Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

TOPO! to TopoUSA GPS Tip

Post by joebartels » Apr 22 2002 7:44 am

I was plotting out my route this morning.

As always I use TOPO! for plotting because it's more accurate.

But since the route I'm heading out on isn't really documented well on the internet or in books I'd really like a CLUE what the actual terrain looks like.

Yeah, you get an idea with TOPO! but TopoUSA is quicker on the eye.

So I uploaded from TOPO! to GPS then downloaded from GPS to TopoUSA

To do this.... (download from GPS to TopoUSA)
In TopoUSA
- click on the 'Navigate' tab
- click on the 'Exchange' button
- in the open white box labeled 'Route Name' type in the route EXACLTY as it is listed in your GPS device
- then click the GPS Download 'Route' button
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Fritzski
Legend Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by Fritzski » Apr 22 2002 8:34 am

That's a cool idea Joe. I had actually heard kind of the same idea on Feldman's site by some of the Dutch Hunters that like to get a 'lay of the land' so to speak. But your idea takes it to the final step of also integrating a plotted route.

joebartels
teva joe

TOPO! join procedure

Post by joebartels » Jun 17 2002 9:47 am

As the database processor at Intel always yells... RTFM
Basically, Read-The- 8O -Manual with heavy emphasis on each word

What's really irritated me about TOPO! over the years was not being able to join trails. Had I takin a minute to look it up maybe I'd have stopped talking so highly about Topo USA

--TOPO! join procedure--
It's not as easy as Topo USA but it is doable. Over the end of the route you wish to first select, when hovering, a "+" symbol appears. At this point you can right click and select "Join to Another"

Then do the same for the route you wish to join. The selection here will be called "Join to Other"

Viola
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

jeremy77777
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Post by jeremy77777 » Jun 17 2002 7:19 pm

Through the years I found that TOPO is by far the best thing out there. If you don't have it, GET IT!
Oh Be Wise, Need I Say More?
- Jeremy

Crymzon
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Crymzon » Jul 20 2002 3:15 pm

Hey I am looking out for a good GPS for purchase in the future. Is there any you guys/girls recommend that is ( I don't want to say cheap), but worth the money that is also reliable and sturdy?

no avatar
Trailbear
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Trailbear » Oct 05 2002 4:33 am

This thread is just what I've been looking for. All I need is topo software that covers all of Arizona for hike planning and documentation of alternate trail routes. Having worked with USGS 1/24,000 topos for many years, converting contour lines to mental 3D images is not very hard, so built-in software 3D capabilities would be a luxury I can live without. At present I am considering National Geographic Topo! Arizona and DeLorme Topo USA Southwest Region. I'm leaning toward Topo! so the discussion of the "connecting trails" problem was very interesting. Would owners of either/both/other product(s) let me know their reasons for buying the product (or products!) they did?

TIA,

Trailbear

BoyNhisDog
Footloose Adventurer
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by BoyNhisDog » Oct 05 2002 6:46 am

Now I have in my Topo! arsenal, AZ, NM and CO. It is addicting. More on the way.
Glen

Fritzski
Legend Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by Fritzski » Oct 05 2002 12:49 pm

I have both TOPO! and DeLorme and use the former almost exclusively for AZ hikes.

I have the Garmin Venture GPS (cheapest model with PC interface) and couldn't be happier. I routinely upload coords to GPS from TOPO! route prior to hike, then back home download any new points gathered while out back onto the map. Couldn't be slicker!

arizonaheat
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by arizonaheat » Oct 05 2002 1:45 pm

I also use TOPO! and love it.

When I go on adventourous hikes or plan on going off trail in remote areas I will print out my maps with gridlines spaced at 5 seconds. This allows you to almost exactly pinpoint your location should you become misplaced without having to use a waypointer tool with your topo map. It is instant reference, no calculating needed.

Some interesting numbers to remember:
One degree = 69.09 miles
One minute =1.15 miles
One second =101.34 feet.

It is always a good idea to carry a compass and topo map as back up, along with a waypointer tool if necessary, since your GPS could malfunction or your batteries could go dead and you forgot to bring spares :D

I love my GPS it has gotten me out of tight situations in the Superstitions and in remote areas of the Grand Canyon more than once.

