Backpacking Stoves.

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

Backpacking Stoves.

Post by mttgilbert » Apr 22 2003 3:20 pm

In honor of the new LNT links and due to my general interest, I'd like to hear what sort of campstoves everyone uses. And since summer is almost upon us I would like to encourage everyone to ditch the ol' campfire and pick up a stove if you haven't already.

I have always used white gas or solid fuel stoves. My favorite is an old Primus Optimus. Recently I found a Bluet and a Peak One Apex Two at a garage sale. I have tested them out in my kitchen but I would like to know more about these types of stoves and how efficient they are in the wilderness. Especially the peak one. It used a tremendous amount of fuel, more than I thought it should. Is this just how they work or am I doing something wrong

beterarcher
City, State: phoenix, az

Re: Backpacking Stoves.

Post by beterarcher » Jun 30 2013 8:54 pm

@MtnBart01
I struck out on the ebay bid and it was the only Coleman bottle on there. I'm steadily draining a few cans of my favorite beverage in an attempt to drown my sorrows over the defeat and make a pressurized penny stove.
Attachments
stove.jpg
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 01 2013 4:50 am

My next de-heavying of gear will be to make a soda can stove. I need to figure out a really SUL cook kit. I have been trying to lighten my load for years. My cook kit right now is kind of ridiculous. I have an MSR pocket rocket, which is not too bad on weight, but has those stupid cans you have to dispose of. But the rest of my cook kit needs a major overhaul.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

beterarcher

Post by beterarcher » Jul 01 2013 2:39 pm

:y: YAY, I won the bidding on a liter fuel bottle! So much for saving weight but at least I can use my stove now.

still gonna build the penny stove for fun.
Liz, if you don't want to build one they are available on ebay for just a couple bucks.
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain

beterarcher

Post by beterarcher » Jul 04 2013 6:53 pm

:y: :D
Here is my shiny new Penny stove. I put a Nickel on the fill hole to "pressurize" it. It takes a little priming. I held my lighter under it to warm the fuel but you can put a little fuel in a plate and light it then put the coin over the hole after it gets burning well.
Attachments
stove 001.jpg
stove 004.jpg
Anthony Bourdain

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 04 2013 7:05 pm

beterarcher wrote::y: :D
Here is my shiny new Penny stove. I put a Nickel on the fill hole to "pressurize" it. It takes a little priming. I held my lighter under it to warm the fuel but you can put a little fuel in a plate and light it then put the coin over the hole after it gets burning well.
Oh! Well! Now THAT is coolness!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

beterarcher

Post by beterarcher » Jul 05 2013 9:58 am

My penny stove brings 2 cups of water to a rolling boil in 5 min. :y:
1 oz of denatured alcohol. looks like enough fuel left to boil at least another 2 cups.
Anthony Bourdain

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jul 05 2013 10:41 am

And that's here at 1000 feet. It'll use less fuel and boil a lot faster at higher elevations.
Highway to hell

beterarcher

Post by beterarcher » Jul 05 2013 1:59 pm

AAARRRRGGG!!! ](*,) Why would a company make a product that doesn't fit their own product??!! The Coleman bottle I ordered on ebay came today and it doesn't fit the Coleman stove I all ready had. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) . I wonder if there is enough meat to tap new threads in the bottle and if there is, I wonder if Coleman had a proprietary thread that no one else has. Built in obsloescence is one thing but discontinuing a perfectly viable product is beyond stupidity. ](*,)
Anthony Bourdain

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 05 2013 2:05 pm

Right now you need Jim's "hate this" button!

beterarcher

Post by beterarcher » Jul 05 2013 2:18 pm

@azbackpackr
Yes Liz, Yes I do. I also need a drink.
Anthony Bourdain

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jul 05 2013 4:40 pm

beterarcher wrote:AAARRRRGGG!!! ](*,) Why would a company make a product that doesn't fit their own product??!! The Coleman bottle I ordered on ebay came today and it doesn't fit the Coleman stove I all ready had. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) . I wonder if there is enough meat to tap new threads in the bottle and if there is, I wonder if Coleman had a proprietary thread that no one else has. Built in obsloescence is one thing but discontinuing a perfectly viable product is beyond stupidity. ](*,)
Coleman has a nasty habit of building stoves with proprietary canisters and abandoning them after a few years. If they did the same thing with their car camping products, they would be long gone. I don't know why they bother to compete in the backpacking market. They must spend a bundle on R&D with their frequent changes, but it won't pay off for them they ditch they proprietary approach.

