Backpacking Stoves.

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

Backpacking Stoves.

Post by mttgilbert » Apr 22 2003 3:20 pm

In honor of the new LNT links and due to my general interest, I'd like to hear what sort of campstoves everyone uses. And since summer is almost upon us I would like to encourage everyone to ditch the ol' campfire and pick up a stove if you haven't already.

I have always used white gas or solid fuel stoves. My favorite is an old Primus Optimus. Recently I found a Bluet and a Peak One Apex Two at a garage sale. I have tested them out in my kitchen but I would like to know more about these types of stoves and how efficient they are in the wilderness. Especially the peak one. It used a tremendous amount of fuel, more than I thought it should. Is this just how they work or am I doing something wrong

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Aug 17 2003 1:46 pm

I use the snow peak giga stove. Very compact design and works great. Fuel cylinders come in two sizes and I also write the burn time on a piece of tape on the bottom of the fuel cylinder.
jk

fairweather8588
City, State: Scottsdale

Post by fairweather8588 » Aug 17 2003 6:32 pm

whisperlite (not shaker jet) off ebay for 20 bucks. also got 2 22oz fuel bottles for 10 bucks
No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength

Kerouac

scottmackey
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by scottmackey » Aug 18 2003 7:25 am

fairweather8588 wrote:whisperlite (not shaker jet) off ebay for 20 bucks.
That's a pretty good price! I have a WhisperLite as well and I think it works great .. no problems at all. I would probably go with a white gas stove if I had to do it over again, just because I feel bad throwing out the old canisters each time I use them up. But from what I've seen, you really can't go wrong with an MSR stove.

beterarcher
City, State: phoenix, az

Re: Backpacking Stoves.

Post by beterarcher » Jun 26 2013 5:07 pm

Does anybody know where I can download an owner's manual for a Peak1 Apex II backpack stove? I picked one up for $25, right after I spent $20 on a Camping GAZ single that takes the punctureable cartridge. Boy do I feel STUPID! I cant find fuel for it anywhere in North America and shipping from Europe is completely out of the question.
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain

gummo
City, State: mesa

Post by gummo » Jun 27 2013 7:37 am

beterarcher wrote:Does anybody know where I can download an owner's manual for a Peak1 Apex II backpack stove? I picked one up for $25, right after I spent $20 on a Camping GAZ single that takes the punctureable cartridge. Boy do I feel STUPID! I cant find fuel for it anywhere in North America and shipping from Europe is completely out of the question.
See if anyone from craigslist or ebay is selling the Peak1 Apex II backpack stove and ask them if they can photocopy or scan & email the manual for a few bucks or buy one photocopy the manual and then return it, if possible.

beterarcher

Post by beterarcher » Jun 27 2013 8:32 am

gummo wrote:See if anyone from craigslist or ebay is selling the Peak1 Apex II backpack stove and ask them if they can photocopy or scan & email the manual for a few bucks or buy one photocopy the manual and then return it, if possible.
I already thought of that but I saw a pic of one and it looked like it might be two or three pages only. Not worth the time or effort, I'll just figure it out on my own.
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain

beterarcher

Post by beterarcher » Jun 27 2013 8:34 am

So the stove I got only has one small bottle. anybody know if another company's bottle will fit the Coleman? I already tried an MSR and no go. I cant seem to find an answer by Googling.
Anthony Bourdain

PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Jun 27 2013 9:28 am

@beterarcher
From what I've been able to read on these stoves, they use their own bottle AND it can only be filled 2/3 with fuel when using it... From the reports I've read, it heats faster than an MSR but fuel consumption is higher. I'll keep my eyes open for a manual and forward a copy if I get lucky.

