More cookware advice needed

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
AZ_Hiker
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

More cookware advice needed

Post by AZ_Hiker » Dec 19 2003 11:23 am

hello everyone, I hope this note has found you all in good spirts, healthy and full of the seasons cheer.. Merry Christmas!!

Ok i wrote a while ago about wanting a new and lighter mess kit. I have found and bought a new stove from brasslite.com and I really like it. The plans to build the stove are on there web sight but given my time limits and such I decided just buy one..

anyway it works great is much lighter, much smaller and im very happy with it

now I need a new pot/cup to cook with.. the one i have is just to darn big for what I need.

what i would like is something that is aluminum or even titanium.. that is aobut 4 inches across and holds about 16 oz. So something that looks like a big coffee mug is what I really want..

I am suprised to find that I cant find one.. Snow peak makes a 24 oz version of what I want.. I cant seem to find a 16 ox version...

does anyone have any ideas?

thanks and again Marry Christmas to you all
AZ Hiker
Just because your paranoid, doesn't mean there not after you!

Daryl
City, State: Lake Stevens, WA

Post by Daryl » Dec 19 2003 11:33 am

Did you check the military surplus place on Main in Mesa (I forgot the name)? I doubt they'd have titanium though.
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid”
John Wayne as Sergeant John M. Stryker, USMC in “The Sands of Iwo Jima”

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

g

Post by te_wa » Dec 19 2003 11:56 am

LaRada's on Extension. Also try goodwill, I have seen small metal pots (aluminium?) that might fit your needs. I got one there that is 14.5 oz. made of light metal that is great for ramen and hot cocoa and actually fit my MSR pocket rocket like they were made for each other. I remember it was 40 cents. looks like an old fashioned coffe cup or something. To cook larger meals, however, I use the GSI hard anodized extreme cookset. Seems to be the best one out there for the money. $55
:D

mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by mttgilbert » Dec 19 2003 12:35 pm

SIERRA CUP, SIERRA CUP, SIERRA CUP

I love mine, aluminum, the handle and the rim never get hot, they make then ranging from 8 to 16 oz. It can also ce used as a frying pan, plate or double boiler (if you have two)
Cogito ergo ambulo cum sacculo
-Matt Gilbert

ghoster
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by ghoster » Dec 20 2003 9:35 am

I use a stainless steel cup with folding handles, tin foil for a lid, holds 18 ozs. Just for boiling water and then use the dried food rations, or for cocoa. Aluminum is something I have issues with after reading about some vague link to Alheimers. I don't cook in aluminum at home either. I bought the cup at Popular, for about four bucks or so. Cooking in the outdoors is great if I am car camping, but too much hassle if backpacking. Minimalist in the food area seems to work best. Hot dogs on a stick works some times also. JUst my opinion.
HavingfuninAZ

Shi
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by Shi » Dec 20 2003 7:17 pm

matt gilbert wrote:SIERRA CUP, SIERRA CUP, SIERRA CUP

I love mine, aluminum, the handle and the rim never get hot, they make then ranging from 8 to 16 oz. It can also ce used as a frying pan, plate or double boiler (if you have two)
"
Ditto! Cooking pot, hot drinks, and bowl, all in one! Mary
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children."

Ancient Indian Proverb

ADGibson
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by ADGibson » Dec 29 2003 7:56 pm

I like the hard-anodized cookware. I only take part of the set depending on what I'm doing. The large pot works for 3-4 people and the small one is for 1-2 people.

( dead link removed )

It really cooks well and is almost as nonstick and teflon but much stronger. This is one purchase that has made me real happy. The REI price is a little high. You can probably pick it up on Ebay for less.

azhiker96
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by azhiker96 » Dec 29 2003 9:12 pm

I just picked up a set of titanium with $ from Santa. ( dead link removed )

A sierra cup may have been lighter but I like to boil enough water for supper and hot tea. The set is 18 ounces which means about 8 ounces when I take just the smaller pot on solo trips and 10 ounces when I take the bigger pot on tandem adventures. It came with a mesh stuff sack and the pot makes a good food container.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
~ Mark Twain

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Dec 30 2003 9:22 am

The older models (and some of the newer models) of GAZ brand stoves came packaged with a pot/lid combo....
see: ( dead link removed ) for a sample......

OR....

As part of its $5.00 mess kit, Coleman includes a 16 oz. pot w/lid..... ( dead link removed )
kurt

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Dec 30 2003 11:12 am

Couple more ideas...

GSI 16oz. S/S Mug - $3.84 ( dead link removed )

AND/OR.....
This $ 1.92 one holds 18oz. ( dead link removed )

This pot is $6.95 , but holds 24oz. - lighter than the MSR Titanium Kettle, and $30.00+ less expensive... ( dead link removed )

Or The 12.8 oz. Evernew mug (but at $16.00, seems kinda rich)
( dead link removed )

Man, if you don't get "analysis-paralysis" from THIS, you're immune.
kurt

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Dec 31 2003 7:55 am

US Army mess kit, canteen cup and M404 cook set, all stainless steel. Paid less than $ 10.00 in the 1970's for everthing.

Return to “Cookware & Stoves”