Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
tracker
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Titanium Cooking Gear

Post by tracker » Oct 09 2002 12:51 pm

Greetings,

I was thinking about asking for a titanium teapot or cooking set for Christmas. Anybody have any Pro's or Con's on Titanium. I will be using a Peak 1 Stove.

:roll:

Wiz
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Wiz » Oct 11 2002 6:20 am

ck1 wrote: I picked up a GSI Teflon Bugaboo cookset...
I hate to sound like Chicken Little, but teflon is supposedly another really nasty thing to have flaking off into your food. I'd hate to find out the hard way that these concerns are all justified.
Of course, if they find out that stainless steel causes cancer I guess I'm done for.
"The older I get, the better I was."

BoyNhisDog
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by BoyNhisDog » Oct 11 2002 12:33 pm

Wiz, dying's easy, it's the living that's hard. :D

Studies can be flawed. Period. One study does not prove anything. The folks performing the study can acutally become biased and knowingly or unknowingly cause the results to bend. It happens all the time.

Now where did I leave my notes on this. I seem to be forgetting something. :D
Glen

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Oct 11 2002 1:45 pm

BoyNhisDog wrote:
Studies can be flawed. Period. One study does not prove anything.
Too true. But one study proves more than no studies. I think. All I'm trying to say is... uh... umm..

Lizard

Post by Lizard » Oct 11 2002 2:07 pm

Hi Wiz,

The problem is that the study was correlational. It is impossible to prove causation with a study like this. All they can do is say "these two phenomena are linked somehow." It could be that Alzheimer's causes levels of aluminum to rise, rather than vice versa. Or there could be a third variable that causes both Alzheimer's AND raised aluminum levels. The only way to prove that one thing causes another is through an experimental study. This would mean giving people aluminum and seeing if they develop Alzheimer's. Since this would be unethical, there really is no way to prove that cooking on aluminum causes Alzheimer's. Frankly I have my doubts.

Chris
"Of course we weren't lost. We were merely where we shouldn't have been, without knowing exactly where that was."

Randy
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

I forget....

Post by Randy » Oct 11 2002 4:53 pm

Good point Lizard. I've been using coated aluminum MSR pots for some time. Maybe the cause of Alzheimers is really eating too much Mountain House Stroganoff with water boiled in,.... ah,.... er, ....I forget.....-R

Snick33

Post by Snick33 » Oct 11 2002 5:36 pm

Correlational, I love that word, if more people who believe in conspiracies would understand the word we would all be better off. The classic example is the study that stated that people who drink red wine in moderation, tended to have less heart attacks, ergo the theory that red wine somehow prevented heart attacks. This turned out to be bad science. We now now, that in fact, people who drink red wine, as opposed to white wine and or beer or whiskey tend to take better care of themselves and tend to have a diet lower in saturated fats and in general eat better.

While I'm on my soap box; just because we don't understand something, doesn't mean it's caused by extraterrestrials or some mystical force. Maybe we just don't understand it!
Mother nature seems to like humans, and not just because they taste like chicken

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Oct 12 2002 5:40 am

Lizard wrote:...there really is no way to prove that cooking on aluminum causes Alzheimer's. Frankly I have my doubts.
Bon appetite!

Snick: everything we don't understand is so caused by extraterrestrials! They're in collusion with the government, you know. The only reason we haven't all been subjugated into mindless slaves yet (that we know of) is that they're too busy making crop circles. Why, don't you know there's a huge underground alien base in the Superstitions? :o (<-- actual photo of alien in Superstitions).

