Elevation data loading in TOPO

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
azdesertfather
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Elevation data loading in TOPO

Post by azdesertfather » Nov 21 2009 8:51 pm

Hey everyone, stupid question, but I just can't figure this out. ](*,) I'm sure it's something obvious. When I load a track into TOPO! Arizona, how do I get it to fix the GPS elevation data, and tell me the AEG?

Thanks in advance! BTW, hopefully it won't make it more challenging, but I'm using the Mac version.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Elevation data loading in TOPO

Post by Grasshopper » Nov 21 2009 9:18 pm

Dave- I'm no expert in TOPO! and I do use the non-Mac version, but try this: after loading the track and viewing it on the map, put your cursor somewhere on the track and right-click your mouse and you will see a screen pop up with an option to "build profile". Click on this option and then it will should quickly build the profile, then when the track profile comes up, look down in the lower right hand corner and hopefully the calculated data for what you are looking for will appear there?
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Nov 21 2009 9:27 pm

Yes exactly what Grasshopper said.

If it's the current track in your GPS Unit then
Handhelds => Import from (GPS or .txt) Wizard => In a GPS receiver that is now connected to the PC

if it's a .gpx file then (perhaps if you downloaded a Garmin TRACK from HAZ)
Handhelds => Import from (GPS or .txt) Wizard => In a .gpx file which has waypoints, routes and/or tracks in it
then the important part is to select X track as freehand route

Do as Grasshopper mentioned. When looking at the profile click on the magnifying glass icon in the lower right. Then spread the red bars over the entire route. Your AEG is the left side Gain. You don't have to spread it out but it's nice to pin point areas too. If you have any signal loss you can right click over the route and split it two places, delete the loss area, then draw in a better connecting line.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

azdesertfather
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by azdesertfather » Nov 25 2009 9:00 pm

thanks for the advice. you helped me figure it out!!

what does that "freehand route" mean, btw?
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Nov 25 2009 9:15 pm

That's the ticket because it loads the data as a continuous line instead of individual points of data. That makes it possible to build the profile in which it will use TOPO!'s built in USGS DEM data. You can also edit out parts where there's lost signal or such and touch it up.

This also gives you the opportunity to load a true USGS DEM accurate file to HAZ. Simply right click over the freehand route and select "GPS Route". It's generally best to go with about 100 "waypoints" per mile. It may lock you out over 500 waypoints, in which you can "Change GPS Setting" to allow up to 9999.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Moovyoaz

Post by Moovyoaz » Nov 25 2009 11:32 pm

Later versions of TOPO! ability to directly import HAZ gpx files and draw them as a track line is a quick and accurate way to get trails into a .tpo file.
It's made working with HAZ gpx files a breeze. Back in the old 'Wildflower Software' days one had to import the waypoints into TOPO!, then using the mouse and the line tool, manually 'connect the dots', aka a 'freehand route'.

BTW Joe, was there a problem with the elevation data on some of the new gpx files recently? I noticed Garmin's Mapsource showed the elevation profile for Reavis 109 North at around 24000 feet. TOPO! profiles worked fine though, another reason it's the best.
A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Nov 26 2009 9:38 am

Yeah the .gdb and .trk formats read meters and the data is in feet so a good three times over. The gpx formats (track or by waypoint) should be fine. I cleared those up about a week ago. I'll put .gdb and .trk on the todo list. thx!
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Dec 22 2009 2:40 pm

The gdb elevation issues on pre-June files such as Reavis 109 North should be fixed now. They're currently being reformulated by the server now. All should be available and working in about a half hour.

In the search for a fix for this I got interested "Mapsource". Interesting to note it used to come with all Garmin GPS Units. My Oregon did not. I was told by someone you could download "Mapsource" for free. That's partially true. You can upload the update but not the original program. Personally I think it's a piece of junk having used TOPO! for so many years. Nevertheless if anybody is looking for a FREE program you can google for instructions on how to trick the update into thinking you have the original installed on Windows. The instructions are slightly confusing but they do work. Personally I'd just upload directly to HAZ otherwise you're looking at blank STREET map. I must be missing something cause seeing a route on a STREET map seems rather pointless to myself since I don't hike streets...
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

BobP

Post by BobP » Dec 22 2009 2:53 pm

You can load free AZ Topo into Mapsource...thats what I did. aa7jc sent me the link. If anyone wants it, I look for it...they recently added CA.
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Dec 22 2009 3:05 pm

no need to repost the gps file thieves link, OZ tried night and day for a week to steal all of the HAZ routes
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

BobP

Post by BobP » Dec 22 2009 3:23 pm

joe bartels wrote:OZ tried night and day for a week to steal all of the HAZ routes
In that case, I will banish it from my hard drive...I guess he's not the all powerful OZ :) .
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

Return to “Map & Navigation”