Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, GPS - Admin

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
AZHiker456
Sonoran 007
City, State: Elgin, AZ

Got a Mac and have no clue how to upload my routes :(

Post by AZHiker456 » Jan 02 2016 10:12 pm

If someone can explain how to go about posting routes from a Mac I would greatly appreciate it. The app I use is MapMyHike; and on the PC, all I had to do was click on the TCX option, which would download it as a .tcx file in about 2 seconds, and I would then upload that to HAZ. When I click on the same TCX option with the Mac, it automatically downloads as a .tcx.txt file which can't be uploaded to HAZ. I played around with a few potential solutions and nothing worked. Any help would be much appreciated.
Stem cell is the poo and Dr. Tallman is a Godsend! 8)

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Got a Mac and have no clue how to upload my routes :(

Post by joebartels » Jan 02 2016 10:36 pm

.tcx is a garmin filetype, .gpx is the universal format

is .tcx the only option you have?
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 02 2016 10:55 pm

It might be as simple as changing extension on the filename. Remove the .txt from the end so it only ends in .tcx. The system will ask you to confirm that you really want it to be TCX and not TXT. Yes/confirm/agree to the warning box. Once the file is named Filename.tcx (without the extra .txt) it should upload just like it did before.

(Assuming HAZ accepts TCX files which I've never heard of before--but it sounds like you had success with them in the past so it should).
Ja vi elsker dette landet

AZHiker456
Sonoran 007

Post by AZHiker456 » Jan 03 2016 8:02 am

Guys, thanks for the suggestions.

Joe - when I first downloaded my routes from MapMyHike (on the PC), they would save as both tcx and gpx. Then just the tcx file would save. The tcx file would always upload to HAZ quick and easy without any issues whatsoever, (on my old dinosaur age PC).

With the Mac it's a different story. There are certain things / functions where the Mac is way 'over-automated' compared to the PC; and this definitely seems to be one of those situations. On the PC, I was never able to open the tcx files but after downloading them to HAZ, it worked perfectly and I could see all of the data. I'm thinking this is the reason the Mac is automatically converting them to a txt file upon Save [because it assumes the end-user won't want to save over a file type that cannot be open - i.e. the tcx].

chumley - your suggestion would work with the PC but I can't figure it out on the Mac. Even after removing the .txt part of the file name, the file type still remains a text file. There was also an option to right click and 'Download Linked File As...'. After choosing this open, it showed just .tcx........... but as soon as I clicked to proceed with the download, the Mac once again converted it to a text file.

Luckily right now my old PC is not completely 'dead'... so after waiting 20+ minutes for it to start up, I was able to use it to save and then upload my route to HAZ. But this sure is frustrating having paid and arm and a leg for the Mac and not being able to do something that my dated PC can easily do. Hopefully there is a simple fix that I'm just unaware of.

AZHiker456
Sonoran 007

Post by AZHiker456 » Jan 03 2016 8:16 am

LOL!!! So about two seconds after posting all of that ^ I finally figured it out! :) Some things are definitely not as intuitive on the Mac! Here are the steps in the event anyone else can benefit (this is assuming you've saved the tcx file, which the Mac automatically coverts to a text file upon save):

1. Right click the file and choose "Get Info"
2. On the menu that pops up, click on "Name & Extension"
3. Then remove the .txt part of the file name
4. You'll then get the following prompt: Are you sure you want to change the extension from “.txt” to “.tcx”?
5. Click "Use .tcx"

So basically what chumley was saying all along but instead of just right clicking on the file name like in PC, you have to go to the 'Get Info' section first.

I tested it by uploading to HAZ and it worked. Since I already uploaded the route yesterday from my PC, I deleted it; but the upload was definitely successful.

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jan 03 2016 8:35 am

great!

Since others are probably experiencing the same I reprogrammed it to accept .gpx.txt and such. I don't have a .tcx file but it worked with .gpx.txt and .fit.txt
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 03 2016 8:41 am

@AZHiker456
You can save the step of opening the Get Info box ... for me it's second nature, but I was just doing it on a file on my computer to explain to you, and I can see how it might not be super intuitive if you're not used to it.

Single click on the file name until it is selected. Once selected, single-click the filename text (not the icon), and the filename text will highlight for editing. You can change it to filename.tcx right there and press enter/return. You'll have to agree to the dialog warning asking if you're sure you want to change the file type to tcx. I find it quicker to do this than to open the Get Info box.

For some reason, the MacOS often interprets gps filetypes as text files (I've seen it happen with GPX and KML files too). Putting the correct extension on it fixes things.

Note that there is a preference that can be set that hides extensions from file names, so it is possible that when you save a file or are viewing your files in the Finder that you don't see the extension at all. You can still edit the filename and "add" a different extension to the end. The extension will disappear once you've renamed it, but it will have changed. You will always see the extension in the Get Info box.

There are definitely some differences between mac and win that take some getting used to. As you noticed Mac tries to automate things to make them easier for people like my parents. But you can generally get to the nitty gritty of things yourself too if you prefer to. It's generally not the default behavior though.

If you have HAZ related questions, feel free to post here. Feel free to send me a PM ... and Google usually has quick answers to OS questions too!
Ja vi elsker dette landet

AZHiker456
Sonoran 007

Post by AZHiker456 » Jan 03 2016 9:21 am

@chumley
Thank you so much for the tips!

Oddly enough, I did exactly that -
Single click on the file name until it is selected. Once selected, single-click the filename text (not the icon), and the filename text will highlight for editing. You can change it to filename.tcx right there and press enter/return.
But the dialog warning never popped up. It simply renamed the file without the .txt at the end and then proceeded to keep it as a text file. I'm guessing there may be some sort of setting I need to play with to prevent that from happening; but the few extra seconds it takes to go through the Get Info box isn't too big a deal... and is a lot faster than waiting 20+ min for the old PC to boot up! :D

Return to “GPS & Electronic”