Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
hikingaz2
City, State: Mesa,Az

Route MGR to Topo USA 8.0 to Delorme PN 40

Post by hikingaz2 » Mar 19 2012 1:19 pm

Joe

I have a Delorme PN 40 and am trying to download Hikes to it, but having trouble. I thought by using MapDex it would be better then trying to draw the trails on my Topo USA 8.0. Is there a trick or maybe i'm using the wrong file extension. I'm using GPX and it does travel over to my Topo, but then i can't transfer to my hand held ????
Big fan of HAZ

hikingaz2
Bob

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: TOPO! to TopoUSA GPS Tip

Post by joebartels » Mar 19 2012 1:51 pm

Hi Bob

I'm not familiar with the Delorme products so I need some clarification.
- you can create tracks in Topo USA 8.0 then send to your PN 40
- you can send a .gpx track from HAZ to Topo USA 8.0 but can't send to your PN 40

are both of these true?
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

hikingaz2
City, State: Mesa,Az

Re: Route MGR to Topo USA 8.0 to Delorme PN 40

Post by hikingaz2 » Mar 21 2012 2:17 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I had to contact Delorme and just got the answer back. Back in business with Delorme and Topo USA 8.0. What i really would like to do is download one of your routes to my Delorme which would give us a more accurate route rather then going into Topo 8 and drawing the route then transferring to the GPS. The issue is Topo 8 will not allow transferring of a route with over 100 points. I tried your Dacite Super Loop and after i downloaded into Topo 8 i could not delete and save after i erased the way points. I down load the GPX file, noting that there is no TPX file for Delorme. Is their a way to get a TPX file or a way to download a route without all the way points ??

HAZ is the only way to go and i know Delorme can be a royal pain, any ideas or suggestions would be great

Thanks
Bob

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Route MGR to Topo USA 8.0 to Delorme PN 40

Post by joebartels » Mar 21 2012 2:26 pm

I'll look into adding .tpx

In the mean time you can reduce a track in "Route MGR"
- at the bottom of all posted GPS Routes on site is a green "Send to Route MGR" link or if it's something you created on Route MGR you are already set
- now in Route MGR looking at the map, click on a track to get the tools popup menu (Edit at the top down to Close at the bottom)
- look for the 0.001mi Reduce line
- change to 0.2 or 0.5mi
- click reduce repeatedly until the points listed in the track menu(left window) drop below 101

You'd probably have a better chance splitting an atom with a pair of tweezers and a blind fold. Later tonight I'll make a video to show you how if you don't get it.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Return to “Map & Navigation”