Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
sharrack
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: phoenix, AZ

What GPS unit would you recommend?

Post by sharrack » Nov 08 2010 8:58 pm

I'm thinking I'd like to have a Nuve style GPS unit that can go from my car to my pack with a nice sized screen.
I enjoy using topomaps on my iphone but reception is always the issue.

Is there a unit that is clearly superior to the others in mapping, map quality and price?
I do a lot of driving backroads while using maps to look for mines.
Sorry........my one and only gps is a little yellow Garmin gecko!
It's time to slip into the 21st century.

Thanks ,kennyS>

JimmyLyding
Sasquatchopelli
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Re: What GPS unit would you recommend?

Post by JimmyLyding » Nov 08 2010 9:11 pm

Joe B. uses a Garmin Oregon. I love the touchscreen, and it's very easy to use.

BobP
Cairn Reaper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Nov 09 2010 7:46 am

Jim Lyding wrote:Joe B. uses a Garmin Oregon
Not anymore...Upper Woods Canyon killed it. He also hated it in direct sunlight.
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Nov 09 2010 8:25 am

Check this out: I have the 76CSx which is basically a marine version of this, and once I "learned the language" it has performed very well. And this is a great price.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... opnav=&s=1
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Nov 09 2010 9:43 am

rlrjamy wrote:Not anymore...Upper Woods Canyon killed it. He also hated it in direct sunlight.
The water seal ring around the battery compartment wasn't seated so it inhaled water :sweat:
Took my old eTrek and SporTrakCOLOR on a few hikes but lost all appeal. The ease of in field use on the Oregon is leap years ahead, hence why the other stuff is so cheap. The screen on the 400t is horrible in sunlight. I've seen several 450t and up models that don't have the sunlight issue. They do not have the same frosted layer which scratches at the drop of a feather.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

maxpower
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by maxpower » Nov 09 2010 10:47 am

joe bartels wrote:
rlrjamy wrote:Not anymore...Upper Woods Canyon killed it. He also hated it in direct sunlight.
The screen on the 400t is horrible in sunlight.
I can't recall the source, but I'd read about a tip where you can take a picture of a white background (sheet of paper perhaps), save the photo as a JPG file and then upload that file to be used as a background on the Oregon 400. Supposedly it gives a bit more contrast so that the readability in direct sunlight is somewhat improved. I can't speak from firsthand experience on this but it might be worth a shot.

DarthStiller
Lombardi Caretaker
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by DarthStiller » Nov 09 2010 11:20 am

I have a 450t and the screen is ok to read in any light. I used to have a Magellan Triton 400 that was way worse. The only drawback to the Oregon is the price. Getting something a little cheaper like the 60csx and loading all the free HAZ topo into it might be a more preferable option if you don't feel like dropping $500.

Your preference on a touch screen vs. buttons also should be considered. I never thought I would like the touchscreen, but after I got the Oregon, I prefer it so much more than the 2 previous units I had with buttons. I guess with so many people's phones having touchscreens now, that seems to be the future trend of alot of electronics.

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Nov 09 2010 11:30 am

@maxpower and in style too :)
The Stillernator wrote:I never thought I would like the touchscreen, but after I got the Oregon, I prefer it so much more than the 2 previous units I had with buttons.
Me too
Controlling the car stereo from anywhere other than the steering wheel would be painful now too
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

DarthStiller
Lombardi Caretaker

Post by DarthStiller » Nov 09 2010 12:50 pm

joe bartels wrote:Controlling the car stereo from anywhere other than the steering wheel would be painful now too
my cruise control is also on the steering wheel, so sometimes when I see a cop I panic and accidentally turn down my stereo. :oops:

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Nov 09 2010 6:56 pm

We tried out my son's new 60CSx today. Put the 1:24k chip in it, and the batteries, and fired it up. It found about 8 satellites almost instantly, waaay faster than my 76CSx. Played with it all afternoon and we're enjoying it a great deal.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

maxpower
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by maxpower » Nov 09 2010 8:01 pm

