Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
bzachar
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Compasses

Post by bzachar » Oct 22 2003 8:19 pm

Hi Kids,

This came up in another hiking forum I participate in and I wanted to pass it along. Enjoy!

Bill

[ dead link removed ]
Last edited by joebartels on Jun 07 2017 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed http://www.jungletraining.com/compass_comparison.htm

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: Compasses

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 30 2018 9:50 am

@CannondaleKid
All true, but even if only at home on the kitchen table, I really enjoy the feeling of the very wide view of things, which I simply can't duplicate by scrolling this way and that on the small screen.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Mar 30 2018 10:08 am

azbackpackr wrote:I simply can't duplicate by scrolling this way and that on the small screen.
Agreed... which is why I do my planning in advance using Route Editor's fine choice of maps on a 15" screen. I first use the Topo maps to get the lay-of-the-land, then switch to Satellite for the fine-tuning. Of course, during the hike my route will change based on a visual scan of the actual terrain.

For the times we are car camping, I'll use Route Scout or US Topo on my 10" tablet and can zoom in or out at will.
CannondaleKid

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 30 2018 10:28 am

@CannondaleKid
I need to start doing more of that techy stuff, I guess. Very difficult to learn, for me. Never have tried any of it. I mostly use the GPS to record where I went so I can post it.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Mar 30 2018 11:28 am

@The_Eagle If I had minimum wage for every hour spent studying maps I could retire. Wait, I did retire. Well, you get the drift.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Return to “Map & Navigation”