Arizonaheat :sweat:

BoyNhisDog
Footloose Adventurer

Post by BoyNhisDog » Oct 05 2002 4:35 pm

arizonaheat wrote:I also use TOPO! and love it.

Some interesting numbers to remember:
One degree = 69.09 miles
One minute =1.15 miles
One second =101.34 feet.

It is always a good idea to carry a compass and topo map as back up, along with a waypointer tool if necessary:
Remember though the longitude lines converge toward the poles and a degree at the equator is not the same distance as one anywhere else. That distance is contantly changing. The latitude distances stay the same at all points.

What is a waypointer tool? Can you point me to a link of some sort? Is it a tool that measures lat longs? I have a tool called a Topo Companion that does that. I don't want to be missing something fun.
Glen

arizonaheat
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by arizonaheat » Oct 05 2002 5:19 pm

http://www.gpsscales.com/link13.html

This is the one you want for hiking and backbacking. Other links on the site tell how to use it and it comes with instructions that put you through exercises using it. This is for UTM

If you want latitude and longitude click on waypointer scale

arizonaheat
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by arizonaheat » Oct 05 2002 5:27 pm

http://www.gpsscales.com/intro.htm

Another site you may be interested in, especially chapters 2and 3.

Chapter 2 talks about using a waypointer tool.

BoyNhisDog
Footloose Adventurer

Post by BoyNhisDog » Oct 05 2002 8:46 pm

Excellent sites. Chapter 2 on the second site shows pretty much how I measure Lat Longs with a scale I found at the Topo store called the Topo Companion. We use lat/longs in our airplane gps when navigating some long flight lines not to mention just going to sites themselves in the most efficiant manner. When there is a lot of side wind it helps a lot.

I have measured and used thousands of points. When GPS first came out I didn't believe that it could work and so I measured a point and there was a building on the map. It turned out to be a barn and the GPS put us right over it. I though it was pretty spooky back then but now it is routine.

I have yet to get one to use hiking. I do like to have a map and compass though when I can. I am what you call a map junkie.
Glen

scottmackey
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by scottmackey » Oct 25 2002 8:57 am

I wish they made TOPO! (or any kind of topo software) for Macintosh. I don't have any options. :(

Mike
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Mike » Oct 25 2002 12:07 pm

Scott, maybe this page will help... http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo ... kupID=7#23

Good luck!

Nighthiker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Oct 25 2002 5:55 pm

As a mac, now iMac user I have been tempted with the mapping programs that can be used for the iMac, but I still prefer the hard copy USGS maps. The maps have gone up with no discount to $6.00.

kurthzone
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by kurthzone » Oct 25 2002 11:03 pm

Hey Teva,

It's quite apparent that I'm not the only guy buying Macs! :lol:
Blessings, Stan

NatSoup
Exploring Kokopelli

Re: TOPO! to TopoUSA GPS Tip

Post by NatSoup » Jan 31 2009 1:34 pm

There used to be a free website that would display a topo map for any area you'd want to search for. It was called TopoZone. The pages were slow to load, but it's like looking at a USGS map with features like zoom, etc. I own no topographical maps or programs, but am an avid map reader (ya, how is that? just ask). I loved to see the maps on TopoZone, but now it's a paid site called trails

Anyway, I realize this is a very old discussion & maybe nobody will see or reply to my post, but - - -

If anybody knows of a site that will allow me to look at a topo map online for free, please let me know!
Pack Well,
Natalie

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Jan 31 2009 3:04 pm

You're in luck. Topographical maps have been free on Hike Arizona for years now. Simply click on TrailDEX Map in the upper left of any page.

The initial view is "Street" view. Simply change it to "TOPO" view. This control will be in the upper right of the map.

Unfortunately the TOPO map is a USGS feed and slow due to the demand and poor structuring of government programs. A nice alternative is to switch to "Terrain" view. This is a google feed which is much faster.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

NatSoup
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by NatSoup » Jan 31 2009 5:30 pm

Oh, wow, thank you, founder: Joe Bartels ! ! !

I just recently joined this site because it seems so comprehensive & has a lot to offer, but I guess I really hit the jackpot aye?
Pack Well,
Natalie

Return to “Map & Navigation”