Tsk! To think I'm consorting with such uninformed people!

evenstarx3
City, State: Sun City West, AZ from CA

Post by evenstarx3 » Oct 12 2002 6:56 am

Wiz wrote: Snick: everything we don't understand is so caused by extraterrestrials!
That's right :!: It's all Olesma and GTG's fault...all ya gotta do is look at them and you can tell their from some other planet :twisted:
Hooli, aka Trihairopelli
http://members.tripod.com/~evenstar/
http://www.arizonahikers.com/
"They say the dog is man's best friend.
I don't believe that. How many of your friends have you neutered?"
--Larry Reeb

Snick33

Post by Snick33 » Oct 12 2002 7:10 am

Wiz,

What was that crack about my uniform? I've never been so insulted in my whole life. Wait a minute, let me re-read that . . . . . . . . . . . never mind . . . . . . . .
Mother nature seems to like humans, and not just because they taste like chicken

GTG_AZH
City, State: Peoria, AZ - Originally from Rocket City USA

Post by GTG_AZH » Oct 12 2002 8:21 am

Snick33 wrote:Wiz,

What was that crack about my uniform? I've never been so insulted in my whole life. Wait a minute, let me re-read that . . . . . . . . . . . never mind . . . . . . . .
Wiz, in case you didn't know by now, you gotta keep your eye on this Snick33 character. All conversations lead back to his clothes. :wink:

GTG
The boy from Rocket City USA
'Alright now look over here and smile! and pretend like you're having a good time!'

evenstarx3

Post by evenstarx3 » Oct 12 2002 9:07 am

GTG wrote: Wiz, in case you didn't know by now, you gotta keep your eye on this Snick33 character. All conversations lead back to his clothes. :wink:
Or lack thereof :rollH:
Hooli, aka Trihairopelli
--Larry Reeb

BoyNhisDog
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by BoyNhisDog » Oct 12 2002 10:24 am

Wiz wrote: Why, don't you know there's a huge underground alien base in the Superstitions? Tsk! To think I'm consorting with such uninformed people!
I knew that. I didn't want to alarm some of our more skittish members. They are holding Elvis there until the time is right to make their presence known. He will be their spokesman. In the meantime they are pushing aluminum cookware so we can be more easily fooled into following them later.
Glen

tracker
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by tracker » Oct 13 2002 7:21 am

Wow, I guess when I started this tread I didnt know where it was going. People's clothes, alziemers, and ET! Wow, what a forum :lol:

evenstarx3

Post by evenstarx3 » Oct 13 2002 8:44 am

BoyNhisDog wrote: They are holding Elvis there until the time is right to make their presence known.
Think they're holding teva joe too :roll:
Hooli, aka Trihairopelli
--Larry Reeb

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Oct 13 2002 8:52 am

I'm right here :o

we know cut back to our regular programming

Titanium Cooking Gear :)
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Oct 13 2002 11:45 am

evenstarx3 wrote:
GTG wrote: Wiz, in case you didn't know by now, you gotta keep your eye on this Snick33 character. All conversations lead back to his clothes. :wink:
Or lack thereof :rollH:
I'm afraid to ask!

Snick33

Post by Snick33 » Oct 13 2002 12:05 pm

Wow,

You hike naked a couple of times and right away people put you in a trick bag.

rushthezeppelin
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re:

Post by rushthezeppelin » Dec 10 2008 3:46 pm

Wiz wrote:
Lizard wrote:...there really is no way to prove that cooking on aluminum causes Alzheimer's. Frankly I have my doubts.
Bon appetite!

Snick: everything we don't understand is so caused by extraterrestrials! They're in collusion with the government, you know. The only reason we haven't all been subjugated into mindless slaves yet (that we know of) is that they're too busy making crop circles. Why, don't you know there's a huge underground alien base in the Superstitions? :o (<-- actual photo of alien in Superstitions).

Tsk! To think I'm consorting with such uninformed people!
Funny enough I was really bored one night and surfed around the internet. Ended up finding a few resources talking about a massive network of tunnel systems crisscrossing the western US and one of the big entrances is supposed to be in the superstitions. 99.99999% Chance it's BS though as you think somebody from this site would have happened upon it by now : P

Return to “Cookware & Stoves”