Im new and need some help.

Backpacks, Daypacks, Hydration Packs, etc...

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Out for some air
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Im new and need some help.

Post by Out for some air » Jul 09 2009 5:34 pm

My wife and i hike alot and are interested in backpacking. The trips wont be any longer then 3 or 4 days. Mostly overnighters. I have no clue where to start in gear. Can anyone give me some suggestions on all the gear i will need. Something that wont require a loan to buy lol. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Re: Im new and need some help.

Post by te_wa » Jul 09 2009 5:44 pm

need a pack?
easiest way is to go to AZ Hiking Shack, or REI at the least, and get fitted for one. Get a pack with a framesheet, and look for Lightweight models like the Osprey Exos http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/ExosSeriesVentilated/ or a frameless pack where you use your sleeping pad unrolled inside for support like the Granite Gear Vapor Trail (and Vapor Ki) http://www.granitegear.com/products/bac ... trail.html
:D

Out for some air

Post by Out for some air » Jul 09 2009 5:47 pm

Thanks for the ideas! Do you have any other helpfull hints for gear. I have no clue what i will need and ive been staring at this website for the past days straight doing reserch lol. ANy info would help thanks

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Jul 09 2009 6:05 pm

I'm thinking how I got started. A 'mentor" took me through packing his pack, discussed what is needed, what's optional, whats great to have.

Google Back packing gear lists, I'm sure REI, Backpacker have lists

I've been thru 2+ generations of gear--cheap and heavy-- little more costly and lighter--and now some pretty good but pricy stuff mixed in. Borrow some to get started, you don't need the high end gear to start

Cheap aluminum pot (check out the back of your cabinets or second had stores) all you need to do is boil water 1-2 quart is enough
some kind of stove-all sorts of options, I have a $39 GAZ gas cartidge model but there are lighter, pricier, and different fuel options
Gatorade quart bottles for water bottles (2 or 3)
spend what you want on a sleeping bag. REI sub kilo 20degree has been great for me
Tent-all kind of options, lighter is better, double wall. Sierra designs has some classics, someone else can help here
pack-dont' skimp and get a good fit, Osprey makes some great ones
shoes-its all about the fit, pay what it takes. your toes must not touch the front of the shoe even when you kick a tree
liner socks under thick socks
some plastic sheeting for protection or a "Space blanket" (aluminized plastic)
mattress of some sort, the blue foam is ok to start, if you stick with it you'll graduate to a blow up like therma rest or ?

Resist the option to add gadgets, no matter how light, you carry it every step of the way.

$.02
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

te_wa

Post by te_wa » Jul 09 2009 6:12 pm

here's a basic principle for any backpacking gear.
you can have...
cheap
light
good

pick any 2

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jul 09 2009 6:17 pm

In response to te-wa:
Interesting that gets the ol' mind churning :-k

In response to Out for some air:
You can get an idea of what people are packing by viewing their packs
http://hikearizona.com/packs.php
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

nonot

Post by nonot » Jul 09 2009 6:51 pm

Go out and find a lighter weight backpack in the 45-55 liter range that weighs 2.5 lbs or less. Try it on, adjust it. It should have a comfortable waistbelt and chest strap and be comfortable on your shoulders.
Supplement with a sleeping bag 700-800 fill down rated 15 degrees below how cold it gets at night when and where you plan to go.
If you need an air mattress get an inflatable one, else get a cheap closed cell foam pad.
If you want a tent, look for a one or man tent that you are comfortable sitting up in, for 1 man, shoot for 2.5 lbs or less, for 2 man, 4 lbs or less. Some prefer hammocks.
Get either a cheap aluminum wally world pot or a nice titanium one. i recommend a pop can stove (make your own), but the light ones work well that screw onto the small isobutane canisters.
Fuel for your stove (denatured alcohol for pop can, isobutance container for screw on)
Camelback, the largest they carry.
MSR Dromedary bag.
I like my MSR miniworks water filter, opinions vary.
Figure out what you like to eat in the backcountry - Mountain House, freezer bag cooking, mac and cheese (clean up is a pain).
Granola bars, snack bars, jerky, pretzels, cheese and peanut butter crackers, etc. Aim to have a small snack every hour or so. Bring stuff you like!
Get some baby wipes or tougher towlette types of cleanup (AZ doesn't have all that many water sources), pack a small toothbrush and travel toothpaste, deoderant.
Grab a handkerchief.
Map and compass.
GPS optional but recommended.
Camera optional but recommended.
Hiking poles optional but recommended.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

Out for some air

Post by Out for some air » Jul 09 2009 7:13 pm

In response to nonot:
Thank you very much. That was exactly what i was looking for. Im on my way to buy some of these supplies now. Cant wait to get out and see the back countries of AZ

te_wa

Post by te_wa » Jul 09 2009 7:35 pm

nonot wrote:Get some baby wipes or tougher towlette types of cleanup
good stuff nonot!

one of the most invaluable things i recently learned is to bring on my trips some baby wipes dried out and re-hydrated at camp. the mild soap in them still remains even when dry and they'll last a good number of times. you can actually wash them in a machine and re-use! (except for um.. some uses)

also if you like tinkerin' a bit you can stop over here and follow the rabbit hole down, way down. www.zenstoves.net

bryanmertz

Post by bryanmertz » Jul 09 2009 9:48 pm

It's going to take you a few trips to figure out what's really the best for you. I love my $5 pop can stove I got of ebay - that saved weight allows me to carry more wine.

