Small female backpacker gear advice

Backpacks, Daypacks, Hydration Packs, etc...

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
domromer
City, State: Flagstaff

Small female backpacker gear advice

Post by domromer » Apr 12 2006 5:55 pm

My wife is looking for a new bag. She currently uses a large daypack for 1-2 night backpacking trips. In september we are planning a 5 night trip into the grand canyon and we wanted to get her a nice bag with a decent internal frame system. Her pack weight is usually between 30-40lb and she is just under 5ft tall. Any ideas? Also we would like to keep the price under 250$

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Apr 12 2006 6:11 pm

please get with me to view a Gregory Siren 40

http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/Actio ... rodId/4322

my wife does not use, it was used ONE time at Havasupai. I'll cut you a deal if it fits, which it should. Mike

p.s. this is made for 1-2 days personal, but if she packs small (down, warm weather, and so on) and you carry the larger items it is plenty capable. I'll let it go for $80
:D

Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Apr 12 2006 8:20 pm

Dom,

I might suggest a pack or two since I'm only 5'1" and had a tough time finding one that fits me well.....I have a Gregory Deva 60 that's a great technical pack and fits from 14" up. Mine is an XS and is 3200 cubes and I've managed to pack 35 pounds in that thing. Due to the size, I found it's good only for a two night backpack trip so I bought a Kelty Shadow (fits 12" and up) which is 4500 cubes and a little bit lighter. I love this pack since it can hold a lot more and seems to fit me better plus it holds a heck of lot more. The Deva was $249 and the Kelty was $169.

I might want to unload the Gregory Deva 60 in May so if Mike's pack doesn't fit or meet your expectations, PM me and we'll talk. It's only been used 4 times and is in brand new condition.

:mrgreen:
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

domromer

Post by domromer » Apr 13 2006 6:50 pm

Thanks Trish,

let me know when you are ready to sell. My wife likes the look of that pack.

Trishness

Post by Trishness » Apr 13 2006 8:42 pm

The Gregory Deva 60 is a nice pack!!! I've used it 3 times and my cousin is using it next weekend when we go to Havasu Canyon. Otherwise I'd offer it up for a "loan" for her to try it out.

It has some nice features and easily holds 100 oz water bladder in a hydration pocket. Has a separate sleeping bag compartment and three easily accessible outside pockets, even a place to stick a nalgene bottle. My only complaint is that it's just not big enough for me if I'm going on a multi-day backpack (since I bring my own of everything) but if you have a pack that can carry the larger stuff that you share (tent, footprint etc) then this is a great pack for her.

Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

domromer

Post by domromer » Apr 24 2006 2:07 pm

In response to mikeinFHAZ's reply:

Mike - I don't think my husband ever responded to your kind offer. Unfortunately, the bag is a bit smaller than what I will need. Many thanks anyway, Sandra.

domromer

Post by domromer » Apr 24 2006 2:09 pm

In response to Trishness' reply: Hope you guys had a great time at Havasu.

My wife is interested in the Deva - are you planning on holding on to it for a while ? And can you tell us if it is a 2006 model ? Plum or blue ? And if you are selling, what you might be asking for the bag ?

Thanks.

Trishness

Post by Trishness » Apr 24 2006 7:50 pm

Dom,

Havasu was great! I just sent you a PM regarding that pack.

Trish-Kabob

Return to “Packs”