cookware?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
AZ_Hiker
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

cookware?

Post by AZ_Hiker » Oct 31 2003 11:31 am

I have been in AZ coming up on a year now. while being here My back has gone through a major diet. I have got just about everything as light as I can except for this two things.

cookware. and the pack itself. the pack is a big strulge for me for many reasons.. no one really makes what I want, the pack I have is ok for now so lets talk about food and cooking k.

I have a MSR pot that is big enough to hold both the canister and the 3oz msr burner. the lid gos on and the handle folds over and clamps down on the other side. everything is there.. problem is I know I can do better on weight.

I like eating a hot meal at night, if I were to stop with hot meals I would not need to carry this stuff at all. so.. what do you guys eat if you dont cook?

if I deside that I want hot meals, what kind of mess kits do you have? how much do they weigh? I like the freeze dryed food where you just add hot water.. infact all I have done is boil water as far as making meals is concerned while backbacking.

have any of you tryed that "tuna can stove" thingy?

do I need to get rid of the pocket rocket burner? its light but the canister? I seem to be carrying more fule then I need for an overnight trip which is about the longest I can get away.. also the pot is bigger then I need for boiling water. im sure all together these 3 things weigh about 3 or 4 lbs.. maybe more, I dont really know as I have never put them on a scale.

advice please!

keep in mind that im not rich:) so our budget for this in under 100 bucks k.. under way under would be good ;D

AZ_Hiker
AZ Hiker
Just because your paranoid, doesn't mean there not after you!

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Nov 05 2003 1:24 pm

.... "bring a raft......"

No reason we couldn't add a day & take a layover day someplace.....
kurt

pfredricks
City, State: Surprise, AZ

extra day

Post by pfredricks » Nov 05 2003 2:11 pm

I better bring extra creamer
"I'd feel better if we had some crampons. Oh, what the hell, let's go for it..." — Common climbing last words.

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Nov 07 2003 5:52 am

I carry one small titanium pot, freeze fried food for the hot dinner and a small cannister for my peak one stove. I am a coffee fanatic so thats a must in the am, I don't get out of my sleeping bag without it. I use a zrest/thermarest combo and a really compressible down bag. I was in utah for two weeks a while back and slept out every nite- no tent. Took a tarp and huddled under it one rainy nite. It was great as I had to carry extra water due to dry conditions and appreciated leaving the tent out. The tent I do carry is about 4 lbs and freestanding. My pack is a Jack Wolfskin, under 250.00 bucks and works for up to about a week-10days. It fits like a glove and rides like a cadillac if packed properly. I keep on trimming here and there, but the most important is good boots for your feet ( I've found dayhikers sometimes not enough support for backpacking) and packing your pack with good weight distribution.

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Nov 17 2003 8:04 am

kurt

jason olive
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Re: cookware?

Post by jason olive » Nov 20 2003 12:47 pm

In response to overrocked's reply:
1- Does anybody have a picture or link to a pepsi can stove

2- Try this coffee. At home put coffee in normal coffee filter, staple it to make a bag or pouch. At camp heat water, put water in Nalgene bottle, insert coffee bag, wrap bottle in something to keep in heat, wait 5 min, add sugar or creamer to taste. It isn't as black in color as normal but is strong and tastes great.

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Nov 20 2003 1:23 pm

These links have TONS of links to stoves that you can make yourself, not limited to just the "pop can" stoves.

( dead link removed )

And...

( dead link removed )

Especially, check the "Bill Jones" Photon stove in the 2nd link.
kurt

pfredricks
City, State: Surprise, AZ

Post by pfredricks » Nov 25 2003 3:41 pm

DId anyone build the photon stove?

I want one, but dont want to build it!

-Pete
"I'd feel better if we had some crampons. Oh, what the hell, let's go for it..." — Common climbing last words.

Return to “Cookware & Stoves”