Best paper map for sale?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
herdbull
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ / Silver Cliff, CO

Best paper map for sale?

Post by herdbull »

Looking for an old fashioned map, yepp, a paper map. one you can fold up and everything :) Sometimes it's just nice to look at the big picture all in one spot, lay it out on the table and study it.

I haven't really seen much for sale and gear/hiking stores are non-existent in AJ and surrounding communities :-k

I have a copy of "The hikers guide to the Superstition Wilderness", nice book but it has several little maps. Not quite what I'm looking for. It would be nice if it included everything from say Siphon Draw east to the Roger Trough area.

Anyone know of such a thing?
trekkin_gecko
City, State: phoenix, az

Re: Best paper map for sale?

Post by trekkin_gecko »

20201220_171133.jpg
joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels »

Tough getting out of Wide World of Maps without purchasing a necessity. However, looks like your nearest Tempe store does not carry topos.

I've never used greentrails, perhaps better?
An ol' favorite https://www.beartoothpublishing.com/pro ... ilderness/
- joe
rustyshackleford135
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by rustyshackleford135 »

Go to REI and get the national geographic topo maps. You can buy a set for the whole tonto or coconino. Theyre very detailed and waterproof! Fold up pretty small too!
SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Queen Creek, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy »

There are a few HAZer's that know the Superstitions pretty well that can draw you a map, however it is doubt full they would disclose there favorite haunts or secrets. You should begin by obtaining area topo maps and the older the better as the current ones have much removed. I gave all mine away as I got older and was unable to hike/backpack but I wish I still had them. I once had a USFS map for the Superstitions printed in the 1960's that I colored all the places I had been and hiked in the Superstitions. A friend asked me once why it was all marked up in yellow marker and I responded "well that is all the places that I have been". He responded by saying "but it is almost all yellow, what are you going to do when it is full?" Simple I said "I am going to begin using black markers".
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks
no avatar
DixieFlyer
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

Post by DixieFlyer »

What area are you looking for a map of? The Superstitions? If so, the best one that i know of is the one by Beartooth Publishing: https://www.beartoothpublishing.com/pro ... ilderness/
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. -- Edward Abbey
AugustWest
City, State: Phoenix

Post by AugustWest »

@trekkin_gecko
I'm with you on the Green Trails. I like able to see the point to point mileage for planning purposes.
Wildflower seed in the sand and wind
May the four winds blow you home again
jonathanpatt
City, State: Portal, Arizona

Post by jonathanpatt »

Green Trails doesn't field check all the data in their maps and uses inaccurate USFS GIS data for areas they don't ground truth, as well as introducing new errors into their maps in some cases, based on the ones that I've looked at in areas I'm extremely familiar with. They also try to "pay" local experts reviewing their maps with a free copy of the final map. I can't say I'm a fan.
AugustWest
City, State: Phoenix

Post by AugustWest »

@jonathanpatt
Any paper maps you do like? In my experience the mileage is close enough on the Green Trails map, but I cannot attest to perfection. The NatGeo maps don't have mileage and USGS Topos have their own issues. What options does that leave? What am I missing with regard to the question at hand?
Wildflower seed in the sand and wind
May the four winds blow you home again
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

Maps are a lot like food. A satisfying and balanced meal requires a several different courses. Sometimes one alone works ok if you're in the mood for pizza while it doesn't satisfy at all if you're thinking salad. Most importantly, everybody has different taste.
33s over 45s
The_Dude

Post by The_Dude »

The Nat Geo map for the Superstition Wilderness is pretty solid. I have it and it shows all of the pertinent info.
nonot

Post by nonot »

The beartooth map is pretty solid, so I guess that's the third vote for it so far.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!
RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 »

I print my own maps if I need to, from the old discontinued Nat Geo CD roms I have stored on my hard drive of my desk top --yes children those still exist; ( I have the discs if needed). I also have a large screen tablet with solid state hard drive with mult states loaded that is off line that I take with me in the field if needed.
herdbull

Post by herdbull »

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll have to order it. We make an occasional run up to Payson. Anyone know of a store up there that may have them on the shelf? Looks like the Green trails or Beartooth maps are exactly what I'm looking for. 1 map with a general overview of the area. Not looking for details and not looking for multiple maps.
wallyfrack
City, State: AZ

Post by wallyfrack »

The Superstition Mountain Museum used to have maps in the rear right hand corner as you walk in. I'm pretty sure I purchased my Beartooth map there a few years ago.
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

herdbull wrote: Dec 21 2020 7:03 amAnyone know of a store
Not sure there's much in Payson, but as @joebartels mentioned above, for old skool bricks n mortar shopping, you'll probably have the best luck at Wide World of Maps here in the valley.
https://maps4u.com/pages/wide-world-maps-more-locations
33s over 45s
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

nonot wrote: Dec 20 2020 11:30 pm The beartooth map is pretty solid, so I guess that's the third vote for it so far.
That's the best current available I've seen. I'm pretty sure that the two I usually carry are long out-of-print. I prefer them because the scale is not so zoomed out.
Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker »

Printing by George is located in Payson and they can print out USGS topo maps. I have a very large map collection and use a copy of a USGS topo map as a base map and use colored pencils to identify items of interest from other maps etc.
jk
herdbull

Post by herdbull »

Thank you for the help. I stopped by the museum a week or so ago and picked up the Beartooth map. It should do the trick.

Return to “Map & Navigation”