
The website sux, to be sure. However, I've had excellent luck with the SPOT staffers I've spoken with on the phone. I lost my old unit in a near-vertical-hell-hole of flesh-ripping plants last year and they hooked me up with a new one for half cost.
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

nonot

Post by nonot » Dec 30 2009 8:32 pm

Jeff MacE wrote: I lost my old unit in a near-vertical-hell-hole of flesh-ripping plants last year and they hooked me up with a new one for half cost.
Inquiring minds want to know....

Aside, when a description like this makes you want to go more, rather than less, is that a sign you have a off-trail hiking problem? :D
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows » Dec 30 2009 9:27 pm

nonot wrote:
Jeff MacE wrote: I lost my old unit in a near-vertical-hell-hole of flesh-ripping plants last year and they hooked me up with a new one for half cost.
Inquiring minds want to know....

Aside, when a description like this makes you want to go more, rather than less, is that a sign you have a off-trail hiking problem? :D
It's amazing how quickly we forget those lessons and find our way out bushwhacking once again!
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Jan 12 2010 10:38 pm

My unit is one that got recalled. Awaiting the package to send it back...

Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows » Mar 18 2010 1:40 pm

Are any other SPOT 1 users planning to upgrade to SPOT2? I hear there's a rebate right now...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » Mar 18 2010 1:56 pm

That's a tempting idea, and it's even more tempting since I just found out that I have enough of an REI dividend to cover the purchase of a new one entirely, before the rebates. At the same time, I'm kinda leaning towards the $300 PLB that REI is carrying lately.

Either way, ONE of them will be in my pack on my next camping trip. Just don't know which one yet =(

imike
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Nov 17 2010 8:34 am

I normally think my pattern of heading off off trail, wandering without plan is sort of my right, but with the current situation with GPSJoe I'm beginning to rethink some of that. Last weekend I took my first fall ever (off a vertical surface) and it included a head impact in addition to a full body slam. Luckily, no serious injury, and oddly enough there was another hiker along with me, but it could easily have been my usual solo outing, and it was up in a canyon rarely ever hiked by anyone. Critical accident is likely not far away for anyone off trail... luck of the draw?

The angst and worry a missing hiker creates for friends and family is serious. I would not advocate avoiding off trail adventures; the idea is to live fully. Accidents happen and all times come to an end... still, having a Spot along might alter the situation, and could certainly alter the impact relative to a search. In light of everything, cost does not seem a very major issue.

Can Spots auto signal out if no input has happened for a set number of hours?
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » Nov 17 2010 8:49 am

imike wrote:Can Spots auto signal out if no input has happened for a set number of hours?
Nope. I'm not aware of any PLB's that can either. The closest you could get with the SPOT is to enable the realtime tracking and have someone watching you remotely. Or just send messages out at specified intervals and tell someone that if they stop, to call for help. Only problem there is you are taking the chance that messages just don't make it for various reasons, or that the SPOT fails, and then someone is gonna be sending help out since there's no way to verify the situation (2 way.)

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Nov 17 2010 9:58 am

Thoreau wrote:Nope. I'm not aware of any PLB's that can either.
wow, even an iPhone has an app for when it's been dropped
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

paulhubbard
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by paulhubbard » Nov 17 2010 11:08 am

joe bartels wrote:wow, even an iPhone has an app for when it's been dropped
My iPod iTouch has that too. It's called "Shuffle."
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

azdesertfather
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by azdesertfather » Nov 17 2010 1:30 pm

FWIW, after my last backpack in the Mazatzals with a few other HAZers, my wife panicked again for a few hours because she hadn't heard from me. Nothing was wrong, but again she worried and begged me to get & carry a SPOT. I resist spending the money (especially the annual fee), but I've come to realize this time that it's not about me, it's about those who love me. If all it does is give them a peace of mind so they don't stress out whenever I'm out later than expected, then I need to swallow my pride and just be thankful to God that I have people who worry about me ](*,)

I just purchased a SPOT today, but at least I had some solace in the fact that I saved $70 buying it off of someone selling one still new/in the box off of eBay : app :
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

imike
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Nov 17 2010 1:35 pm

Very good point... right now, I FIND find myself continually logging on to HAZ in hopes of hearing something good about GPSJoe... if there was an active SPOT with him right now, then it would have been a very good thing.
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

Return to “GPS & Electronic”