Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
tracker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Titanium Cooking Gear

Post by tracker » Oct 09 2002 12:51 pm

Greetings,

I was thinking about asking for a titanium teapot or cooking set for Christmas. Anybody have any Pro's or Con's on Titanium. I will be using a Peak 1 Stove.

:roll:

BoyNhisDog
Footloose Adventurer
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by BoyNhisDog » Oct 09 2002 1:42 pm

It's good stuff. It's durable and weighs very little. I have been using a Quart plus Snow Peak titanium pot for some time now and really like it. There is nothing like a good cup of tea out there in the wild. That's living! Enjoy.
Glen

nealz
HAZ-Special!
City, State: Alpine, AZ

Post by nealz » Oct 09 2002 2:40 pm

I'm with BoyNhisDog on this too. I've been using the Snowpeak mini combo
http://www.snowpeak.com/gear/scs004t.html and and it's near perfect. The stove and gas canister fit right inside and I can stuff extra matches, a Ti 'spork' and some extra aluminum foil in it too. I wish it were a tad less spendy, but put it on your Santa gear list this year.

-Nealz

tracker
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by tracker » Oct 09 2002 2:53 pm

Does the titanium heat faster then Aluminum or stainless steel? What about food taste? Any leeching?

Regards
Tracker

Lizard
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Lizard » Oct 09 2002 2:58 pm

I use an Evernew .9 liter titanium pot and I am satisfied with it. However, if I were going to do it over I would not shell out the $40 again. At Wal-Mart they sell this little grease pot by Mirro. It is aluminum, perfectly sized for a one-man pot, and weighs less than the equivalent titanium pot. It also cost only $5 or so. If all you are looking for is a simple pot for one person, you might consider that.
"Of course we weren't lost. We were merely where we shouldn't have been, without knowing exactly where that was."

tracker
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by tracker » Oct 09 2002 3:09 pm

Is that "Mirro" pot in the camping section or the household goods?

nealz
HAZ-Special!
City, State: Alpine, AZ

Post by nealz » Oct 09 2002 3:20 pm

tracker wrote:Does the titanium heat faster then Aluminum or stainless steel? What about food taste? Any leeching?
I'd say it heats and conducts about the same as Al and probably quicker than stainless. No funky metallic aftertaste either. Ti's biggest virtue is weight not price, so Lizard's advice is good too.

On a semi-related sidebar... Scandium, according to restaurant industry resources, is the next big thing in commercial cookware. From what little I know about it, it's lighter than Ti and conducts better than Al. I believe it's also made from reclaimed uranium energy waste. Yikes! Could be the world's first self-heating pots and pans! :o

-Nealz

tracker
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by tracker » Oct 09 2002 3:32 pm

Self-heating? Now wouldnt that be awesome!

Lizard
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Lizard » Oct 09 2002 3:37 pm

The grease pot is found with household goods, not camping gear. Here is a photo of what it looks like (in the photo on the lower left):

http://home.adelphia.net/~dstier/stove/stove2.html
"Of course we weren't lost. We were merely where we shouldn't have been, without knowing exactly where that was."

Nighthiker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Oct 09 2002 5:30 pm

I utilize military surplus, I use the canteen cup to prepare hot cocoa and oatmeal. I also have a WWI and WWII mess kit for meals. I also use the Snowpeak giga stove for cooking

Sande J
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Sande J » Oct 09 2002 9:56 pm

Wal Mart is the king of alternatives. GO USA...spend less, get more...just like the work force.

tracker
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by tracker » Oct 10 2002 8:23 am

I've tried alternatives like military messkits, old alum. pot and small fry pans. I just can't seem to get the right combo. I really think I'm going to take a look at the Grease Pot thingy and make a go of that. I once knew a guy that brought a small fry pan (Walmart) and a tall alum. pot thingy from an old ice cream maker. It worked perfectly. I sure wish I could find an old ice cream maker! :lol:

Wiz
Gun-totin' kokopelli

Post by Wiz » Oct 10 2002 10:23 am

One thing to keep in mind is that aluminum cookware leeches into the food, and continued long-term intake has been shown to contribute to some awful thing, I think it's alzheimers disease. I use a little stainless pot and don't worry about it. One pot is all you need if you eat that dehydrated stuff from a bag.
"The older I get, the better I was."

tracker
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by tracker » Oct 10 2002 10:40 am

I think that what I need to accomplish my cooking gear goals. A nice small, simple pot to cook in. Someday I'll find it :roll:

Nighthiker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Oct 10 2002 2:09 pm

Popular outdoors has two sizes of stainless steel cook pots by MSR.
jk

tracker
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by tracker » Oct 10 2002 2:13 pm

Yeah, I've seen those. I think I'm going to check out walmart and kmart for some cheaper stuff.

I really want the titanium, but the price may be out of my reach for a while.

Lizard
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Lizard » Oct 10 2002 2:37 pm

There is no real proof that eating/cooking with aluminum causes Alzheimer's. There was one (1) study done that showed a link between Alzheimer's and raised levels of aluminum in the brain. But as they say, correlation =/ causation.

ck_1
The OUTSIDE guy
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by ck_1 » Oct 10 2002 3:34 pm

2 cents worth....

I picked up a GSI Teflon Bugaboo cookset http://www.rei.com/online/store/Product ... &langId=-1 at a B-93 sale at REI about 2 years ago.

When car camping I take the whole thing...backpacking, I take the middle size (1.5 qt) pot and lid...they work great together with the whisperlite. The whole set retails for around $50, but I picked the up for under $10.

REI is having another B-93 sale the weekend of the 19th I think...though now they call it a Garage Sale...if I were in the market, I'd check their sale first...[/u]
'The Journey is the Destination!'

tracker
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by tracker » Oct 10 2002 3:41 pm

Cool. I've heard of those B-93 sales. Good deals. I may check that out on the 19th.

Wiz
Gun-totin' kokopelli

Post by Wiz » Oct 11 2002 6:16 am

Lizard wrote:There is no real proof that eating/cooking with aluminum causes Alzheimer's. There was one (1) study done that showed a link between Alzheimer's and raised levels of aluminum in the brain. But as they say, correlation =/ causation.
How many studies are needed?
"The older I get, the better I was."

Return to “Cookware & Stoves”