Packing Rope

Backpacks, Daypacks, Hydration Packs, etc...

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
kgmolson
City, State: Phoenix

Packing Rope

Post by kgmolson » May 21 2008 10:40 pm

Do you guys carry any rope in your pack just in case? If so, how much.

I am thinking about picking up a few feet to throw in the pack just in case I may need it.

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Packing Rope

Post by joebartels » May 21 2008 11:29 pm

For emergency 25 foot range you might consider webbing. It's cheap, tough, light and stuffs into day packs easier.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » May 22 2008 9:49 am

In response to kgmolson:

For the unexpected, I always carry 35' of 3/16" rope with a carabineer at one end. I have yet to need it while hiking in AZ, but have needed it a few times in CALIF remote canyons for Anza Borrego Desert State Park. IF I ever hike our AZ "Devils Chasm", I bet my rope will come in handy for pulling my day pack up/down on that ~12' waterfall section that everyone talks about:
Attachments
Devils Chasm Hike.Ken12.16.07.waterfall.JPG
Devils Chasm 12'+ at 12/16/07
Last edited by Grasshopper on May 22 2008 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » May 22 2008 12:49 pm

2" webbing; standard rescue webbing, basically. It rolls up really nicely. Usually carry about twenty feet on longer treks...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Davis2001r6
City, State: Bordeaux, France

Post by Davis2001r6 » May 22 2008 6:18 pm

Is webbing easier to handle for the equivalent size/weight of rope?

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » May 22 2008 7:59 pm

No and I'm sure some stud climber will reply with something like "dude that's not the proper use of webbing". Nevertheless I think the weight/size makes it ideal for the "just in case" angle.

If you really want to go light chain link Dynemma slings, but that's not going to be cheap.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » May 22 2008 9:03 pm

Webbing is a lot more versatile than rope for the unexpected that might come along. Although, carrying something thin and small is always useful too, something like 550-cord. Hauling a kernmantle up a trail without any specific need for it isn't fun unless you want extra weight, and short pieces of webbing will do things that a comparably short piece of rope won't, I've found.

I do know a guy that takes a 45-foot piece of 6mm static core with him everywhere and refuses to even touch webbing, so I guess it really is just a matter of opinion...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by mttgilbert » May 25 2008 8:01 am

depending on what I'm doing I like to have a little of both. About 15 feet of webbing (enough for an anchor, a short haul, or to tie a seat) and about 40 feet of six mil static line for hauling, handline, or emergency rapel. Add a biner or two and you've got just about everything you could ever need or want. The whole bundle weighs in at just over a pound so it's not a huge addition to a small daypack. I rarely bring it on hikes, but for "non-technical" canyoneering it can be a real nice thing to have.
Cogito ergo ambulo cum sacculo
-Matt Gilbert

Return to “Packs”