Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
allanalxndr
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phx, AZ

Maps/Software

Post by allanalxndr » Jul 27 2008 9:40 pm

What does everyone use to map out a trip or find trail heads? I have been trying to find some resource whether online or physical maps that would show THs and trails but haven't been able to really find anything useful. What does everyone use, where do you get em, how do you like it?

Thanks everyone.

AA

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: Maps/Software

Post by big_load » Jul 27 2008 9:54 pm

This is the place. If you can't find it here, you're unlikely to find it anywhere else. I use National Geographic TOPO! to print out maps for my trip, and Garmin City Select for car travel, but for trails and trailhead info, you can't beat HAZ.

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jul 27 2008 10:22 pm

TrailDEX Map upper left of any page, select the Hikes tab, then Find Hikes
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

allanalxndr
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phx, AZ

Post by allanalxndr » Jul 28 2008 10:27 pm

joe bartels wrote:TrailDEX Map upper left of any page, select the Hikes tab, then Find Hikes
I have used the TrailDEX in the past but haven't seen a way to show connecting trails or what trails can be used to create a loop? I guess that would be more of the question. What does everyone use to plot out a route that involves multiple trails and connectors. I am trying to plan a trip to the black river but have been unable to find a map/resource that shows what all connects and where so I can hike out a different way than in.

Thanks!

AA

azdesertfather
Peacopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by azdesertfather » Jul 28 2008 10:37 pm

allanalxndr wrote:
joe bartels wrote:TrailDEX Map upper left of any page, select the Hikes tab, then Find Hikes
I have used the TrailDEX in the past but haven't seen a way to show connecting trails or what trails can be used to create a loop? I guess that would be more of the question. What does everyone use to plot out a route that involves multiple trails and connectors. I am trying to plan a trip to the black river but have been unable to find a map/resource that shows what all connects and where so I can hike out a different way than in.

Thanks!

AA
Yeah, too bad there isn't a resource available where the HAZ website couldn't import GPS routes for all the trails.

Would also be neat to have the trails show up on the map as lines, rather than just points where the trailheads are...kind of merging that trail route GPS data into the TrailDex map. Easy to say, but not so easy to actually DO, I'm sure!!! :D
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jul 28 2008 11:02 pm

Be sure you're using TrailDEX Map not just TrailDEX. Then go to the route tab and start plotting routes.

From any hike page you can see the "Nearby Hikes" in the mid-right-panel.

There's also specific maps on site such as http://hikearizona.com/images/flashmaps/map.php?ID=8

Generally people that like to plan ahead use TOPO! to plot out hikes.
Would also be neat to have the trails show up on the map as lines
TrailDEX Map upper left of any page, select the Routes tab, then Find Routes
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

azdesertfather
Peacopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by azdesertfather » Jul 28 2008 11:09 pm

Oh i see, yeah you can for the most part accomplish that by using the Routes area of the TrailDex map, once you click on all of the trailhead dots in an area...that's cool. that helps find routes to link together for loops.

Your maps are good too, for the more popular areas where such maps are available...I use the Superstitions one most often.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Map & Navigation”