REI Stoke 19 Daypack--Clearance Sale

Backpacks, Daypacks, Hydration Packs, etc...

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

REI Stoke 19 Daypack--Clearance Sale

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 09 2010 7:01 am

I just ordered this daypack to replace my REI Flash daypack I have been using for a couple of years. The Flash pack is very comfortable, but I am a "fusser." I need my chapstick. I need my hanky. I forgot to put my sunglasses on. My knee starts to hurt--where's my Ibuprofen? My cell phone rings (Hey, I hike, bike and ski alone. When I do hike with friends I try to remember to have it off, or they can get very annoyed!) I want a quick snack while I'm walking. I need this, I want that. My ski pants don't have pockets. My hiking pants do, and I do fill them with my fussy stuff, plus more fussy stuff inside my pack.

Ok, so this REI Stoke 19 I just ordered from the clearance sale even has pockets in the hipbelt!!! Woohoo!!! It is just the kind of overkill on a daypack that I was looking for, but is made with the lightweight material. I can't wait for it to arrive! I hope it fits well.

With the Flashpack, I had to stop, take it off, take off my mittens, undo the drawstring and grapple with jacket and other stuff in there, often removing a pile of stuff and having to place it on top of my skis, just to find those inside pockets where I keep all my fussy stuff! And I never did use my reversible Flashpack as a stuffsack. Plus, I still will have it if I want to use it. (Te-wa knows...I never get rid of anything! His museum is lacking, due to me holding on to gear for 35 years...)

Anyone else using this pack? The reviews said some people are using it for biking, so that is good, too, since I bike all the time. Anyway, it's in today's REI clearance sale.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

allanalxndr
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phx, AZ

Re: REI Stoke 19 Daypack--Clearance Sale

Post by allanalxndr » Jan 09 2010 7:26 am

My Fiance has the same pack (http://www.rei.com/product/762536 - different color) and has been using it for the last couple years. It easily holds a days worth of gear for hiking and she says its very comfortable. Normally all the packs that she uses cut into her collar bones but she doesn't have any issues with this pack.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 09 2010 8:13 am

Thanks for the info, Allan. I notice your link shows a women's specific pack. So I hope the generic one will not be too long for me. I guess if I wanted the women's version I'd have had to pay full price. So we will just have to see.

I have problems with packs if they have that collar dealy around the back of your neck that is part of the strap--the straps are attached to it. I hate those things. This one has the straps coming right directly out of the body of the pack. That should work.

On the reviews, someone complained about the sternum strap. I can easily fix that, if it is a problem, because I'm good at sewing, and have access to all kinds of gear fabric, webbing and buckles from my previous job as a backpack sewing person. Not sure I could fix it if the body of is too long, though.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

allanalxndr
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phx, AZ

Post by allanalxndr » Jan 09 2010 5:36 pm

Most of the Specs match up between the two but the unisex model is for torsos between 17-19. Volume and everything else seems to match (give or take a bit in weight).

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 30 2010 7:53 pm

I love this pack! It has all the bells and whistles, but you don't even know it's on you when you're wearing it. It has the hipbelt pockets for my chapstick, etc. It has the two water bottle pockets in case I don't want to use the camelbak (or in addition to the water bladder) and I can also use one of those side pockets for the GPS. There is a thing I can loop the GPS through to keep it secure. There are a couple of things I don't know what they are for. One of them is the drawstring at the top. I don't see that it functions as a compression device, so I don't know what it's for. And that also has a little hook on it, seems to want to hook to the top handle. Weird. Why don't these things come with directions? There is this teensy little elastic bungie loopy thing, too, on the top of the pack. Doesn't look strong enough to hold either ice axe or hiking stick. Not sure what it's for.

Anyway, I like it.

I would not want to use this pack in catclaw, but it will be great for the White Mtns. I would not recommend it for any serious desert bushwhacking and scrambling, where there is thick brush or a lot of rough rock scrambling. It would just get all torn up. Otherwise, it is fine for trail hiking and for the kind of off-trail open country hiking I do a lot of, plus cross country skiing. And it is going to work well for mtn. biking, too.

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Sep 28 2010 11:06 pm

I picked up one of these a few weeks ago in Phoenix because I didn't want to lug my big pack on a 104F dayhike. I'm pretty happy with it so far, it's a much more functional replacement for my Camelbak Blowfish.

@azbackpackrThat thing you mentioned really is a supposed to be a compression (or at least a load-control) device. I think that little bungee loop is there to allow one-handed operation of the drawstring while also allowing it to be easily released to open the pack. To me they're just gimmicks, but I don't mind them because overall I think it's a nice little pack.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Sep 29 2010 4:10 am

Yes, I agree. I didn't take it to Utah with me though, took my REI flashpack, since I thought my son and I might go backpacking, but we only went dayhiking. (Yes, it was amazing. He lives in the Boulder area, north of Escalante.)

no avatar
Xenim
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Xenim » Nov 21 2010 9:07 am

I just got this pack for my cycling journeys and it's very good. The best thing about it is that like Allan said it doesn't cut into my collar bones. Other packs I have work always leave my collars sore and red but this one doesn't thankfully.

I don't know if this is helpful but http://peblueprint.com/bathmate-hydromax-review has a good review of the Bathmate Hydromax.
Last edited by Xenim on Dec 23 2015 1:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.

kevinweitzel75
Kokevinkopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Nov 21 2010 9:46 am

Looks like my day pack. The only difference is I got mine a Wally World for $20! Outdoor brand. I know, I'm cheap. But it's comfortable, water proof and has alot of pockets. Only problem, is that it weighs too much. I have been looking for another day pack, but really don't need one. Rather spend the money on my Kelty Light Year sleeping bag.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Nov 21 2010 11:03 am

The Stoke is very light--it is made out of that lightweight ripstop stuff. I have had it for awhile now and I really like it.

imike
Finger Rock Kokopelli
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Nov 21 2010 1:12 pm

looks like one is up on auction at E-Bay... $12?
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

Dave1
Articulate Adventurer
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Dave1 » Dec 07 2010 1:48 pm

Right now the Stoke 19 is $19.94 on rei-outlet.com with the 20% off coupon. Its bright orange though...

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Dec 07 2010 2:50 pm

Dave1 wrote:Right now the Stoke 19 is $19.94 on rei-outlet.com with the 20% off coupon. Its bright orange though...
That's a great deal! I wish it were a little bigger, but I've used mine quite a bit the last few months.

Davis2001r6
Italian Kokopelli
City, State: Suffolk, UK

Post by Davis2001r6 » Dec 08 2010 7:23 am

Thanks, I picked one up for the wife. She doesn't normally like to carry anything but this seems small enough and able to hold the essentials.

Davis2001r6
Italian Kokopelli

Post by Davis2001r6 » Dec 27 2010 8:10 am

This looks like a good little pack. Pretty small but just needed it for the wife to carry a few things on her own. Holds just enough for a few water bottles on side pockets, has a bladder pocket too. Inside pockets enough for a rain jacket, first aid kit and lunch. Plus it has hipbelt pockets for easy access to your camera or some power bars. A nice pack for $20.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 27 2010 11:23 am

Yes, I am sure "the wife" needs to do some things "on her own."

Sheesh.

Davis2001r6
Italian Kokopelli

Post by Davis2001r6 » Dec 27 2010 1:03 pm

Well when I was deployed or TDY for over half of last year and she tries to take the dog out for an adventure wearing one of my packs that doesn't fit, she does need some things for when she's "on her own". Not sure what your implying, this pack is way too small for me.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 27 2010 1:09 pm

Ok.

Return to “Packs”