beterarcher

Post by beterarcher » Jul 05 2013 4:55 pm

Would anyone know how to determine the type of thread tap needed to re-thread the bottle to match my pump? I think there is enough material to do so.
Anthony Bourdain

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jul 06 2013 6:22 pm

beterarcher wrote:Would anyone know how to determine the type of thread tap needed to re-thread the bottle to match my pump? I think there is enough material to do so.
I'd be careful with that. Stop by a good machine shop, explain you have a problem, schmooze with them a wee bit and pay a few dollars if you have to. Trust it to a pro.
As a kid I worked at the Pioneer Industries Machine Shop on Washington & 24th. I took a lot of kiddin' but I developed respect for good machinists.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

beterarcher

Post by beterarcher » Jul 07 2013 8:21 pm

Update on my penny stove: I built a stand out of one of those beer can chicken roasters. It worked perfectly since it was meant to hold a 12oz. beverage can. I filled my 2qt. copper pot with 1qt. of tap water and it boiled in about 8 min. It kept a boil for about 10 min. I'm not sure exactly how much fuel I put in at the beginning, so controlled tests are on the agenda. My Next project is a wind screen to keep the heat where it belongs. I hope to cut down on the amount of time to come to a boil. I need to get an aluminum pot it will be much lighter in the pack also not as much mass to heat to achieve boil. I also need to come up with a way to change out stoves when one runs out of fuel. Needless to say they get pretty HOT.
Attachments
stove 010.jpg
stove 011.jpg
Anthony Bourdain

big_load

Post by big_load » Jul 07 2013 8:36 pm

beterarcher wrote:I also need to come up with a way to change out stoves when one runs out of fuel. Needless to say they get pretty HOT.
However, since they have so little mass, they also cool very quickly. I just wait a few seconds and refuel. The penny stove will cool a little slower than most alcohol stoves, but not a lot. If you really want to minimize fuel consumption, check out the Caldera Cone.

beterarcher

Post by beterarcher » Jul 07 2013 8:44 pm

@big_load
Those are slick looking. I think I can do something like that.
Anthony Bourdain

big_load

Post by big_load » Jul 07 2013 9:57 pm

@beterarcher One thing to keep in mind is that for each pot they support, they somehow figured the best height above the stove to suspend it. I don't know if they used thermal modeling or went strictly by measurements for each one.

MtnBart01
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Jul 08 2013 4:54 am

@big_load
I like the caldera design. Something like that would be more efficient than my aluminum foil windscreen for my cat tin stove.
@beterarcher
FYI The cat tin stove doesn't require a stand it's self supporting. I thought you were trying to simmer etc. If you are just boiling water, You ought to build a cat tin and compare side by side. I use a titanium pot, but my whole set up for the trip for boiling a couple quarts of water for the overnight trip weighed in at 7 ounces. I boiled 3 quarts 2 for meals and 1 for tea. It boiled a quart with a little over 1 ounce. It would be probably be a little more efficient with a caldera type design wind screen. BTW the lid for this pot also acts as a handle pad so I was able to lift the pot immediately off the stove and add more fuel if the stove went out before boiling. My windscreen was efficient enough on this trip to do the job. I did however notice it took longer with this narrower diameter pot than with the wider diameter pot I experimented with when I built my dad's. Since the flames come out of the holes (side burner) I think the cone windscreen will catch the heat that was escaping up the side of my pot.
http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=294823
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

Bradshaws
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Bradshaws » Jul 08 2013 6:55 pm

Has anyone seen or used the "emberlit stove"? http://www.emberlit.com/stoves .It's a break down wood burning stove that weighs in at 5.45oz. Right now I'm using a Snowpeak gigapower and it works awesome! Wind and rain don't slow it down but I would like to lose the fuel weight and space that go along with it. Also I would like to know if anyone knows if a wood burning backpacking stove would confict with fire restrictions? Thanks
“ you know what I think?... It doesn’t matter what I think”

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 08 2013 7:07 pm

I'm pretty sure that both alcohol burning soda can stoves and wood burning stoves are not allowable during fire restrictions.

Return to “Cookware & Stoves”