Lightweight Backpacks

Backpacks, Daypacks, Hydration Packs, etc...

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
hddan
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Lightweight Backpacks

Post by hddan »

Hi,

I'm looking to shave a few pounds off of my current internal frame pack. I'm looking to get a pack that I can use all year around so I need 3000-4000 c.i. capacity.

I'm looking at the following:

REI UL45 Large size
Golite Speed Pack
Gregory Z-Pack
Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone

If anyone has any suggestions as to which would be better, I would appreciate it. They are all within $60 of each other so price is really not a consideration. Thanks for your help.

Dan
kevinweitzel75
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Re: Lightweight Backpacks

Post by kevinweitzel75 »

Have to agree with you Liz, on the hammock thing. I'm more comfortable on the ground. Just need to find a lightweight ground cover. I heard fabric shower curtains work well. Seems a little short for me, I'm 6'1". Using a cheap tarp for now that works pretty good.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost
te_wa
City, State: Mesa

Post by te_wa »

lightweight ground cover?? i know nothing of this if you ask me... :sl:

http://gossamergear.com/shelters/shelte ... edium.html

http://zpacks.com/accessories/tyvek.shtml

http://zpacks.com/shelter/cuben_groundsheet.shtml

a large yard leaf hefty bag also works, but not gonna last a whole season.
squirrel!
hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz »

Ace Hdw. sells various thicknesses of plastic by the foot/yard.
"The censorship method ... is that of handing the job over to some frail and erring mortal man, and making him omnipotent on the assumption that his official status will make him infallible and omniscient."
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
kevinweitzel75

Post by kevinweitzel75 »

Sheets of plastic! :doh:
Robert Frost
PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 »

kevinweitzel75 wrote:Sheets of plastic!
This is pretty funny, actually! I'm trying to find a high(er)-tech alternative to the blue 5x7 tarp I've been using and I'm seeing references to polyolefin sheet plastic... That will shrink in hot weather!! I was thinking some of the new sil-nylon would be perfect but I'm not so sure...
kevinweitzel75

Post by kevinweitzel75 »

PLC92084 wrote:I've been using and I'm seeing references to polyolefin sheet plastic... That will shrink in hot weather!!
How hot are they considering hot, is my question. I think I am going to try the leaf bag that Te-Wa suggested. I have been using a cheap tarp also. Mine is alittle big...8x10. (I think) Figure if need be, can make a shelter with it. But, lighter the better. I bought an Osprey Atmos 65 pack the other day. Found it on Craigs List, brand new and only paid $150 for it. Not really what I was looking for, but I have wanted one for awhile now, and couldn't beat the price. At just over 3 pounds, need to drop as much weight as possible on my gear. Time to look at my gear again for the 10th time. :D
Robert Frost
te_wa

Post by te_wa »

tyvek "house wrap" is the best choice. silnylon will do you no good, its like a greased dance floor and you in banana peel shoes.

go to lowes or the home depot for tyvek. or, you can buy it from a vendor. ebay has it cheap too.
squirrel!
hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz »

"The censorship method ... is that of handing the job over to some frail and erring mortal man, and making him omnipotent on the assumption that his official status will make him infallible and omniscient."
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot »

ended, must've gone quick.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!
te_wa

Post by te_wa »

i have had many packs. probably about 10 of them, starting with an old arc'teryx bora 65 before i started the journey to lighter gear. i finally settled on the ONE. gossamer gear gorilla. just checked the site, and it looks like my 9 year old son is getting a new gift for the upcoming holidays. Trishness might find this pack a good fit (for little ppl and leprechauns, too!). http://gossamergear.com/kids-mariposa-u ... kpack.html
squirrel!
outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover »

Hyperlite is working on an Ultralight Backpack that shows Promise. I saw a Prototype in Ouray. There are currently 3 Prototypes in use at this Moment for three people that are doing a Two,Month long Thru-hike of the Entire Length of the Grand Canyon.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Return to “Packs”