MapDex, Mac & MapSource

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, GPS - Admin

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

MapDex, Mac & MapSource

Post by kingsnake » Dec 19 2012 3:58 pm

I assume there are at least a few Mac users out there. I currently do my Mapdex and MapSourcing on my work ... shhh! ... PC. But I have a Mac at home, and was wondering what issues I need to look out for, or even if there is a Mac version of MapSource?

Thanx

ks
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

Oregon_Hiker
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: MapDex, Mac & MapSource

Post by Oregon_Hiker » Dec 20 2012 9:22 am

Here's a link for downloading BaseCamp for either PC or Mac. Mapsource downloading from Garmin seems to be a problem, they only had an update to fix a problem when trying to view areas in northern Minnesota. I've used both. BaseCamp is more cumbersome for loading and saving files directly to your file directory because it also saves everthing in its own filing system which is inaccessable for anything but BaseCamp.

http://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Dec 20 2012 10:35 am

Oregon Hiker wrote:Mapsource downloading from Garmin seems to be a problem
FWIW, I think Mapsource is effectively obsolete. They stopped updating it in 2010. That's too bad, since I like it much better for on-road travel planning than BaseCamp.

PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Dec 20 2012 11:18 am

Loading/installing Mapsource has always been problematic if one didn't have the original software that came with the unit. There were some "hoops" users had to jump through to fake out their Windows-based PC's. I'm not sure what MAC users had to do...

Basecamp, once one gets over the belligerent interface, has some improvements over Mapsource. Basecamp's tendency to throw everything into a single database is annoying but manageable; as Oregon HIker points out, there's more "housekeeping" involved to keeps things organized and separated.

For those just getting into mapping software, Basecamp will be the entry point, if you want to go with Garmin-supplied software. Since it's free, it's probably best to start there then migrate to other applications (Nat Geo for example) if one wants more control/functionality. :M2C:

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Dec 20 2012 4:55 pm

I always thought that Mapsource was super easy and user friendly. The hack to access the full software is insanely easy, too. What exactly can't I do with Mapsource that would make me want to use something else?
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Dec 20 2012 5:19 pm

@Tough_Boots I also prefer MapSource vs Garmin's new Base Camp manager/editor. As long as you continue using your 60CSx, MapSource works fine (the software it's just no longer updated by Garmin), but if you decide to upgrade to Garmin's 60CSx replacement Model 62s, you won't be able to upload your tracks and WPs from the 62s to MapSource, they only upload via Base Camp. This was a big surprise for me when I decided to upgrade to the Garmin 62s.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 20 2012 5:33 pm

PLC92084 wrote:then migrate to other applications (Nat Geo for example) if one wants more control/functionality.
I'm not going to waste any time detailing all the issues I have with it, but suffice to say if I was still a software tester and I let it be released as it is, I would have been fired. I would not recommend Nat Geo Topo even if it was free.
:M2C: (Or was it my $45 worth I wasted)
CannondaleKid

PLC92084

Post by PLC92084 » Dec 20 2012 6:16 pm

@CannondaleKid
I knew I should have used a better example ! I don't even like the way Nat Geo's printed maps look!!

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 21 2012 6:44 am

PLC92084 wrote:I knew I should have used a better example!
;)
With that in mind... what are your thoughts on better examples?

I'm a real fan of and make extensive use of Route Manager so the only reason I ask is for something to use on my laptop when I have no Internet access (on vacation, out-of-state etc.).
CannondaleKid

gummo
City, State: mesa

Post by gummo » Dec 21 2012 9:35 am

Does anyone know where I can print or buy small black and white detailed area maps with each peak labeled as an "x" and with all the windmills and mine shafts labeled as well? I don't have a fancy GPS and Wide World of Maps didn't know what I was talking about.

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 21 2012 11:59 am

Both My Topo and Cal Topo on HAA Route Manager include x's on the majority of peaks, many including altitude as well.

Both also have quite a few mines and adits but who knows how accurate they are, whether the mines have been filled in or new ones since the info was gathered for the map.

For windmills, I have seen a few on some maps but I know of at least a dozen that are not on any maps I've found, so I'd say good luck on that.

I've downloaded old archived USGS maps from the late 1800's to early 1900's for quite a bit of Arizona that had quite a few mines marked. But being that old, I've had little luck finding even traces of them.
CannondaleKid

gummo
City, State: mesa

Post by gummo » Dec 21 2012 12:06 pm

CannondaleKid wrote:Both My Topo and Cal Topo on HAA Route Manager include x's on the majority of peaks, many including altitude as well.
What's a HAA Route Manager?

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Dec 21 2012 12:32 pm

gummo wrote:What's a HAA Route Manager?
I'm guessing Hike AArizona Route Manager.... :)
http://hikearizona.com/rm
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 21 2012 2:21 pm

HAZ... with advancing age my mind and my fingers seem to be a bit out-of-sync every once in a while.
Either that or my little finger was so weak it wouldn't reach below the A for the Z.

Oh yeah... and my eyes saw HAZ even though it displayed as HAA :D
CannondaleKid

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Dec 21 2012 4:43 pm

CannondaleKid wrote: I've downloaded old archived USGS maps from the late 1800's to early 1900's for quite a bit of Arizona that had quite a few mines marked. But being that old, I've had little luck finding even traces of them.
I always thought the topo maps were made from aerial photography but the existence of the very old ones (late 1800's to early 1900's) belies that. Anyone know how they were made before photography in airplanes?
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 21 2012 6:07 pm

Sredfield wrote:Anyone know how they were made before photography in airplanes?
Probably the hard way as in boots-on-the-ground surveying. The oldest one I just glanced at happened to be the area around Winslow and was dated 1883. It has a contour interval of 200'.
The credits for the map were listed as:
Henry Gannett, Chief Geographer (There's a wiki entry for him)
A. H. Thompson, Geographer in charge (See Diary of Almon Harris Thompson, geographer; : explorations of the Colorado River of the west and its tributaries. 1871-1875)
Triangulation by A. P. Davis
Topography by E. M. Douglas
CannondaleKid

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Jan 05 2013 7:07 pm

Lost track of this as I went on holiday, then had some personal things pop up. Thanx for all the help. Definitely don't like the idea of everything being lumped into a database, rather than being in individual files. (Screw up a file, lose only the file; screw up the database, bend over and scream ...)
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Jan 13 2013 2:46 pm

Okay, so I got BaseCamp installed okay (Mac's are great that way, as I m finding out), and I have found my Dana's Arch route on it, but it's got this really odd, and incredibly irritating :x perspective, like the map is angled away from me, rather than perfectly vertical perspective. Tried googling, finding nothing. Any idea how to get rid of that designy crud and give me a straight dan view?

New software learning curve ... :oplz: ... View -> View 2D Map Only

PLC92084

Post by PLC92084 » Jan 14 2013 7:58 am

@kingsnake
I don't have the MAC version... My Windows version (4.0.5) has two commands to reset mapviews - Ctl+N to realign North, Ctl+T to recenter at the point of interest. The only other View controls I've got is selecting 3D, 2D, a combination of the two and Map Overview (mostly useless....). Are you using 3D enabled maps? Mine are low-tech, standard Topos so I may not have the option to see 3D views...

Return to “GPS & Electronic”