I think the first over night trip I went on I used a school back pack, and had close to no real backpacking gear. I still wore cotton socks too. Now I have three different sleeping bags, couple different stove options, headlamps, etc. Your destination will determine what's needed more than what you want to bring.

Horton Spring is a nice easy entry into overnight backpacking I think this time of year.

I don't think I could go without a thermarest anymore, and a headlamp is pretty essential.

nonot

Post by nonot » Jul 10 2009 1:13 am

Good point on the headlamp. Also, some nits: spork, if the pop can stove bring some aluminum foil for a windscreen, a tiny bic lighter to start your stove. Possibly some lightweight clothes to change into to sleep in (especially if you plan on hiking somewhere muddy, clean up before you ruin your sleeping bag.)
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Jul 10 2009 4:25 am

Eh, gear is overrated. Once I forgot my toothbrush on a seven day outing and pine twigs with the needles trimmed back work well. Then I once forgot my toilet paper. Learn which leaves to use and some rocks work ok too.

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Jul 10 2009 6:01 am

Amen on the headlamp, and the shake down cruises, it''ll take a few trips to find what works for you. One good way is to go with a group and see what sparks your interest.

Food-repackage Lipton "sides" (cooks in 7 minutes) into snack size ziplocks for dinners. Add a 3 oz tin of chicken or tuna and thats a meal. Do the same with oatmeal-package 2/3 c oats, some powdered milk, dash of salt into a snack ziplock. When you cook it add some raisins if you like, take a zip lock of brown sugar-good hot breakfast will stick with you quite awhile. Lunch is always tough for me-bagles pack well, some hard cheeze, some kind of salami-stays pretty good for several days. Hasn't made me sick yet.

When I am getting ready for a longer trip, I think thru the day, what will I need for this, for that, etc. Also, I start packing a few days a head of time, so I have time to remember, and throw out things I thought I needed but reconsidered.

Stocking cap, cotton gloves. Tpaper and mini-shovel.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jul 13 2009 4:39 pm

Consider renting. I think that REI still has some rental equipment. I'm pretty sure that Peace Surplus in Flagstaff has some rentals. Arizona Hiking Shack might still rent. And Summit Hut in Tucson might have some rental equipment. Check out their websites and call around. You might be able to try out some packs, tents and stoves before buying.

I have checklists in Microsoft Excel of equipment I own and equipment I would like to have. There will always be something new and lighter, you just get what you need and upgrade over time.

I agree with te-wa. I buy good & light. I avoid cheap and I think this strategy has saved me money in the long run.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

te_wa

Post by te_wa » Jul 13 2009 5:02 pm

i guess now that i think about it (dont know why it took so long? must be getting old :o )
you can pick up almost all of your major purchases, including clothing (dont wear cotton [the death fabric] unless in mid-summer and you expect NO sudden risk of hypothermia) cooksets, bags, tents, packs, pads, whatever whatever...
right here: STP
look for brands like Patagonia, Golite, Cloudburst, Royal Robbins, Mountain Hardwear, Alps Mountaineering (tents only), Sierra Designs, Marmot, Eureka, Chaco, Teva, Montrail, Icebreaker, Smartwool, Ex Officio to name a few.

gringoantonio
City, State: Boise, ID

Post by gringoantonio » Jul 13 2009 7:19 pm

First aid kit.

And a small shovel or sturdy bags for your deuces. Sticks & hands dig fine, but a shovel's much faster. Bury it or carry it.

Duct tape has never failed to come in handy. I wrap some around a small, flat piece of cardboard and it fits in my first aid kit.

If you do go with one of the soda can stoves or something similar, you can save fuel/weight/time by pre-soaking dehydrated food in a bottle before you cook it.

P.S. First aid kit! With moleskin or gauze + duct tape.

P.P.S. REI frequently has free intro to backpacking and intro to map and compass classes. I think their PV store has one coming up in 2 weeks.

Good luck!

azdesertfather
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by azdesertfather » Jul 13 2009 10:51 pm

Oh, few things worse than an unprepared deuce in the desert :D

BTW, if you're in the Tempe area, there is a "Pack Light, Pack Right" class at REI Tempe this Wednesday night (July 15) at 6:30pm...might want to attend that.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

kevinweitzel75
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Apr 17 2010 11:19 pm

Hit up Craigslist. But be careful. I found a Magellan Triton 400 GPS for $40, and a Thermosrest pad for $15. Sportsmans has some pretty good deals on packs and stuff.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

Return to “Packs”