Sredfield wrote:We tried out my son's new 60CSx today. Put the 1:24k chip in it, and the batteries, and fired it up. It found about 8 satellites almost instantly, waaay faster than my 76CSx. Played with it all afternoon and we're enjoying it a great deal.
Despite my unhappy experience with a prior Garmin product, you are convincing me that this is the one I should be looking at. Plus I already have the Southwest mapping software for it. Might have to run over to Costco tomorrow.

jilmarieaz
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by jilmarieaz » Nov 09 2010 8:29 pm

I tried the etrex legend and didn't like it too hard to use and see screen for me now have the delorme pn-60 and so far love it. I'd suggest the pn-60 with spot.

paulhubbard
Harley Kokopelli

Post by paulhubbard » Nov 10 2010 6:04 am

From Amazon this morning:

Garmin GPS 60CSx Handheld GPS Navigator by Garmin
4.5 out of 5 stars See all reviews (540 customer reviews)

List Price: $535.99
Price: $198.00 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
You Save: $337.99 (63%)

In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

imike
Finger Rock Kokopelli
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Nov 10 2010 7:26 am

paulhubbard wrote:From Amazon this morning:

Garmin GPS 60CSx Handheld GPS Navigator by Garmin
4.5 out of 5 stars See all reviews (540 customer reviews)

List Price: $535.99
Price: $198.00 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
You Save: $337
That is a deal, and I'm really happy with my unit... with the electronic compass turned off I'm getting over 30 hours on my rechargeable batteries.
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

maxpower
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by maxpower » Nov 10 2010 12:04 pm

WTF is with Amazon? I looked this morning at 6 AM and this unit was $198. I decide to go to the YMCA to get my workout in, and when I come home, the Amazon price is back to $230. ](*,) Who knows how long it'll be before it goes back to $198 again. :cry:

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Nov 10 2010 12:56 pm

Even if you got your order in they probably would have canceled it. Wendy was put through the bait-n-switch tactics of Amazon too. It's amazing they are allowed to conduct business in this manner.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

imike
Finger Rock Kokopelli
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Nov 10 2010 3:40 pm

I got mine from Amazon for the $198...?? And, it came with a 1 gig card instead of the spec'd 64K... so... hit or miss?
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

paulhubbard
Harley Kokopelli

Post by paulhubbard » Nov 10 2010 4:47 pm

I ordered an extra battery for my new camera from Amazon - Didn't get it, complained, still didn't get it, complained and asked that they send a replacement, low and behold BOTH show up on the same day (they didn't charge me for the replacement). Part of me wants to let 'em know and pay for the extra - but it's a very small part. ;)
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

AZLOT69
Adventure Kokopelli
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ

Post by AZLOT69 » Nov 10 2010 5:28 pm

It's $198 online at Walmart now as well.
It's best for a man to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open his mouth and remove all doubt.
--Mark Twain

kingsnake
Mickey Mouse is a Rat!
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Mar 25 2011 3:43 pm

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I revive the corpse of this one. :bdh:

I'm a map guy. I've loved paper topographic maps since I was 6 or 7 years old. Other than navigating my way out of a possible minefield :o in Bosnia, I've always used a paper map and a magnetic compass. (Or terrain association.)

If I got a GPS, I would get it for two purposes: 1) to create new tracks to upload here, or 2) get myself back on course if I happen to wander off (like happened here, even though it did not take me long to correct myself http://hikearizona.com/TL.php?ID=57687 ). If I could view a HAZ track with a topo background, on the GPS, just like I do here on the site, that would be perfect. Bonus points if the unit can ping satellites from a backpack/pants/jacket pocket.

My main method of navigation would not change, so I do not want to spend a metric pumpkin ton of money on a unit.

Ideas?
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

Return to “GPS & Electronic”