Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
nimrag
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: phoenix

Biotite stove

Post by nimrag » Sep 07 2012 10:07 am

I have had mine a little over a month. It works as good as my jetboil, but it doesn't need any special fuel. It can also charge USB devices. It converts the heat into electricity.

Just thought I would share.

http://biolitestove.com/

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Biotite stove

Post by Alston_Neal » Sep 07 2012 10:20 am

Pretty cool there nimraggarmin.... 8)
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

desertgirl
Bika pelli
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by desertgirl » Sep 07 2012 2:48 pm

Looks pretty nifty. Will this work with our no wood fire restrictions that we seem to have so often ?

Thoreau
Gadget Kokopelli

Post by Thoreau » Sep 07 2012 4:12 pm

Kurt will still race ya with his Volcano =)

Oh, and stalker!

nimrag
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by nimrag » Sep 07 2012 6:32 pm

I have a volcano, also. It works very well. This is just a more mobile option.

I saw your name on the smart car forums, talking with your buddy, packsmart, but I wasn't going to say anything about that :o

nimrag
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by nimrag » Sep 07 2012 6:33 pm

desertgirl wrote:Looks pretty nifty. Will this work with our no wood fire restrictions that we seem to have so often ?
Probably not, they usually only allow gas during the restrictions

Thoreau
Gadget Kokopelli

Post by Thoreau » Sep 08 2012 12:41 am

nimrag wrote:I have a volcano, also. It works very well. This is just a more mobile option.

I saw your name on the smart car forums, talking with your buddy, packsmart, but I wasn't going to say anything about that :o
Bwhahahaha, only time I was on the smart car forums was to try registering the username "Pack-Stupid". They declined me =(

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie

Post by Alston_Neal » Sep 08 2012 11:33 am

Would that be the same Packsmart on the AZFJ forum?
You know, the one that made all the friends....... :sl:
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

nimrag
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by nimrag » Sep 08 2012 1:04 pm

Alston Neal wrote:Would that be the same Packsmart on the AZFJ forum?
You know, the one that made all the friends....... :sl:

That's the one.

paulshikleejr
Mick Dowelopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by paulshikleejr » Nov 26 2012 9:56 am

I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while. Is this sold only via their Web site? How was the fulfillment via the channel you used? How is it compared to a "normal" stove (e.g., an MSR WhisperLite)?
Decisionmaking and action should only be informed by, not subject to, healthy, reasonable concern.
That being said, anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Nov 26 2012 11:57 am

It looks like you have to order directly from them. It seems like a cool gimmick but I don't get the real point. If having your phone charged is that important to you, you might try a solar charger. The biolite is 2 lbs. before you factor in your pots-- my cookset, fuel, and stove together are under 2 lbs and smaller than this thing. I also wonder whether it can take a beating? My stove stays protected inside my cookset. In the event that my cookset gets bent or dented, I just have to find a nice guy like Chumley to hammer it out. :D If there's a short somewhere in the biolite, you're screwed.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

MtnBart01
Chipita Whirlybird
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Nov 26 2012 7:08 pm

My dad was asking me about stoves because he wanted something lighter than his Sierra Zip Stove which is basically, the Biotite w/out the charging capability, for his summer biking trip of the Lewis and Clark trail adventure. I did some searching and found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pajkt594Ruw
I got my wife to face book her cat lover friends to donate fancy feast cans (sorry cat lovers I'm not a fan) and within a couple of days had 3. Made a couple and tested one in the front yard and was impressed how well it worked. Takes denatured alcohol (readily available) and is pretty efficient with no moving parts. Takes 5-7 minutes to boil water, but takes less time to set up and get going than my jetboil. http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=294822 http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=294823
I agree with Kyle the Heartless (tough_boots) a solar charger and/or even a battery booster ie.
http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Generation ... ikearizona
I have one of the above batteries I bought as a back up for hurricane Isaac and it will charge my phone at least 3 times before I need to charge it. I would consider this, as it is minimal in weight, for a week long back pack trip since I have Kindle on my phone and like to read. It also has a mini usb port as well as the usb so I can use it as a back up for my gps and camera batteries as well. With my pot, a weeks worth of fuel, the cat tin stove, and my battery back up it still would be less than half the weight of the biotite stove. The battery back up and my titanium cook pot cost quite a bit less as well.
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

WilliamnWendi
Frame-a-pelli
City, State: Phoenix, Az

Post by WilliamnWendi » Feb 05 2014 12:56 pm

I just heard about the Biolite on thee King's Canyon Outdoors Podcast. Has anyone (Nimrag) had a chance to develop an opinion yet. I already have both a solar charger and msr gas stove but still see the advantage of having something not dependant on the sun.
The Tree of Understanding, dazzling, straight, and simple, sprouts by the spring called Now I Get It. - Wislawa Szymborska, "Utopia"

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Feb 05 2014 1:06 pm

It depends on your application. It's big and heavy, so not great for backpacking.

Return to “Cookware & Stoves”