For what it's worth... Campsaver has (had?) a great deal on Jetboil stoves... $69.95... with free shipping! I coudn't resist upgrading for that price.

beterarcher

Post by beterarcher » Jun 27 2013 9:34 am

PLC92084 wrote:they use their own bottle AND it can only be filled 2/3 with fuel when using it
that's what they say any way. I always push the envelope, whether it's tire pressure, fuel bottles or whatever. I wonder if you can change out the pump at the burner and use the MSR pump and bottle :-k
Anthony Bourdain

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Jun 27 2013 9:43 am

@PLC92084
Wondered how long it would take you.... :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

beterarcher

Post by beterarcher » Jun 27 2013 9:49 am

@Outdoor Lover
?
Anthony Bourdain

PLC92084

Post by PLC92084 » Jun 27 2013 9:53 am

@Outdoor Lover
@beterarcher

This is kind of an inside joke... Pam knows how cheap I am. The fact that I bought a new stove is hard for her to take in. There's just something about a great deal that's irresistible...

beterarcher

Post by beterarcher » Jun 27 2013 9:59 am

@PLC92084
Yeah, that's what I thought about the GAZ stove i bought yesterday. :roll:
Anthony Bourdain

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Jun 27 2013 11:37 am

@beterarcher
Paul really liked my Jetboil on the GG Trip...They all had a pool going and Paul was secretly hoping that I would dump the Jetboil to lighten my load.... I had a feeling that sooner or later he would be buying one, once he lost the Pool.... :sl:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

beterarcher

Post by beterarcher » Jun 27 2013 1:12 pm

@Outdoor Lover
That's pretty funny. I have heard nothing but good things about the Peak 1 Apex that I bought but I am having to bid on a fuel bottle on ebay because it didn't come with one. So far the bid is up to $9.00. I've got my fingers crossed.
Anthony Bourdain

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Jun 28 2013 8:53 am

Maybe you got a pump with the Apex stove, but you'd need/want that as well.
Here's a whole kit here in town at about 1/2 of what they are going for on fleabay > http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/sgd/3814319784.html

re. GAZ - even their screw-on canister stoves take a proprietary canister, those are very hard to come by and generally expensive when you find them. They are an awesome simmering stove, though, with a wide diffuser - very handy for someone who cooks, vs. merely boils water.
kurt

beterarcher

Post by beterarcher » Jun 28 2013 9:41 am

@hikeaz
Thanks Kurt, I think I'm going to wait and see if I win the bid on "Fleabay" :) . It is only up to $9.00 so far, and I've already got $25 invested in the Apex that I have. Maybe I shouldn't impulse purchase huh :|
Anthony Bourdain

PLC92084

Post by PLC92084 » Jun 28 2013 10:03 am

Impulse buying... :--: I can't say too much because I've gotten into trouble a time or two...

I actually shopped around for my MSR International when I got it two years ago...$40 got me the stove, a 22oz fuel bottle (that I can fill...), a bag, a tool kit and a user manual... I was thinking of selling it now that I've got the Jetboil but I'm going to hang on to it just in case...

VolcanoCLMBR
City, State: Phoenix

Post by VolcanoCLMBR » Jun 30 2013 8:55 am

Im a fan of my cheap $8 backpacking stove i found on amazon! Its definitely worth more than its price.
The world is my playground!

MtnBart01
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Jun 30 2013 8:20 pm

@beterarcher
If you don't get the bottle you can always make one for free.
http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=294822
I have an Msr Xgk I've had for years and a jet boil. I made one of these (fancy feast cat tin stoves a la Andrew Shurka YouTube) for my dad for his bicycle trips and when we tested it it boiled a quart of water in 5-7 minutes. I was so surprised I made another one to try on the trip above. Free, light, dependable no moving parts, and you can store the alcohol in a plastic pop bottle or any other container. It ends up boiling water as fast as my jetboil because all I have to do is fill it w/ approx. ounce of alcohol, light it and put up the wind screen. No assembly like the jeboil or my other stove. FYI it is more efficient with larger base pots since it is a side burner. :M2C:
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

Return to “Cookware & Stoves”